Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

He wants a little sister for Christmas, should I give him one???

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 4:53 PM
  • 42 Replies

My son asked me for a little sister...

I wonder how serious he is about it.  

Sorta breaks my heart, I was not planning on having any more children.  

I can't have another baby just because my 3 year old wants a sister, can I?  

See, I was always pretty neutral in the baby department, I thought 1 was enough.  I think "only child syndrome" consists of some fantastic qualities lol.  However I was always open to the idea of a 2nd, especially when I imagined what she would be like.  

It was always my husband that was "No way!"...We arn't on PA or anything, but we arn't exactly financially secure either, we do okay.  Having another baby would not put us over the edge or send us into poverty- we would be alright.  He always said he would only be open to it if we had more money.  Once we have a nice fat savings account and once he becomes 10 years younger then he said he would want another.  

He thinks he is too old and we are too poor.  Frankly, he is exaggerating a lot but I can't convince him otherwise and never really tried to because I was pretty neutral.  I mean, I could see the reasons we shouldn't, and the reasons we should....

My son though, he loves babies (so sweet and gentle with them too), and every time he sees one he asks me for a little sister.  Even gets upset when I give the run around and avoid that question cause I dont know what to tell him...  

My thing is, I dont believe siblings should be very far apart, the father apart the less point I see in having a sibling at all.  

Im nearing my own personal limitation, I wouldn't want more than 5 years MAXIMUM between them...Basically if I want another I needed to be pregnant yesterday.  

What do you all think?  

How much pull does your little one have regarding your uterine activities?  

What should I do???  

by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 4:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Oh, my son is 3 1/2...If I got pregnant at the start of 2013 my sone would be well into his 4th year by the time baby came in October.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 26, 2012 at 4:57 PM

I have three children and my oldest keeps asking for baby brothers. She wants twins....

Perhaps make a spreadsheet of costs and show that to your husband and then have a conversation about it. Also, explore the subject with your child. Sometimes kids ask for what seems like concrete things and they actually want something else.

Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 4:57 PM

My husband is 36 and im 25

Hannahluvsdogs
by Ruby Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 4:58 PM
5 moms liked this

Having another child is a serious decision, your 3 year old shouldn't be making it for you. Get a pet instead.

pinkjimmies06
by Silver Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 4:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Once your kids are like 5 years apart they tend to have qualities more in line with onlies.

ETA: I have an only and am on the fence. It never seems like a good time to start over.

So_Devious20
by Misha Lovegood<3 on Nov. 26, 2012 at 5:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Dd is 5 and constantly asks for a little sister. But of course I'm not going to have another kid just because she wants one. She can't raise a kid or pay for one. It's about what Dh and I want and are willing to have.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AleaKat
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 5:00 PM
My sister got me for her birthday. She had asked for a sister. She was 8 when they announced me to her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 5:03 PM

You are right, thats my issue with my son...how much of it is a fleeting feeling and how much does he mean it?  Cause he plays great with them at daycare, and loves his baby cousins.  

However its very obvious how unwilling he is to share ME, anytime I pay any other child any attention...seems fine with me holding little bitty babies, but man put another toddler in my lap and the claws come out.  

Quoting Anonymous:

I have three children and my oldest keeps asking for baby brothers. She wants twins....

Perhaps make a spreadsheet of costs and show that to your husband and then have a conversation about it. Also, explore the subject with your child. Sometimes kids ask for what seems like concrete things and they actually want something else.

Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 5:04 PM

We have lots of pets, he isn't making the decision obviously but I am reconsidering it because of his position.  

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

Having another child is a serious decision, your 3 year old shouldn't be making it for you. Get a pet instead.

Hannahluvsdogs
by Ruby Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 5:07 PM

I guess I don't think his opinion should be a factor. You can't give him everything he asks for.

Quoting Matriarch87:

We have lots of pets, he isn't making the decision obviously but I am reconsidering it because of his position.  

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)