Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Thankfulness for gifts even if they're cheap or not what you want...

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 5:06 PM
  • 4 Replies
1 mom liked this
I hope to teach this to my son. He's going on 16 months old so I guess right now he learns by example.

I had a flashback of something that happened with my mothers mother when I was really young, like 8 maybe.

She gave me a present all wrapped up so nicely. When I opened it is was a baby doll and my mom knew it was from the dollar store.

Anyway, when she leaves, my mom cops this attitude about how cheap the present is and how could she get me a baby doll because I'm into barbies and big girl things. Not some cheap baby from the dollar store that was for 2 yr olds.

Well the woman, I have a hard time saying grandma bc she was barely In my life, she was very poor but her heart was in the right place and I was actually proud to get a gift from her.

My mom went so nuts that I threw the doll away lol.

I wish that my mom would have taught me a lesson I hope to teach my own children. Be gracious for any and every present.

My whole life growing up presents were so hard and I was so bad at receiving and I think it's all from that day. Lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 5:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
kenziesmomma228
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 5:09 PM
I plan to teach my children the same. Have a great holiday season :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vlynn.iowa
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 5:13 PM

I have taught my children that (19, 17 and 13).  I taught them that a gift is just that a gift and the giver did not have to give it.  This means that even if you don't like it or it is cheap you appreciate the gesture and are gratious towards the giver.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 26, 2012 at 5:14 PM
WTF is up with your sn?
A_McCool
by Silver Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 5:20 PM

My mom tried to teach me that lesson.  It didn't stick.  I know how I should react, but, in the moment, it never happens that way.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)