Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm worried about the little girl upstairs...

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 9:29 PM
  • 155 Replies
1 mom liked this

We have had issues with the family upstairs since we moved in to our apartment (which was in August).  The woman would tromp around like an elephant, and I would hear her screaming at her developmentally disabled 4 year old daughter, followed by terrified screaming.  I know the difference between a child playing, throwing a tantrum, and real fear, and trust me, this were truly terrified screams.

We called the police after hearing these things, as did other neighbors on her floor.  She would go around, door to door, demanding to know who called, and then continued to scream like a banshee, telling people it was none of her business.  I would never answer my door, as her pounding and screaming at my door would scare my 4 month old, and then I would have to spend my next half hour calming him back to sleep.

Lately it has been oddly quiet.  She still tromps around, but I have hear absolutely nothing from the little girl.  No pitter-pattering of her running around, no tantrums, no screams, and no giggles.  I don't know she and her husband got their child taken from them, if the child is staying with a relative while the couple works out their issues, or if something more serious happened to her.  I would call the police, but after calling the complex to tell them my concerns, they told me they would look in to it, as if I called the police for NOT hearing noise, and they DID check it out, my neighbor could press charges for harrassment.

DH tells me not to worry, and perhaps I shouldn't... I don't know if it is my maternal instinct, but I still worry about the poor child.

***UPDATE***

I must, say, I am having some extremely mixed feelings.

When CPS came today, I all of a sudden heard the little girl around.  She didn't seem happy, but at least I heard her.  I just think it's really odd that, after almost a week of not hearing or seeing a single thing from the little girl, all of a sudden she's running around.  CPS said the girl was thin, but not malnourished.  I tried to explain to her that the little girl was never thin to begin with... she used to be just a little chubby.  Perhaps she just lost the weight naturally, but I'm still skeptical.  I hope everything is okay, but I still think the whole thing is suspicious.  I guess I'll keep my nose out of it until I have some hard evidence that something is wrong.

by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 9:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Dimples04
by Bronze Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 9:31 PM
10 moms liked this
I hope she is safe. Update when you find out.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
philly_mom
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Will do!

Quoting Dimples04:

I hope she is safe. Update when you find out.

jessecutez
by Silver Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 9:35 PM
You never see her coming or going? Odd
philly_mom
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 9:38 PM

No, the woman rarely leaves her apartment, but I really started noticing the little girl's absence when DH and I saw the neighbor and her husband coming home from the grocery store on Thanksgiving and the little girl was nowhere to be found.  (We had the windows open because we were baking bread and making other foods to take to the in-law's, so it wasn't like we were stalking or anything.)

Quoting jessecutez:

You never see her coming or going? Odd

CABZS
by Emerald Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 9:53 PM
6 moms liked this

You can call the cops anonymously, therefore, no harrassment charges.

Explain your fears & ask them to do a home check.

philly_mom
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 9:54 PM

I may do that, thank you!  I didn't realize that was a possibility... I haven't had many dealings with the police at all.

Quoting CABZS:

usmcwifey11
by Platinum Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 9:54 PM
I would call anonymously.
LucyHarper
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 9:56 PM

I would call the police and tell them you haven't heard or seen the child in a while sfter hearing screams and are worried. Same thing happened when my husband was a little kid, his uncles had locked him in the basement.

CABZS
by Emerald Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 9:56 PM
9 moms liked this

Yes.

I would also make a call to CPS (which you can do anonymously as well) and explain the situation & let them know you are very worried about the little girl bc you all here her all the time but haven't heard or seen her for days.

Calling them covers all bases.

Quoting philly_mom:

I may do that, thank you!  I didn't realize that was a possibility... I haven't had many dealings with the police at all.

Quoting CABZS:

Jessica_Esqueda
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 9:57 PM

I would call anonymously and report what you just wrote here. If she is injured, ill, or worse, someone needs to know. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)