Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Take him to school sick?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Here's the run down. Kiddo went to the doctor this morning and has an ear infection and was given amoxicillin.

This evening he was running a fever of 101.9

I have my well woman exam tomorrow and I can't reschedule, first of all it's too late and I'd have to pay a 50 dollar fee but it also took me months to get an appointment.

So take him to school tomorrow or take him with me? There is no alternative childcare and he's 3
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:20 PM
Replies (21-30):
Lizardannie1966
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:27 PM

He shouldn't be going to the preschool with a fever and they may very well call you to come pick him up once they discover he's running a temperature.

Explain to your doctor's office and even make a copy of your son's own doctor's appointment (any receipt or charge slip) this morning to help get out of the extra fee. Maybe they'll understand?

robyann
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Take him with you.....if you take him to school and they see he has a fever they will be calling you to come get him anyway.

Peaceful.chaos
by Ruby Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:28 PM
Maybe take some things to keep him occupied and it probably wont be so bad. I don't know what it's like going to an appt WITHOUT a kid..lol

Quoting Anonymous:

True, and my appointment is 45 minutes from the school.

Quoting Peaceful.chaos:

I know the schools here will send the kid home immediately if they have a fever. It might make you miss your appt if you have to go pick him up anyway.

Quoting Anonymous:

the fever is from the ear infection and he's on antibiotics, still not ok? At this point he's not contagious the fever is from the ear infection.

Quoting Peaceful.chaos:

You shouldn't take him to school with a fever.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:28 PM
I can't miss this appointment. The only option is to take him with me or send him to school.

Quoting LucyHarper:

Unless you absolutely need that $50 or you'll lose your house or food for a week, I would cancel the appointment, not send him to school, and keep that kid in bed. If you absolutely need to go, take him with you.

Makenseysmom
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:30 PM
As a daycare center director, minium standards state a child must be fever free without the use of fever reducing meds for at least 24 hours.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:30 PM
No its not okay, poor kid probably feels like shit. What is Wong with you?

Quoting Anonymous:

the fever is from the ear infection and he's on antibiotics, still not ok? At this point he's not contagious the fever is from the ear infection.

Quoting Peaceful.chaos:

You shouldn't take him to school with a fever.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:30 PM
101.9 isn't that high of a temp. It also depends on how he is acting/feeling. If he's normal I'd give him some Motrin for pain and send him to school.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:33 PM
Why is it acceptable to bring him with you but jot take him to school? I can't help but lmao at the judging bitches who sound no better advising a mother to take the child out the house at all when running a fever.

I would just miss the appointment! No amount of money in the world is worth risking my child's health.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:36 PM
It's not my kid. I'm nanny and I'm HIGHLY uncomfortable having him there with me. Mom can not take off work and I can't reschedule.

Quoting Anonymous:

Wow. Your son has a fever and an ear infection and you want to send him off to school because it is easier on you? Real nice.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:37 PM
He's acting perfectly normal, I didn't even realize he had a temp until I kissed his forehead.

Quoting Anonymous:

101.9 isn't that high of a temp. It also depends on how he is acting/feeling. If he's normal I'd give him some Motrin for pain and send him to school.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)