Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Take him to school sick?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Here's the run down. Kiddo went to the doctor this morning and has an ear infection and was given amoxicillin.

This evening he was running a fever of 101.9

I have my well woman exam tomorrow and I can't reschedule, first of all it's too late and I'd have to pay a 50 dollar fee but it also took me months to get an appointment.

So take him to school tomorrow or take him with me? There is no alternative childcare and he's 3
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:20 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 15 on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:42 PM
DONT take him to school! The poor kid is sick and he may be sent home anyways! Save yourself the trouble
HunternChase
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:43 PM
1 mom liked this
No school since he is running a fever.. They have to be fever free for 24 hours.,
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:43 PM
2 moms liked this
Yes, but you're discussing a child with a NON communicable illness. He isn't going to make anyone else sick. I'm not advocating sending him while CURRENTLY running a fever but if it comes down over night, it would be fine for him to go to school.

Quoting diana1481:

Kids have to be fever free, for 24 hours, before returning to school.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:43 PM
You're stupid. Seriously. Antibiotics don't work that fast. Do you feel fine with a fever? No. It's not me knowing your kid, its common sense. But you wouldn't know that or you wouldn't be asking this stupid question.

Quoting Anonymous:

Nothing is WONG with me and no he doesn't feel like shit. He's acting just fine, but I'm so glad you know more about him than I do. After all it's not like Im the one that took him to the doctor today and had a discussion about his ear infection with the doctor.

Quoting Anonymous:

No its not okay, poor kid probably feels like shit. What is Wong with you?

Quoting Anonymous:

the fever is from the ear infection and he's on antibiotics, still not ok? At this point he's not contagious the fever is from the ear infection.

Quoting Peaceful.chaos:

You shouldn't take him to school with a fever.
Kris_PBG
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:44 PM
Quoting Anonymous:

If its just an ear infection and you can get the fever down, he can go. He just contagious. If he has ANY other symptoms, take him with you.

Any school my kids have attended said they must be fever free for 24 hours to attend.

It is pretty standard.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:46 PM
He will have been on antibiotics for 24 hours by then.

Quoting Anonymous:

You're stupid. Seriously. Antibiotics don't work that fast. Do you feel fine with a fever? No. It's not me knowing your kid, its common sense. But you wouldn't know that or you wouldn't be asking this stupid question.

Quoting Anonymous:

Nothing is WONG with me and no he doesn't feel like shit. He's acting just fine, but I'm so glad you know more about him than I do. After all it's not like Im the one that took him to the doctor today and had a discussion about his ear infection with the doctor.

Quoting Anonymous:

No its not okay, poor kid probably feels like shit. What is Wong with you?

Quoting Anonymous:

the fever is from the ear infection and he's on antibiotics, still not ok? At this point he's not contagious the fever is from the ear infection.

Quoting Peaceful.chaos:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 15 on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:46 PM
But he feels like crap! In my in home licensed daycare illness policy I included that the child must be able to participate in daily activities. Its not fair to the teacher/provider, the other kids or your own child! Contagious or not he is still sick!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Peaceful.chaos:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:48 PM
He doesn't feel like crap. He's running around acting normal.

Quoting Anonymous:

But he feels like crap! In my in home licensed daycare illness policy I included that the child must be able to participate in daily activities. Its not fair to the teacher/provider, the other kids or your own child! Contagious or not he is still sick!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Peaceful.chaos:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:48 PM
Same here, and no puking either, but we also use a level of common sense. My son was prone to ear infections (thank God he outgrew that). His preschool teacher knew this and knew he may run a low grade fever while at school but he never complained and would actually lie saying his ear didnt hurt because he thought he'd have to stay home.
I kept his teacher well informed anytime he had an infection. If I did not know it was the ear, he stayed home.
He also has reflux and asthma and tends to vomit, especially when he's very active. He's in kindergarten now. If I kept him home every time he vomited he'd miss half the school year. Again, his teacher knows he's just a "puker."
There is a level of common sense that can play into these things.

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Quoting Anonymous:

If its just an ear infection and you can get the fever down, he can go. He just contagious. If he has ANY other symptoms, take him with you.

Any school my kids have attended said they must be fever free for 24 hours to attend.

It is pretty standard.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 14 on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:48 PM

I am a preschool teacher, and PLEASE DO NOT THINK IT IS OKAY to bring a sick kids to school, ever! When you bring a sick child, you expose all of the people in that room, and int the whole center. Also, the teachers know. Kids tell us "mommy gave me the grape drink before school" and then we hate you for the rest of the school year. Don't do it!

Quoting Anonymous:

Why is it acceptable to bring him with you but jot take him to school? I can't help but lmao at the judging bitches who sound no better advising a mother to take the child out the house at all when running a fever.

I would just miss the appointment! No amount of money in the world is worth risking my child's health.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN