Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

experienced dog owner PLEASE HELP HOUSE BREAKING PROBLEMS

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:47 PM
  • 61 Replies

we adopted a dog about 2 months ago. I have house broken at least 20 dogs in my life. we take him out with the big dog about every hour to 2 hrs. sometimes he poops outside but about every 2 to 3 days we get a suprise. he has tried every room in the house (if I remeber right this is part of learning to go outside) we rub his nose in it and stick him outside for 30 min to an hour. I have never had this much trouble house breaking a dog. we bought puppy pads and he changed spots on us again. if he whines he gets put outside. (this is how I teach them to tell me they need to go.) if he whines for anyreason he gets put outside. this has worked with all of my previous dogs. why am I having such a hard time breaking him. he should be broke by now. if he hunts he gets put outside. this is how I did my puppies. any ideas I haven't tried?

edit forgot to add he is kenneled at night and when we are gone. he gets kenneled for a while after coming back in from outside.

by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RMB2011
by Platinum Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:49 PM
Kennel. That's how we finally got our puppy trained. She won't poop in her kennel so she has to wine or tap the door when she needs out. Then we put her outside. She's figured it out finally! Now if only we could stop the chewing!!! Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
outtamymynd
by Ruby Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:50 PM
I think putting him outside as punishment is working against you. Maybe try using a crate?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
opinionatedmom
by Platinum Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Quoting RMB2011:

Kennel. That's how we finally got our puppy trained. She won't poop in her kennel so she has to wine or tap the door when she needs out. Then we put her outside. She's figured it out finally! Now if only we could stop the chewing!!! Lol

he gets kenneled every night. forgot to add that. and if he pottys in the house he gets kenneled for a few hours after coming in from outside.

opinionatedmom
by Platinum Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Quoting outtamymynd:

I think putting him outside as punishment is working against you. Maybe try using a crate?

why? it has worked with previous dogs. that is how I was taught to housebreak. and I forgot to add I do use a crate.

outtamymynd
by Ruby Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:53 PM
Why? Because not all dog's are the same...or you wouldn't be having problems with this one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RMB2011
by Platinum Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:54 PM
1 mom liked this
We only kennel when were gone from the house and now it's only for the chewing. It seems like he's seeing it as punishment (the being put outside) maybe try training him like a cat? Pick up the poop and take it outside and show it to him, pet him, and give him a treat. Bad inside, good outside. Kim?

Quoting opinionatedmom:

Quoting RMB2011:

he gets kenneled every night. forgot to add that. and if he pottys in the house he gets kenneled for a few hours after coming in from outside.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
opinionatedmom
by Platinum Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Quoting outtamymynd:

Why? Because not all dog's are the same...or you wouldn't be having problems with this one.

so crate him instead of putting him outside???? if so for how long?

Love060708kids
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Stick with the kennel

Xanbuttsmom
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:55 PM
I donno, I hate dogs for this reason.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
opinionatedmom
by Platinum Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:55 PM

this does make sense.

Quoting RMB2011:

We only kennel when were gone from the house and now it's only for the chewing. It seems like he's seeing it as punishment (the being put outside) maybe try training him like a cat? Pick up the poop and take it outside and show it to him, pet him, and give him a treat. Bad inside, good outside. Kim?

Quoting opinionatedmom:

Quoting RMB2011:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)