Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Confession: I am a yeller =(

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 36 Replies

This is something I have been trying to overcome but so far no luck.  I grew up with parents who tended to yell and I have taken on that persona with my kids.  I will probably be bashed for this but I lose my patience very easily and will yell at them.  It depresses me and I always feel badly afterward but in the moment I can't bring myself to not yell.  Anyone have any tips to get past this.  I have been thinking of going to a counselor because I am having some depression issues because of weight gain and my husband being away for work for a long time.  My kids are 3 and 5.  Please help =(

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:52 PM

I talked to my kids about this today.  I yell too and I don't like it.  I told them if they feel scared they can say "I'm scared" to help snap me out of it and if they don't feel comfortable saying that then they should say "pickle", it'll be our code word.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:53 PM

bump!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:55 PM
I yell more than I should. One time my daughter yelled back and said why are you yelling mama it's not nice. She's 5. I have really watched myself after that. I try really hard to be rational, but it's definitely a hard task raising young children.
Pink.Frosting
by Ruby Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:56 PM

I'm probably not the best person to try and give advice because I cannot tolerate yellers.  As soon as someone starts yelling, I tune out anything else they have to say.  I just cannot fathom what it would be like to not be able to control yourself.  Issues of my own, because I was the brunt of a yeller for many years.  I cannot respect it at all.  I will not allow anyone in my life like that.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:56 PM

That is a good idea... My 5yo is soooo defiant.  If I am trying to explain why what he is doing is wrong he will sit there and grin or ask random questions that are off topic but he does it in a way that I KNOW he is doing it to show me he isn't listening.. It sets me off.  Makes me CRAZY!

Quoting Anonymous:

I talked to my kids about this today.  I yell too and I don't like it.  I told them if they feel scared they can say "I'm scared" to help snap me out of it and if they don't feel comfortable saying that then they should say "pickle", it'll be our code word.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:57 PM
I'm gonna take in some of the advice as well. I'm the same way. Idk how to controll it.
ColieO
by Ruby Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:58 PM
I am too. I've been working really hard on it. I've improved a lot, but I have a very short temper and sometimes just lose it before I can stop myself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:59 PM

I am trying really hard to get it under control.  They definitely don't deserve it and it kills me but I just can't stop it.  Afterwards I always feel terrible! This is why I think maybe counseling would help and give me some tools to deal with it.... Problem is that DH works out of town and is home about every other weekend.  I have no way to go to the doctor on my own because I have nobody to watch the kids... I just don't know what to do anymore

Quoting Pink.Frosting:

I'm probably not the best person to try and give advice because I cannot tolerate yellers.  As soon as someone starts yelling, I tune out anything else they have to say.  I just cannot fathom what it would be like to not be able to control yourself.  Issues of my own, because I was the brunt of a yeller for many years.  I cannot respect it at all.  I will not allow anyone in my life like that.

jb022210
by Silver Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 11:00 PM

sadly im the same way =(

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Nov. 26, 2012 at 11:01 PM

I scream and curse too, I try not to, but it doesn't always work out that way.  The only thing you can do is try again until you break the habit, but it's not an easy habit to break.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)