Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Fever question

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 21 Replies

I've seen a lot of debate back and forth and if and when to take a young child to the doctor for a fever. Some moms say 103 or 104 in a young kid is normal, some moms start panicking at 102. 

But what would you do if your child maintained a high fever for two or more days? My friend's 4 year old has had a 100-103 fever for almost 48 hours now, even with meds. She is debating about taking him to urgent care. I told her to take him since it's not going down and keeps spiking back up. She sadi last time he had 104 temp all day and she finally took him in and it dropped to 101 by the time she got there.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 26, 2012 at 11:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bennett121
by Silver Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Is it 103 with tylenol? If so, I suggest contacting the pediatrician for further instruction. They may recommend he be seen.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 26, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Quoting Bennett121:

Is it 103 with tylenol? If so, I suggest contacting the pediatrician for further instruction. They may recommend he be seen.

Yup. She said it will go down a little bit, but within an hour or so it jumps right back up.

myperfect4inok
by Gold Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 11:59 PM
I would take him.in.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:01 AM

bump

svolkov
by Emerald Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:03 AM
Id wait depending on his overall well being. Is she alternating tylenol and ibuprofen? Give him popcicles and cold ice water etc.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:05 AM
I would be calling. With my ds fever is the only sign we get of ear infections.
matofour
by Silver Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:10 AM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't go to urgent care. Is he dehydrated? Lethargic?

Virus's can last more than a week. And with viral infections, there is nothing you can do but let it run it's course.
I would wait until morning, and call my doctor for an appt. I would not run to urgent care in the middle of the night, unless there was some other symptom (dehydration, lethargy) that had me worried.
But for a fever, nope.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bennett121
by Silver Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Well, if it is a virus it's too late for antivirals at this point most likely. If it's bacterial they can give him antibiotics. The thing is, you don't know how bad the infection is and with a fever that high that isn't knocked down with tylenol it is somewhat risky to NOT go in. I would at the very least take him to the pediatrician first thing in the morning. but I strongly suggest she call the pediatrician tonight to see what they say to do.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Bennett121:

Yup. She said it will go down a little bit, but within an hour or so it jumps right back up.

mypbandj
by Bronze Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:13 AM

I always call and ask the nurse her advice. She either tells us to come in and get checked or just to wait it out. Every situation is different, even w/ the same kid.

JP-StrongForTwo
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Believe it or not, that is not a dangerously high fever. Give motrin instead of tyenol. it works 100times better. give her a tepid bath (not cold but not warm) and some motrin and snuggle in bed with a book. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)