Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How to tell a Mom nicely those snacks are not for my kids? **UPDATE**

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 269 Replies
1 mom liked this

So it is difficult for me to find other Mommy friends for various reasons--ages of parents, ages of kids, sex of kids, etc., but there is this little boy that my daughter grew up with basically and are really good friends, anyway, so we went to their house for a playdate and the snacks were just fully loaded with sugar and the lunch that she served consisted of mini hot dogs and bagel bites.  I just always try to hit the 4 food groups with each meal and reduce the amount of sugar they get throughout the day. 

Should I say something or just brush it off?

I did bring them water and snacks if they wanted something and planned on leaving before lunch but they pleaded with us to stay until the other kids arrived.

UPDATE:  I got the point and usually stop reading after 20 replies.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 27, 2012 at 2:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaMay007
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 2:40 AM
87 moms liked this

I let stuff like that go.  

I have the policy of in my house I feed you what I want, in your house you feed us what you want.  (Allergies are the exception to this rule, we don't have any but some people do). It isn't like you are seeing them for hours every day.  It is once in a while. 

MommaSchimmel
by Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 2:47 AM
4 moms liked this
If its just a once in a while thing then I just let it go.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ranawen
by Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 2:51 AM
I think it would be good to let it go and just think of it as a treat for your kid. If it really bothers you maybe you could politely let the mother know that next time you would prefer having more healthy options
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 27, 2012 at 2:52 AM
4 moms liked this
Just let it go... If it didn't kill us growing up it won't kill them :)

I have a cousin who won't let her son have anything other than healthy snacks and food and honestly I find it a lil annoying... Let them have a lil something on special occasions, holidays, bdays...
TarantulaTress
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 2:52 AM
I'd let it go.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melakay1981
by Platinum Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 2:52 AM
6 moms liked this

Maybe next time invite them for lunch to your house and make it a point to say that you try to be as healthy as you can with snacks.  This way you are not putting her down but she might follow your lead a little bit.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 27, 2012 at 2:53 AM
7 moms liked this
One day of junk once in a while wont kill them. Moderation is the key here. I would let it go. No need to cause a problem when it's not that big of a deal. Bring some healthy alternatives, but bring enough for everyone, so you don't seem rude or ungreatful for the food being offered.
pampire
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 2:55 AM
11 moms liked this

Let it go.  It's an occasional meal.  A bagel bite or hot dog now and then isn't going to damage your child.  Lighten up and let the kid make memories.  You might find it easier to make mommy friends too.

ripemango
by Platinum Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 2:55 AM
10 moms liked this

1 meal that isn't equally balanced isnt gonna hurt. keep your stick at home and invite them over to your house for playdates.

there isn't a nice way to say "Im a better parent and princess won't eat those foods"

I don't know where the sunbeams end and the starlights begin; it's all a mystery.

outthere38
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 2:56 AM

let it go and just do lunch at your house next time and maybe she will take tips from your meal.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)