Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How to tell a Mom nicely those snacks are not for my kids? **UPDATE**

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

So it is difficult for me to find other Mommy friends for various reasons--ages of parents, ages of kids, sex of kids, etc., but there is this little boy that my daughter grew up with basically and are really good friends, anyway, so we went to their house for a playdate and the snacks were just fully loaded with sugar and the lunch that she served consisted of mini hot dogs and bagel bites.  I just always try to hit the 4 food groups with each meal and reduce the amount of sugar they get throughout the day. 

Should I say something or just brush it off?

I did bring them water and snacks if they wanted something and planned on leaving before lunch but they pleaded with us to stay until the other kids arrived.

UPDATE:  I got the point and usually stop reading after 20 replies.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 27, 2012 at 2:32 AM
Replies (221-230):
TugBoatMama
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:36 PM

My sister has always been rather strict with her kids' food. It doesn't bother me usually. But she came to my son's birthday party where we were having the usual cake and ice cream with some burgers and dogs on the grill for everyone. She very openly turned her nose up at everything we had made and even though the kids were really hungry she said they were not eating "that stuff". It was really rude and it hurt my feelings a little after how hard I had worked on that party. The other guests wouldn't go near her the rest of the evening and I got a few inquiries as to why my sister is such a snob.

Just painting a picture of how well this could go over. I wouldn't say anything since it is just a once in awhile type thing.

mamakirs
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:38 PM
Quoting Anonymous:

My kids do everything...go every where....though they are older...they just know what their bodies can tolerate :)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 49 on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:43 PM
Quoting TugBoatMama:

My sister has always been rather strict with her kids' food. It doesn't bother me usually. But she came to my son's birthday party where we were having the usual cake and ice cream with some burgers and dogs on the grill for everyone. She very openly turned her nose up at everything we had made and even though the kids were really hungry she said they were not eating "that stuff". It was really rude and it hurt my feelings a little after how hard I had worked on that party. The other guests wouldn't go near her the rest of the evening and I got a few inquiries as to why my sister is such a snob.

Just painting a picture of how well this could go over. I wouldn't say anything since it is just a once in awhile type thing.

Hyper sensitive?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 50 on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:43 PM
2 moms liked this

I bet I can guess a pretty big reason why you have difficulty making friends.

I'll just say the polite thing to do is to eat what is served (allergies excluded obviously) and be gracious. If the food isn't to your liking, either avoid times when food is being served or host the events yourself.

Nikaniko
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:45 PM

I wouldn't say anything. It's not worth the fight. But hot dogs and sugar won't kill anyone once in awhile. Wait until your child starts getting invited to tons of birthday parties. You can't keep him/ her in a bubble. Just teach your child that certain things are better in moderation and self control as well as good eating habits.

Bethsunshine
by Emerald Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:47 PM
1 mom liked this

I have a "friend" who likes to pretend she is all organic and wholesome and healthy. ( Yeah right, she goes to McDonald's at least once a week, but I digress). Whenever her kids come over here ( which is very often anymore) she always makes a point to ask things like "Is that organic? Is that all natural?" and has taught her kids to do the same. I find it rude. If my food isn't good enough for you, then bring your own and quit complaining about mine. Unless you or your child has a food allergy, it's rude to question and complain about the food being served at someone else's home.

furbabymum
by Platinum Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:56 PM

It's a once and in awhile thing right? Chill then. One day of a bit too much sugar probably isn't going to kill your kid. Taking away their only friend is.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 51 on Nov. 27, 2012 at 6:01 PM

They were kind enough to host, I would let it go. If you want to "set an example", you should host.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 52 on Nov. 27, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Quoting MamaMay007:

I let stuff like that go.  

I have the policy of in my house I feed you what I want, in your house you feed us what you want.  (Allergies are the exception to this rule, we don't have any but some people do). It isn't like you are seeing them for hours every day.  It is once in a while. 

^ This. 

peggytoo
by Bronze Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Yes...

Quoting MamaMay007:

I let stuff like that go.  

I have the policy of in my house I feed you what I want, in your house you feed us what you want.  (Allergies are the exception to this rule, we don't have any but some people do). It isn't like you are seeing them for hours every day.  It is once in a while. 

You might bring healthy extra snacks to for everyone to share.  Your family's healthy eating habits are more important than being concernced about what the other mommy is doing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)