Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How to tell a Mom nicely those snacks are not for my kids? **UPDATE**

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

So it is difficult for me to find other Mommy friends for various reasons--ages of parents, ages of kids, sex of kids, etc., but there is this little boy that my daughter grew up with basically and are really good friends, anyway, so we went to their house for a playdate and the snacks were just fully loaded with sugar and the lunch that she served consisted of mini hot dogs and bagel bites.  I just always try to hit the 4 food groups with each meal and reduce the amount of sugar they get throughout the day. 

Should I say something or just brush it off?

I did bring them water and snacks if they wanted something and planned on leaving before lunch but they pleaded with us to stay until the other kids arrived.

UPDATE:  I got the point and usually stop reading after 20 replies.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 27, 2012 at 2:32 AM
Replies (231-240):
Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 6:16 PM

It is a once in a while thing.  One meal of junk food isn't going to harm them. My kids get junk every now and then, I'd hate to be judged on the day I chose as a let the meals be lax kind of day. Like pizza/movie  and chips and dip night we have and eat in front of a movie as a family. It only happens now and then, but it is so much fun.  Moderation is the key. When you have them over at your house, you serve what you want and if they don't like what you serve they can let it go.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 53 on Nov. 27, 2012 at 6:24 PM

i'd let it go. it's not like your daughter eats there every day. teach your child that those are sometimes foods and move on. 

MooreBoysMama
by Silver Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 6:25 PM
****Rolls eyes****
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
knoxmomof2
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 6:32 PM

I wouldn't say a word.. sometimes a good friendship is worth just about anything. Lower your standards every once in awhile. Try to make up for it at dinner (extra veggies or something). I could understand if maybe you only fed your child organic or you were vegan or your child had specific health restrictions, but otherwise let her have a less-than-ideal meal every once in awhile. 

alwayskk
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 6:33 PM

I would answer but my eyes are stuck in the back of my head.

Roo1234
by Platinum Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 6:45 PM
I would steer clear of meal times and always offer to bring snacks for everyone. you won't be able to escape the "bad" food all the time, but it beats being rude and judgemental to your friend.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 54 on Nov. 27, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Does it really hurt them to have that stuff every once and a while? Personally, I believe that if you completely keep it away from them then when they get old enough to be on their own they will over indulge on it.

Sweet_Carol_126
by Bronze Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 7:00 PM

If they were eating a lot of sweets, then I can see you telling your children that they can't have candy and they should listen and discipline themselves.  We didn't drink cola drinks ad I told my kids that they couldn't have colas.  They kept to that.  Didn't need the other parents told.  Mountain dew messed them up as it wasn't a cola but had caffeine.  As for you, your child eating a few weenies in a croissant isn't going to mess up their bodies by doing that on rare occasions so long as you give them a good diet otherwise.  One "bad" meal isn't going to hurt the child, only if it is all th time.  If you sent veggies for snacks then the kids could eat them.  Don't worry about one meal.  Itis the overall calories an the nutrients that count and even one day of eating things that aren't the best isn't going to hurt much either so long as they eat veggies and lean meats on other days.  Lighten up a little.  Smoothies are good.  Could make them some kind of smoothie and put in bottles and send with them for everyone so they get a good fruit and veggie drink.  Use a really good grade blender or emulsifier. 

singlemom1208
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 7:02 PM
Just let it go.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 55 on Nov. 27, 2012 at 7:03 PM

I am a usually very careful about what I give my children to eat. I try to avoid processed foods, artificial colors, flavors, and sweeteners whenever possible, and prefer that they eat fresh fruits and veggies as snacks and drink water, and milk at meals, no juice.

When my first child was little, I was crazy about it and I was very upset if someone tried to feed him anything with artificial anything. I was kind of "lucky" that he had a ton of food allergies, so I brought our own food everywhere and no one dared to give him anything without permission. 

He has since outgrown so many of his allergies, and with him being in school and getting old enough to have playdates with friends without me being present has forced me to let go of some things. He eats well in our home and in school because I pack healthy lunches for him. When he is with family, they know I prefer that he eats healthy foods. When he is at a friends home, he is allowed to have whatever they are serving as long as it is not something he is allergic to. I am lucky that he does not like juice and he does not like many jusnk foods because he is just no used to them!  

I lightened up a lot with my second child, though. I was just too busy to be that anal about what everyone was giving her and she has no allergies. She has tried a lot more foods than my son did at her age. However, we continue to eat well at home, and have some treats when we are elsewhere. I am hoping that they will learn to have a balanced approach to eating and they will always prefer healthy and fresh things over junk. 

I just learned that I can't control everything and everyone that comes into contact with my kids. I do the best I can and let some things go. I don't want to create stress where there need not be any. 

I get where you are coming from, OP, and it is hard to let go a little, but there comes a time and a place when it is just no longer possible to control everything our kiddos eat and drink. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)