Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How to tell a Mom nicely those snacks are not for my kids? **UPDATE**

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

So it is difficult for me to find other Mommy friends for various reasons--ages of parents, ages of kids, sex of kids, etc., but there is this little boy that my daughter grew up with basically and are really good friends, anyway, so we went to their house for a playdate and the snacks were just fully loaded with sugar and the lunch that she served consisted of mini hot dogs and bagel bites.  I just always try to hit the 4 food groups with each meal and reduce the amount of sugar they get throughout the day. 

Should I say something or just brush it off?

I did bring them water and snacks if they wanted something and planned on leaving before lunch but they pleaded with us to stay until the other kids arrived.

UPDATE:  I got the point and usually stop reading after 20 replies.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 27, 2012 at 2:32 AM
Replies (241-250):
chattycassie
by Gold Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 7:25 PM

I am the same way my house my food. BTW love your avitar

Quoting MamaMay007:

I let stuff like that go.  

I have the policy of in my house I feed you what I want, in your house you feed us what you want.  (Allergies are the exception to this rule, we don't have any but some people do). It isn't like you are seeing them for hours every day.  It is once in a while. 

MommaRoseT
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 7:25 PM

This.

Quoting MamaMay007:

I have the policy of in my house I feed you what I want, in your house you feed us what you want.  (Allergies are the exception to this rule, we don't have any but some people do). It isn't like you are seeing them for hours every day.  It is once in a while. 

CassSpade
by Gold Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 7:26 PM

You should bring a big fruit and veggie plate next time and let the kids have both. A little junk won't kill them. 

My bff is the same way with her kids, but she does know that I'm a health nut and tries really hard to accomodate when it's her turn to bring the snack. She's a sweetheart, I just love her.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 27, 2012 at 7:29 PM
She blamed it on her own mom haha it wasn't till about couple weeks later that I brought it up again and couldn't keep a straight face :) I wanted her to know I was the brains behind it

Quoting Anonymous:

ROFL!! ROFL!! That is SO FUNNY--the bag of treats!!! That is GREAT! How did they not figure out it was you that did it? Just wondering.

Quoting Anonymous:

Ppl are weird! I think they lose sight on their good memories or the good memories they could be making with their own... They are so caught up on trying to be perfect lol its sad!

For my cousins LOs bday I gave time a bag with nothing but treats and left it unsigned haha she was pretty pissed but everyone else had a good laugh about it :)

Quoting Anonymous:

Your cousin sounds like my cousin's WIFE!!! She is SO WEIRD!!! Her kids RARELY EVER get treats!! She lets them go Trick or Treating, but when they get home from getting the candy, they are allowed ONLY 5 pieces of candy to keep and the rest of the candy gets thrown in the trash!!!! I'm like SERIOUSLY?? What the heck is the point of going Trick or Treating if 99% of the candy is going to be thrown away??? I mean I don't let my kids just sit there and eat ALL of their Halloween candy in one sitting! We let them have some candy on Halloween. Then we put up their candy where they cannot get to it. We give them a few pieces each day, until the candy is gone!

Quoting Anonymous:

Just let it go... If it didn't kill us growing up it won't kill them :)

I have a cousin who won't let her son have anything other than healthy snacks and food and honestly I find it a lil annoying... Let them have a lil something on special occasions, holidays, bdays...

tinkerbellbay
by Gold Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Let it go

kfroz0415
by Gold Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 7:33 PM
1 mom liked this

As long as it's a special day and not every meal, let it go.

It's not harmful to indulge once in awhile. Heck I've managed to lose 55lbs and I still have a hot dog or burger out here and there.

Maybe just have the next playdate at your place. :)

Hyman
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 7:39 PM
Seriously this is true. I grew up with really controlling parents and they did not give one but of slack and it hurt me so bad socially.

I say just let loosen up for that day bits actually good for your son to see that things aren't so rigid.

I let my son have everything I ate (which was everything and it turns out I'm pregnant so I really ate my heart out) and he's 15 months old

Usually we are very healthy and no fast food or junk or pop etc. he loves veggies and is not a picky eater. I guess bc I'm moderate and flexible? He knows he can have a treat when it's a special time?

Quoting Anonymous:

Let it go.  One does not need to be a rocket scientist to figure out why you can't keep "mommy" friends.  Your controlling nature is detrimental to your child's social well-being.  Lighten up mama!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MamaMay007
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 7:47 PM

It is from the mad men avatar genirator.  You can make one too!

Quoting chattycassie:

I am the same way my house my food. BTW love your avitar

Quoting MamaMay007:

catholicmamamia
by Gold Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Personally, I would not have given it a second thought.. and I am very much a proponent of natural mothering, natural foods, natural living, etc. Our policy is to feed natural, nutritious meals at home and allow 'treats' at playdates, parties, etc.

The exception would be if one of my children had food sensitivities, food allergies, and/or dietary needs/restrictions. In that case I would feed my child before/after, and if needed provide a meal/snack to share that would fit my child's needs.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 56 on Nov. 27, 2012 at 8:22 PM

eye rolling Repete after me,  "That shit is not for my kid."  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)