Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Should this be reported to CPS??????

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 168 Replies

Poll

Question: Should this be reported to CPS?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 180

View Results

I am posting anonymously to protect the student's privacy.

I am a teacher at a school that teaches K-12 all in the same building (small school). I am on the secondary side, but we have weekly meetings with the primary side. One of the students on the primary side, who I'll call *John* for the purposes of this post, has a problem.

John is a twin (his sister goes to a different school). John's mother dresses him up like a girl while at home. She treats him as if he is a girl, as well. She will take her twin "daughters" with her out in public. When John comes to school, he is dressed like a boy, generally in clothes too big for him. He will continually tell his teacher to quit calling him "young man" because "I am a girl." It's heart-breaking.

I feel that this is a form of child abuse; however, I was told not to report it. I was told, as was the elementary teacher, that since John is not being "abused" that we cannot interfere.

The only information I can give you is this:
   1. I work in Virginia.
   2. John is 6 years old.
   3. He comes from a poverty stricken area/home.

Please let me know what you would do or any advice about what I should do, please.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:29 PM
2 moms liked this

Yes absolutely. Who knows what else is going on in that home. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Well maybe that's what he wants. I don't agree with it, but I don't think it's abuse.
Anonymous

YES!!! I would!!!

Anonymous
2 moms liked this

I would report it and let CPS investigate. You never know-he may be in a loving family that lets the boy dress as a girl, but on the other hand he could be forced to wear girl clothes.

Christie825
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:33 PM

I agree! Maybe he wants to dress like one at home maybe not, an investigation will help with that, but yes one should be open.

1likeme
by Gold Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:33 PM
Without knowing more I say no. You don't know if this is being forced on him by his mother or if he is transgender and that is how he wants to be addressed.
danie24
by Ruby Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:33 PM
8 moms liked this

Maybe he is transgendered and his mother is just allowing him to be himself at home. If he wants the teachers to call him a girl instead of a boy that's definitely a sign.

I don't think it's CPS worthy.. unless the child is unhappy about wearing dresses at home, I really don't see the issue.

Is the child otherwise healthy and happy? Or are there other issues that you haven't stated? Is he helpful, kind, caring, friendly? Does he play with the other children? Does he every mention any kind of abuse or neglect from home?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:34 PM
8 moms liked this
CPS, may I help you?

Yes I want to make a report. There's a boy who dresses like a little girl and says he is a girl.

And?

And that's my report

Click.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:34 PM

That's the reason that they don't want us to report it, but we, the teachers, are not convinced that's the case.

Quoting Anonymous:

I would report it and let CPS investigate. You never know-he may be in a loving family that lets the boy dress as a girl, but on the other hand he could be forced to wear girl clothes.

MamaHome
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:34 PM

That's tricky.

Are you the child's primary teacher? Has anyone else voiced any concerns?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)