Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is anyone here a victim of Munchausen by proxy?

Posted by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:42 PM
  • 8 Replies

Munchausen by proxy is a disorder where a parent, usually the mother, makes up illnesses or makes illness worse in their child in order to gain attention from medical professionals and the people around them.  

I am doing a paper and presentation on this rare form of child abuse and wanted to know if there are any real life stories that I may be able to use (don't worry all personal information will be kept private, no names will be used, it will be completely anonymous).  It is for my psych class on Child Abuse and Neglect.

Please, answer anonymously. 

Thank you!

by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:44 PM
1 mom liked this

no its more like im a first time mom paranoid about ear infections

eesmommy
by Gold Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:44 PM
I honestly believe my mom had it. Then again she tried to "cure" me with vitamins so I don't know exactly if she did or not. I always seemed to be "sick" yet looking back now I had the common kid stuff and not nearly close to what my friends had.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
blues_pagan
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 1:44 PM

I am more asking if anyone here has been a victim of it not the perpetrator.

Quoting Anonymous:

no its more like im a first time mom paranoid about ear infections

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 27, 2012 at 1:45 PM

my cousin is like this.

She had that baby just to get attention in the first place.

macysmom
by Platinum Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 1:52 PM
1 mom liked this
I was. My mom had to give me and my brother up to my grandma. I.remember alot of days she would let us sleep through time to get up for school, and when we asked why she would say that we woke her up in the night with a fever. Then we would go to the doctor and she would say we had been puking, or running fever, or coughing. We would always say no we arent! But she would say you don't remember, it was in the middle of the night. She would always give us benadryl, and constantly made us take vitamin c tablets. We were always "sick" or going to get sick of we did things like go outside or play at a playground. I missed so much school for nothing. She even took me to the emergency room saying my fever was 105 when I felt perfectly fine and the ER even said my fever is gone. She would do anything to convince everyone we were sick. I am still close to her but we live far away. She is always asking if I'm sick, like this morning she called while I was asleep and I sounded groggy, and she said get up and go to the ER you are sick as a dog! I never tell her when dd has any sort of sickness, not even a runny nose. God forbid she hears any of us cough. I don't know if this behavior is munchausen, but I always thought it was. Hope I helped!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AmaliaD
by Platinum Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 1:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I am a teacher.   We suspect this of one mother in our school.   Her child has attended our charter school since he was in k.   he is currently in 4th grade.    we think it started very early on.    the boy was removed from her custody because his legs and arms were fractured when he was under 2 years old.   she blamed the bio father,  left the bio dad,  the bio dad seems really calm and collected (when we met him),   if he sees the boy it has to be supervised by someone from the court so we have met him on occasion.    thats not to say he didnt hurt the boy when he was a baby - we dont know.   but mom got custody back when the boy was about 4,  since then - there has been an endless parade of things wrong with the boy.   he has so many diagnosis es about his learning.   he does have ADHD - anyone who works with kids could see it in him, and he responds well to those meds and was learning.    but then she stopped bringin him to school saying - he was having panic attacks (really - weird because he is so happy at school?....)  and they put him on anxiety meds,   that made him a zombie and he didnt learn anything for a few months.   then he hit his head while skate boarding,   she claims he has cluster headaches from them and can only attend school for half days.  she had his doctor write a note and we had to jsut send the afternoon work home. that work was never done or returned.    he is currently about 2 years behind in reading - maybe 3 yrs behind in math.    he is getting way over his head and now has an IEP.   keep in mind,   the school psych could find nothing wrong with him other than simple ADHD.      she has told several teachers -- i know (child's name)  will ALWAYS need me,   i will ALWAYS have to be there for him,   he wont ever be able to leave me.    which is jsut so creepy!!  everything she does seems to result in 1. the child becoming more dependent on her   2.  the child learning as little as possible in school to make him more dependent.  

we have talked to people from child services about her.   there is so little they can do.   we cannot prove what we know to be happening.   the child gets medical care too often but thats not a crime,  neither is making your child completely dependent.   there is educational neglect but that is more about people who wont allow kids to even go to school and rather force them to work during the time.  

so i know someone most the teachers suspect of it.   i doubt she knows she has it.    and there is nothing we can do about it.   i wonder what your professor says about my story - if he or she has any suggestions - we are all ears!!

OneToughMami
by Ruby Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 1:56 PM

I wish my mom took my "complaints" more serious when I was a kid :-/ I would have been so nice to have been able to breath as child! I am just now discovering the beauty of being able to run with my dogs without wheezing!

Bethsunshine
by Emerald Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 1:57 PM

I know someone who most likely is a perpetrator of both Munchausen's and MSB.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)