Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Complaints about donated Christmas

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 168 Replies
6 moms liked this

I volunteer for some places that help with Christmas. I have heard the complaints myself. It is never the child complaining. The child is busy playing with the toys the parent is complaining about. Its always too small, too cheap, or not what they asked for.

Some people need to learn to be thankful for what they get. People spent their hard earned money to buy toys and other gifts for kids they dont know. Even if it is donating a dollar at the dollar tree for a toy. (Personally, I buy my son dollar toys from their all the time. They are not that horrible) These people know that without them, these kids may not even be able to have a Christmas.

This may sound a little harsh but I think if they dont like what they are recieving for free, they should work harder next year to get the things they actually want. I know some are working as hard and as much as they can. Those people are usually the grateful ones.

The toys we receive and distribute are decent toys. Yes sometimes there are coloring books and activity books. This encourages creativity. Its not like all this one child gets is a coloring book. Even if they did,thats one gift they wouldnt have received.

My point here is if you need help accept what you get. If you want extravegant gifts, figure out what route you need to take in order to make it happen. Dont go around making the people who helped you feel bad. They didnt have to help you at all.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 27, 2012 at 2:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Nov. 27, 2012 at 2:05 PM
7 moms liked this

I just stopped donating, I give mainly to the local food bank now and that's it.  People suck nowadays and appreciate nothing nice that is done for them, so why bother?

MumsTheWord571
by Platinum Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 2:05 PM
Amen.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ashleybgarcia
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 2:07 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree. Be thankful. People don't have to be generous at all. It's not others fault that people can't afford presents for their kids. How incredibly selfish to be so ungrateful.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 27, 2012 at 2:09 PM

I agree. Before we had children we spent 100 easy on one child. We would pick a boy and a girl from the tree and go buck wild. I always got such glee imagining them opening the presents. I never rceived a note to say thank you. Thats all I wanted in return. But I didn't so I got over it.

I agree with you. Why complain about something you didn't pay for? You wanted better get another job, get a better degree and go get  it yourself.

lhiannan
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 2:10 PM
3 moms liked this

I've been on the receiving end-the charities here just take your family info, you don't get to ask for anything specific.  I do think that for one family that bitches about the gifts, you have a lot more that are sincerely grateful that their child didn't have to go without because they couldn't afford anything.

Mommy980106
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 2:10 PM
3 moms liked this
My 6 year old always says, "you get what you get and don't throw a fit."
I don't understand the sense of entitlement from folks. Most of the families I know who are asking for help for Christmas are drinking on the weekends, going to the movies, eating fast food several times a week. Save that money for about 2 months,you will have enough to give your kids a nice Christmas.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 27, 2012 at 2:12 PM
I hate people like this. When my DD father left right before Xmas (she was one) I went with a friend to toys for tots. She has five kids they gave her a effing PlayStation(plus3 decent toys for each kid) and she demanded they give her an extra controller. I felt so low being there at all. Then her acting like that I wanted to die. Thankgod I got on my feet soon after and got to be one that donates again not the one who gets it
ZsMommy
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 2:13 PM

oh I agree-we needed help one year-we were thankful for the outfit and shoes we received for our daughter -we only asked for slippers. Went to look for tags from the Angel Trees at church this past sunday-one asked for an iphone. Most were high end requests.

Needless to say we're waiting til next week when we can help 3 or 4 kids with "reasonable" requests.

As you said-the families that struggle are the ones who truly appreciate the help-and don't have expectations over and above "acceptable' requests IMO

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 27, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Yep,so true! Be grateful for what you are given.We give to a family in need at Christmas.I like to know where my stuff goes and we can do more cause its only 1 family and they are extremely grateful.They tell us get whatever you think is good if you can afford and want to.I have a son the same age as the boy in the family and every yr he sends us a thank you card.The boy is the sweetest.His mom left him on the doorstep of his paternal grandma when he was a toddler and has never been back.

dusty_707
by Bronze Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 2:13 PM

you bother bc its not the child complaining or being ungrateful.. its the parent which isnt the childs fault at all.. people shouldnt stop donating bc of stupid parents that are ungrateful assholes.  this wasnt a rant on you just an add on to yours..  If people donate and have had bad exiperences then they should donate to people who they know wont be ungrateful.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

I just stopped donating, I give mainly to the local food bank now and that's it.  People suck nowadays and appreciate nothing nice that is done for them, so why bother?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)