Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

my mom says its wrong to not buy my kids toys for christmas.

Posted by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 4:58 PM
  • 44 Replies
But excuse me if I dont see this holiday as a gimmie day.
Dh and I like most are having tight times, so we have decidec to buy the boys (4,2,& 1) what they need, not something needless.
They from us will be getting pj's, under shirts, socks, slippers, and each a stuffed animal to sleep with. Meanwhile they have alot of needless toys coming from family.

My mother so far has bought my oldest a bike, robe, dreamlights animal, huge art kit, and a stuffed animal chair. My middle ds is my ss so he will have two home, at bms home he is an only child so lots of gifts. My youngest is 1 and well come on he wont even care.

I didnt know the christmas was soley about toys. Good to know now.

Vent over
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 4:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
raegansmom
by Gold Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:01 PM

I don't see the big deal?  Don't let it get to you!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:01 PM
Tell her at least there will be something under the tree!

702girly
by Gold Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:01 PM
2 moms liked this

I consider a stuffed animal a toy.

Personally, I think it's lame to buy needs as gifts. If there was no Christmas, would you not buy your kids clothing?

I'd just give my kid one stuffed animal as a present before I wrap up needed items that I'm required by law to give them and pretend they're gifts.

But, it's your kid, not mine.

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:01 PM

I think combined my three kids, 19, 9 and 6 will cost me less than $1,000 this year, which for us is not a lot.  I stuck to necessities and a few things they wanted.  Believe it or not the necessities cost a lot more than the items on their lists that were not necessary.  They never complain and they are always grateful and that's all that matters to me.

bellawomen
by Summer on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:03 PM

I think you are taking it personal because you are sensitive to having money issues.  We all want to give our children some of their wants, but there are times when some people can't.  Do what you can and if you can afford a toy, fine.  If you can't, fine.  But your mom doesn't have control of your finances or an insider view, so let it go.

2manydiapers
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:04 PM
They have an aunts, uncles, cousins, both ds have 2 sets of grandparents, ss has 3 sets of grandparents, more aunts and uncles. I would get it if some how they would go without, but come on how much crap does three little boys need, the hotwheels runith over!
dirby1988
by Silver Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:05 PM
We spent $30 on dd this year and $20 last year. Were having hard times here too.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
2manydiapers
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:06 PM
Quoting 702girly:

I consider a stuffed animal a toy.

Personally, I think it's lame to buy needs as gifts. If there was no Christmas, would you not buy your kids clothing?

I'd just give my kid one stuffed animal as a present before I wrap up needed items that I'm required by law to give them and pretend they're gifts.

But, it's your kid, not mine.

No obviously I would still buy it.
2manydiapers
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:07 PM
Quoting dirby1988:

We spent $30 on dd this year and $20 last year. Were having hard times here too.

Ya their birthdays they got toys, their birthdays ar 9/24, 11/1, & 11/26, thats what makes it even sillier what she said.
SusanTheWriter
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:08 PM
1 mom liked this

You could follow the 4-Gift Rule:

1 they want

1 they need

1 to wear

1 to read

(Edit - 1 to wear, not play with. Sorry!)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)