Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Anyone Refuse the 15 month Chicken Pox Vaccine?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 82 Replies

I have vaccinated against all w/the exception of Rotovirus.  My general stance is "if it won't kill him we don't get it"  Still I research the disease the vaccine protects against and discovered my suspicions were true-chicken pox are very rarely fatal. 

My husband on the other hand would like him to have it but refuses to look into the vaccine or the disease.

My pediatrician on the final side of the triangle is adamant that it be given because if our little guy would contract chicken pox that he'd possibly contract shingles later in life.  My is wouldn't the vaccine put the shingles virus into his system as well?

Anyway, I'm not looking for a debate vax vs non vax, nor do I believe that vaccines cause autism, or generally have adverse reactions in a higher percentage of the population than is advertised, I'm simply looking for those who have chosen not to get their 15 month olds the vaccine and why.  What were/are your concerns with getting the vax vs not?  Did your pediatrician try to sway you?

Thanks

PS *anon for a reason, and those who vax vs non vax know why!*

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brittany208
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:25 PM

We havent gotten ANY of DS's shots yet... need to get on that... but I'd say chicken pox would definitely be the LAST one we'd get--for that very reason. Chicken pox is NOT that bad. not like polio.

B1Bomber
by Ruby Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:28 PM
1 mom liked this

We skipped the chickenpox vaccine because it's not particularly effective. Lots of people who had the vaccine got chickenpox and/or shingles later...few who had chickenpox had it again and the ones who did get shingles didn't have severe cases.

purpleducky
by Ruby Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:28 PM

We refused it until my oldest started school and then we got the first round of it and that was it.

deviljrswifey
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:28 PM
Ive had chicken pox at 9 years old and shingles at 19. I had the vacine for chicken pox...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
danie24
by Ruby Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:29 PM
1 mom liked this

My husband and I refuse ALL vaccines.

Our kids are 7, 5 years old and almost 6 months.

cara124
by Bronze Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:30 PM
I dont vex my kids for none fatal things like chicken pox ..... & they are 17, 15 & 11 ... Heck I even refuse the flu vax & my ped has no issue with me sayin no ! If you ped can't respect you as the mom find a new one
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:30 PM

my son had a seasure after his  chicen pox vaccine and hes never been the same :(

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:32 PM
This. I never got the vax for it nor did my 3 siblings. The doctor offered I said no she said ok. The nurse came in and tried saying my dd HAD to have it. Called the doctor in and the nurse tried saying that she never said that. Needless to say that nurse doesn't come in to our exams anymore

Quoting B1Bomber:

We skipped the chickenpox vaccine because it's not particularly effective. Lots of people who had the vaccine got chickenpox and/or shingles later...few who had chickenpox had it again and the ones who did get shingles didn't have severe cases.

chattycassie
by Gold Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:34 PM

I did not give it to any of my kids until it was required. My oldest never had the shot nor the pox. My middle daughter got the shot before kinder and my baby (now 6) got it about 4yrs old and then got the pox......

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:35 PM
Ds 4 did not get it. I think they can get until they are 11 or 12. I would prefer ds fight it out naturally as a child then get a vaccine for everything. But it is dangerous if they get it when they are older. And I am pretty sure whether you get the vaccine or the true virus you can get shingles.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)