Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Am I Wrong

Posted by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:47 PM
  • 29 Replies
My son is only 6mths so this yr I don't have to worry about it, but I don't know if I wqnt my son to believe in Santa. Or the tooth fairy or any of those other mythical creatures. Don't get me wrong. I like Santa as the face of Christmas(I like to decorate with him and read stories and even movies) but I feel like my dh works too hard to provide for us and now to buy gifts for our ds to let some myth take all the credit. Problem is I don't wanna ruin it for other peoples children and idk how to explain to him that Santa is justa fictional character(a mascot) for Christmas? Lol I know I'm ahead of myself but Idk what I'm gna do next year. Should I just let him believe?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bmama1
by Silver Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:50 PM
1 mom liked this
We won't be telling our kids about any of them.
gwebkeijmmm
by Ruby Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:50 PM
4 moms liked this
I think it's ridiculous to feel like you (or your SO) need to "take credit" for buying stuff, like it's really going to matter to a child of that age.
ChikSlim
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:53 PM
1 mom liked this

He's 6 months so what does he know right now anyway? One thing that needs to be understood is that you are his mother so it's your choice how you raise your kid dear, 'nuff said :) 

CrystalLMaben
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:54 PM
I kinda feel that way too. I'm torn between the ideas and idk what I want.lol. my dh doesn't care either way but my brother brought it to my attention the whole "taking credit" thing and it made sense. That's y I'm here getting opinions!

Quoting gwebkeijmmm:

I think it's ridiculous to feel like you (or your SO) need to "take credit" for buying stuff, like it's really going to matter to a child of that age.

SunshneDaydream
by Platinum Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:55 PM
1 mom liked this

I was in the same boat when my daughter was a baby...then she got older and I realized you can't really escape it.  We never told her about any of them, but it's everywhere.  School, friends, everyone else believes it...Grandma asks what she wants from Santa...even strangers on the street ask!  She pretty much grew up hearing about it without us ever saying a word.  I never knew how to break it to her either, and even if we did I wasn't sure how make sure she didn't tell other kids.  We decided it was easier to just let her believe and besides, we both grew up believing...until we didn't, and we were fine.  It wasn't some huge traumatic even to find out Santa's not real, most kids just figure it out as they get older and wiser :)

SalemWitchChild
by Blessed be on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:56 PM

We just explained to our DD that some people tell their kids Santa is real because they feel having that fantasy as a child is important. But for us we do not wish to tell an untrue story and that she can always count on us to tell her the truth. But that we shouldn't ruin it for other kids. If Santa comes up in conversation, she is instructed to change the subject.We also practiced how to change the subject.

CrystalLMaben
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:56 PM
How do u explain who he is tho when they see him...in books...movies ...at the mall...and what about when the other kids talk about him. Then what?

Quoting Bmama1:

We won't be telling our kids about any of them.

MommiE8983
by Gold Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:57 PM
1 mom liked this
The only thing Santa brings at our house is the stocking stuffers. I'm not going to let that fat ass take credit for all the money I spent!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:59 PM
1 mom liked this

SunshneDaydream
by Platinum Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't worry abo t the credit...kids don't understand that we work to earn money to buy things until they're much older.  They just think the things we have magically appear.  That's why they're always asking for crap at the store, and why poor children aren't really as miserable as rich people like to believe, because they don't know there's any other option.  Anyway, by the time he's old enough to realize that Daddy worked hard to buy these gifts, he'll probably be figuring out there's no Santa anyway.  

If it means that much to you though, just do what my parents did (and I do): some gifts were from Santa and some were from Mommy and Daddy!

Quoting CrystalLMaben:

I kinda feel that way too. I'm torn between the ideas and idk what I want.lol. my dh doesn't care either way but my brother brought it to my attention the whole "taking credit" thing and it made sense. That's y I'm here getting opinions!

Quoting gwebkeijmmm:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN