Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm a foster parent - ask me (almost) anything...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 107 Replies
1 mom liked this
I've seen a lot of posters say that protective services have been involved with their family or the family of a friend or relative. Ask anything you'd like to know...I promise I've seen almost everything and will give you an honest answer.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 27, 2012 at 7:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AubreeGrace17
by Platinum Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 7:48 PM

What's the worst thing you've seen?

purplejbird
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 7:50 PM
1 mom liked this
We are about 3 weeks from being foster parents.
1) what advice do you have for newbies?
2) would you message me so I have someone to talk to as it gets closer.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 27, 2012 at 7:50 PM
The worst in MY house was a 3 month old baby with cracked skull, black and blue, and six cracked ribs :-(

Quoting AubreeGrace17:

What's the worst thing you've seen?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 27, 2012 at 7:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Advice - LOVE the kids and try not to get caught up in what YOU think is right or wrong because the system rarely works the way you think it should.

And yes, I will message you :-)

Quoting purplejbird:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 27, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Are you also certified to adopt? Have you ever intended to adopt and had the child taken because they found a family? That happend to us once, it was horrible.

Have you ever had children with RADD? What is your age range or are you open? Have you ever had to get rid of a child? Do you have children of your own? If so, how do they handle foster children? Do they call you Mom? Do you usually get children who are highly medicated? If so, do you do anything to reduce their medications?

purplejbird
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 7:58 PM
Thank you.

Quoting Anonymous:

Advice - LOVE the kids and try not to get caught up in what YOU think is right or wrong because the system rarely works the way you think it should.

And yes, I will message you :-)

Quoting purplejbird:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 27, 2012 at 8:13 PM
Yes we are certified to adopt and have a 2 year old adopted son. We have been open to adopting any child that needed a permanent home, almost ALL have gone to family.

We have had to children with RAD and they were so difficult but we loved them all the same. The amount of therapy was nuts!!

The only children that left without going to family were going to a therapeutic home because of behaviors.

We have three bio-children who are now 5, 6, and 8 - were 1, 2, and 3 when we started. They love our foster babies/children and we've kept in touch with many of them.

Most kids call us mom and dad because they are little and just copy our kids. We always let them call us whatever they are comfortable with :-)

We've only had a couple of highly medicated kids - we tried to wean down both. One did great on a few less meds and one did not...we MOSTLY get younger kiddos but I know this is a huge deal with my friends that take older ones.

Quoting Anonymous:

Are you also certified to adopt? Have you ever intended to adopt and had the child taken because they found a family? That happend to us once, it was horrible.

Have you ever had children with RADD? What is your age range or are you open? Have you ever had to get rid of a child? Do you have children of your own? If so, how do they handle foster children? Do they call you Mom? Do you usually get children who are highly medicated? If so, do you do anything to reduce their medications?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 27, 2012 at 8:24 PM

That's awesome, you sound just like my Mom. :)

Do you have any special training? Being that you have had children with special needs, I would imagine so... Do you have a full time job? When you have had children with RAD, were you able to stay at home? It helps so much when those kids have a 2 parent household. My Mom's child was the first and only one to ever had to be re-placed because there was only one parent and they felt that he needed a father figure and also someone to stay home with him all day.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes we are certified to adopt and have a 2 year old adopted son. We have been open to adopting any child that needed a permanent home, almost ALL have gone to family.

We have had to children with RAD and they were so difficult but we loved them all the same. The amount of therapy was nuts!!

The only children that left without going to family were going to a therapeutic home because of behaviors.

We have three bio-children who are now 5, 6, and 8 - were 1, 2, and 3 when we started. They love our foster babies/children and we've kept in touch with many of them.

Most kids call us mom and dad because they are little and just copy our kids. We always let them call us whatever they are comfortable with :-)

We've only had a couple of highly medicated kids - we tried to wean down both. One did great on a few less meds and one did not...we MOSTLY get younger kiddos but I know this is a huge deal with my friends that take older ones.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 27, 2012 at 8:28 PM
I'm a SAHM. My bio children are in school and I stay home with my adopted son and foster children,

I worked with special needs children through college and then the medical personnel train us on the high needs kiddos before they leave the hospital.

I don't know how anyone would have time to work AND foster - those people amaze me :-)

Quoting Anonymous:

That's awesome, you sound just like my Mom. :)

Do you have any special training? Being that you have had children with special needs, I would imagine so... Do you have a full time job? When you have had children with RAD, were you able to stay at home? It helps so much when those kids have a 2 parent household. My Mom's child was the first and only one to ever had to be re-placed because there was only one parent and they felt that he needed a father figure and also someone to stay home with him all day.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

angie729
by Ruby Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 8:34 PM

My son has made friends with a boy who is in foster care. He recently went to their home to visit one afternoon. I know the foster mom..used to work with her. My son came home and was telling me that all her kitchen knives and anything sharp has to be kept under lock and key. Is that true?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)