Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My prayer was answered in such a specific way, and now all I want to do is give praises!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I'm going anonymous simply because of the personal & financial info involved in the story...

My husband and I have always been *pretty good* about managing our money. Granted, there are decisions I can look back on now and wish we'd made differently, but we've always had a savings account in place, and aside from the rare occasion we drew from it to help cover an unexpected expense, it was always growing little by little.
By the time I got pregnant, we were married, living in a small but nice apartment, had found our church and were tithing 10% of our income, he was working his current job bringing in about $3500-$4000 each month, and I had graduated college and started my career bringing home $2000-$2500 each month. Both of our cars were paid off, as well as my student loans. We were in a very good financial position in terms of being ready for a baby.
We had been debating buying a house, and once I was pregnant, we knew our apartment would be too small for our family. We found and fell in love with our house, and were moved in by the time I was 7 months along.
Then things took a turn.
In the last year and a half, we've had to buy another vehicle (mine died), buy a new rim and four new tires for his SUV, and have had other unplanned expenses; I was unable to breastfeed as planned because of previously-undetected medical issues, had to do a major repair on our home, etc. Before buying our home, I left my job to be a SAHM until our son starts school, and we bought our home knowing that we would need to live frugally in order to make it. Looking back, we didn't leave enough room for error.
Our mortgage is $1500/mo, which includes paying about $60 extra each month toward principal. Our son, as it turns out, was very sensitive in what type of formula he could take, which meant added expense, and my husband received a "promotion" that actually has become a pay cut because he is unable to work overtime in this position (but it does afford more opportunity for advancement). I recently started a part-time job to help make up the difference, but it hasn't been enough. This week, our savings officially reached $58.
Fast forward to present. We both got paid yesterday (him $1400, me $200), and our mortgage will be due the first, which meant I would need to pay the mortgage late and use these funds to pay all of our bills (utilities, homeowner's insurance, car insurance, phone bill,credit card that we had to use recently) and provide everything else we need for the next month. I babysat yesterday for a bit and used that $20 in cash to run to the store today and grab some small items. On the way home, my low fuel light came on, and I finally gave in and started to cry. I pulled to the side of the road and just let it out.
I realized that although we'd been doing charity work and helping others, I hadn't been truly humble in that I had an attitude that WE were doing well, WE were keeping ourselves in a good situation, etc. Then I prayed. I said "God, I realize why you've brought us to this place of uncertainty and what we are to gain from it. I am so incredibly grateful for this lesson, and that we've been able to learn this lesson while still having a comfortable home. I know YOU will provide for us, and have been all along. The things we have been 'going without' are so trivial in comparison to what you've given us, and I pray you will continue to keep us able to afford the home we are in."
I drove the rest of the way home, grabbed the mail out of the box, and started weeding through it (dreading finding any bills). There was an item from the bank we have our mortgage through, and my heart absolutely sank, thinking that it was some kind of bad news...
It was a money order for $2,045.23 as a refund for overpayment into our escrow (our property taxes were overestimated, and this much is left over)! I just broke down and said a prayer of thanks. I wanted to share this story with anyone who is struggling in hopes of showing people that prayer is a powerful thing.
Keep your chin up, be humble, and give it to God. He'll take care of you!

1 Peter 5.6-7:
Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you at the proper time, casting all your anxiety on Him, because he cares for you.

Deuteronomy 31.6:
Be strong and bold, have no fear or dread of them, for it is the Lord your God who goes with you. He will not fail you or forsake you.

Please know that you are not going to shake my faith. I am open to respectful discussion, but bashing will just go unanswered.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 28, 2012 at 4:18 PM
Replies (221-230):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 29, 2012 at 11:18 PM
I'm so glad things are looking up for you, and that your faith has been strengthened! Thank you for sharing as well :)

Quoting Anonymous:

Thank you for sharing this.

My husband lost his job right before Thanksgiving. We had finally started doing well and catching up from his lay off in Sept.
We unfortunately backslid on our faith. We didnt' go to church like we should, didnt' give our offering or take our communion. Heck we hardly prayed.
He lost this job suddenly and unexpectedly. I wonder if that was God teaching us that we have nothing without him.
We are trying to do better, and last night we went to church. I prayed for God's help because we have bills and no money for them or for Christmas.
Late last night i got a message from a friend on FB who is going to send gift cards from Santa for the kids and stuff. We did not ask for help from anyone. It brought tears to my eyes. Today we find out that my MIL is going to pay our rent tomorrow. I am so grateful and thankful for this help and it really is an answer to our prayers.
I do hope that he finds a job soon and we are definitely not going to forget who has helped us and won't backslide again...
I really needed to hear this today because it just reminds me that i have to keep my faith in God strong and keep hope...

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 29, 2012 at 11:20 PM
1 mom liked this
It's such an incredible feeing to realize just what has happened! :)

Quoting SommerRayne06:

I truly know how you feel! We have had similar short comings and then blessings that could have only come from God because he knew our struggles. It is amazing!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 34 on Nov. 29, 2012 at 11:24 PM
That's great. Never lose faith in the good lord
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 29, 2012 at 11:25 PM
I don't know what to tell you. That's exactly what arrived and how it got here.
If I post a pic, even with the identifying information blocked out, I'm assuming it would be easy to trace it back to my screen-name...?

Quoting Anonymous:

Banks don't send money orders....especially though the mail.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 29, 2012 at 11:29 PM
It may be. We're considering our options and how each would potentially change our situation.

Quoting TranquilMind:

Well, that's awesome. 

But that house still might be too expensive for you, with the circumstances you describe.

Our mortgage payment is about 10% of our single income, and I don't get how people can actually live comfortably with proportionately higher ones.  Kids are expensive! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 35 on Nov. 29, 2012 at 11:32 PM
Oh you... cat fish you!
harehelper
by Platinum Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Just because the words coming out of someone's mouth sound humble, that doesn't mean their hearts are. God sees and knows that things that we can't.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm happy for you but also just makes me feel like if 'God' exists he must play favorites. Some people can be humble and gracious until they are blue in the face and yet are left to suffer while others have their prayers answered in some huge way.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 29, 2012 at 11:39 PM
I'm so sorry, and I will say a prayer that you get some kind of answer! I hope he gets a job doing what he enjoys.
I try to remember that sometimes our prayers go unanswered for a reason, but I know how hard that is to deal with.

Quoting eykelley:

My husband is looking for a job up in ND on the oil rigs. If he got this job, it would 1) give us financial freedom (finally!) 2) allow me to quit my job so I can return to school again full time and finish my degree 3) give him a job he truly loves doing.

I've prayed and prayed. Not for answers but for possibilities and its not that I've received an answer I don't like. It's that I have received no answer at all. We've both attempted to contact the companies and heard nothing.

Just praying that after the holidays he hears from them. We do truly need this.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm sorry you're going through that! I'll say a prayer for you. Anything specific you're waiting on an answer about?

Quoting eykelley:

I'm happy for u momma.

:)

I'm praying God answers my cries. As of late, I've been feeling a bit absent of his presence. :(

katie2007709
by Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 11:39 PM
Thats awesome!!

I find out wednesday if I have to have surgery on my foot... I was worried I may have to miss work for a while and they dont offer short term disability so I was stressed over money ... I got a call from work yesterday saying that my family was chosen to recieve christmas gifts from work, what a blessing and a stress relief knowing christmas for kids is taken care of
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 29, 2012 at 11:42 PM
I'm very sorry, and I hope that you feel an answer soon.

Quoting Destiny907:

I sure wish God would answer just one or two of my prayers I have been praying for for over TEN years... I have become more of a Stoic than christian lately...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)