Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My prayer was answered in such a specific way, and now all I want to do is give praises!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I'm going anonymous simply because of the personal & financial info involved in the story...

My husband and I have always been *pretty good* about managing our money. Granted, there are decisions I can look back on now and wish we'd made differently, but we've always had a savings account in place, and aside from the rare occasion we drew from it to help cover an unexpected expense, it was always growing little by little.
By the time I got pregnant, we were married, living in a small but nice apartment, had found our church and were tithing 10% of our income, he was working his current job bringing in about $3500-$4000 each month, and I had graduated college and started my career bringing home $2000-$2500 each month. Both of our cars were paid off, as well as my student loans. We were in a very good financial position in terms of being ready for a baby.
We had been debating buying a house, and once I was pregnant, we knew our apartment would be too small for our family. We found and fell in love with our house, and were moved in by the time I was 7 months along.
Then things took a turn.
In the last year and a half, we've had to buy another vehicle (mine died), buy a new rim and four new tires for his SUV, and have had other unplanned expenses; I was unable to breastfeed as planned because of previously-undetected medical issues, had to do a major repair on our home, etc. Before buying our home, I left my job to be a SAHM until our son starts school, and we bought our home knowing that we would need to live frugally in order to make it. Looking back, we didn't leave enough room for error.
Our mortgage is $1500/mo, which includes paying about $60 extra each month toward principal. Our son, as it turns out, was very sensitive in what type of formula he could take, which meant added expense, and my husband received a "promotion" that actually has become a pay cut because he is unable to work overtime in this position (but it does afford more opportunity for advancement). I recently started a part-time job to help make up the difference, but it hasn't been enough. This week, our savings officially reached $58.
Fast forward to present. We both got paid yesterday (him $1400, me $200), and our mortgage will be due the first, which meant I would need to pay the mortgage late and use these funds to pay all of our bills (utilities, homeowner's insurance, car insurance, phone bill,credit card that we had to use recently) and provide everything else we need for the next month. I babysat yesterday for a bit and used that $20 in cash to run to the store today and grab some small items. On the way home, my low fuel light came on, and I finally gave in and started to cry. I pulled to the side of the road and just let it out.
I realized that although we'd been doing charity work and helping others, I hadn't been truly humble in that I had an attitude that WE were doing well, WE were keeping ourselves in a good situation, etc. Then I prayed. I said "God, I realize why you've brought us to this place of uncertainty and what we are to gain from it. I am so incredibly grateful for this lesson, and that we've been able to learn this lesson while still having a comfortable home. I know YOU will provide for us, and have been all along. The things we have been 'going without' are so trivial in comparison to what you've given us, and I pray you will continue to keep us able to afford the home we are in."
I drove the rest of the way home, grabbed the mail out of the box, and started weeding through it (dreading finding any bills). There was an item from the bank we have our mortgage through, and my heart absolutely sank, thinking that it was some kind of bad news...
It was a money order for $2,045.23 as a refund for overpayment into our escrow (our property taxes were overestimated, and this much is left over)! I just broke down and said a prayer of thanks. I wanted to share this story with anyone who is struggling in hopes of showing people that prayer is a powerful thing.
Keep your chin up, be humble, and give it to God. He'll take care of you!

1 Peter 5.6-7:
Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you at the proper time, casting all your anxiety on Him, because he cares for you.

Deuteronomy 31.6:
Be strong and bold, have no fear or dread of them, for it is the Lord your God who goes with you. He will not fail you or forsake you.

Please know that you are not going to shake my faith. I am open to respectful discussion, but bashing will just go unanswered.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 28, 2012 at 4:18 PM
Replies (251-260):
harehelper
by Platinum Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Very well put, I may have to quote you one of these days if you don't mind. :)

Quoting Anonymous:

It"s not the same thing, men created religion not God. Having personal relationship is not worldly but spiritual because God is a spirit, he's not human. Religion fails us because people are not perfect, but God is.

Quoting Katt709:

To me that's the same thing.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't put my faith in religion that would be men, but in an all powerful and loving God.

Quoting Katt709:

While I think your story is nice - that check is not an answer to a prayer. It would have been there regardless of prayer. Putting that much faith in religion is how people drown in debt or even die. I will just never understand why otherwise intelligent people can be so stupid when it comes to religion.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:11 AM
It can be so hard to keep perspective, but I'm sure you're going to come through it better for the experience.
I hope things change for you soon!

Quoting DevinAnnesmom:

That's amazing!! God is so good!!

We've been in the situation you are describing for 10 years now. I just keep praying and I know one day things will be better. For now, I figure we're learing a lesson that will help us in the future.

VintageWife
by Silver Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:13 AM

That is really great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

harehelper
by Platinum Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Since this post is filled with so many that are spiritual I'm curious, why I've lived a life of faith, honesty, giving etc and yet my family has suffered some of the most awful things. Ive worked my tail off my whole life being good and providing for my family and more yet it is one crappy thing after another. If I told you all that we continue to go through you would see that we can't catch a break. It isn't the fault of choices, decisions, irresponsibility etc. it just happens. Meanwhile my sil whom is anything but honesty and good has her life just handed to her. She doesn't work for it, she doesn't do anything to earn Gods special favors.
Why is that? Why do I devote my childhood, teen years and most of my adult years to serving and nothing good comes to our family?
No, I don't expect anything that i havent worked for in return but why does our life suck day after day, year after year if there is a loving, kind and honorable God that I've given myself to for so long? For so long I DID expect our family to be blessed with the good energy that we were giving out.
There is always an answer for the good, God answered my prayers, God blessed us etc. but never for the bad. We haven't earned it, we don't deserve it so what purpose does it serve?

There are answers for everything, but that doesn't mean we will be able to see them. You can't ever "earn" God's favor, or God's grace, it isn't possible. That is why it is called grace, because He gives it to us even when we don't deserve it. Grace comes through faith, not through works.

No human being will be able to tell you why you are struggling, because no human being knows either your heart/mind, or God's plan for your life. Only God can answer these questions for you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:19 AM
I wondered the same thing, but didn't get a response.

Quoting harehelper:

What does the one have to do with the other?

Quoting Anonymous:

Because yes clearly your prayer for money trumped my grandmothers prayer to live and not die of cancer. Seems legit.

jojo827
by Silver Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:20 AM
Great story! I have several similar stories of my own. Prayer is definitely a powerful thing!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cricketdawn81
by Silver Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:21 AM

That is wonderful!!!!

Wifeyy2Lette
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:23 AM
Praise God!!! :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
harehelper
by Platinum Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:24 AM

I hope she will come back on and talk to us more, I hate to see someone hurting so much.

Quoting Anonymous:

I wondered the same thing, but didn't get a response.

Quoting harehelper:

What does the one have to do with the other?

Quoting Anonymous:

Because yes clearly your prayer for money trumped my grandmothers prayer to live and not die of cancer. Seems legit.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:24 AM
I coud have taken unpaid maternity leave, but I was working 60 hours a week (and on salary, so only getting paid for 40), and we decided together that a schedule like that wasn't conducive to how we wanted to raise our son.

Quoting D.O.E.:

what happened to your income? did you not have mat leave benefits? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)