Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

You know you're poor when...

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
You get excited to have hamburger in spaghetti! Noodles and sauce for as long as I can remember.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 28, 2012 at 6:56 PM
Replies (381-390):
.ChiMama.
by Gold Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 7:04 AM
Both are usually a $1 each in a lot of stores in Chicago. That's when we stock up.

Quoting Anonymous:

You could afford pasta and sauce, that hardly qualifies as poor.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
witchybabymomma
by Bronze Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 8:23 AM

LOL TOO TRUE NOT SO MANY MONTHS AGO WE WERE HAVING MEATLESS SPAGHETTI TWICE A WEEK

HOPE THINGS ARE LOOKING UP :-)

sandra_t00
by ChaChi on Nov. 29, 2012 at 8:29 AM
2 moms liked this

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 75 on Nov. 29, 2012 at 8:41 AM
Get a lemon, squeeze juice over noodles, top with garlic powder and pepper. Cheap, healthy, and good!
JLo1486
by Gold Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 8:46 AM
Thank you! Hopefully this doesn't post me as anon like it was doing yesterday lol.

Quoting moneysaver6:

You bet.  Are you a Celiac or just gluten-intolerant?  Regardless, you want to go off of all potentially gluten products for 12 weeks first.  Then, you can introduce spelt.  Many celiacs & most who are just gluten-intolerant can have spelt without difficulty.  It used to be called a gluten-free grain, but lost that status because some Celiacs can't tolerate it. 

If you can, that's the easiest situation to adapt to. You simply substitute spelt flour anywhere you would use whole wheat flour.  You will need to utilize whole wheat recipes (substituting the spelt), though.  If you can use spelt, I would recommend adding gluten-free dough enhancers when making any rising dough product like bread or rolls.  The best gluten-free enhancers are vinegar & potato flakes.  I use both in all of my roll & bread recipes.  You use the same amount of vinegar if you use yeast.  (If you use 1 tsp of yeast in a recipe, then you'll use 1 tsp of vinegar.)  I put 1/4 potato flakes per batch of rolls & per loaf of bread in a recipe. (My favorite bread recipe, for Ezekial bread, makes 3 loaves of bread.  I use 3/4 cup of potato flakes in that recipe.)

If you can't use spelt, then you'll have to learn how to mix different flours (you usually use around 3) with xantham or guar gum.  When baking like this, precise measurements are VERY important.  Gluten-free baking isn't very forgiving at ALL.  One little measurement being off & it can ruin the whole recipe.  If the funds are available, then I recommend that you keep a couple of mixes on hand just in case a recipe fails and you NEED that item right away.  My favorite cake mix is made by Namaste.  The Betty Crocker gluten-free products are good too, but the Namaste remains my favorite cake mix.  Those who aren't gluten-free can't tell that it is.  

All Recipes does have a good selection of gluten-free recipes.  Here are some of my favorite gluten-free recipe sites besides All Recipes:

Feel free to message me at any time if you have any other questions.

Quoting Anonymous:

Could you give me some pointers. New to the No Gluten thing :(

Quoting moneysaver6:

Yes, because those with gluten allergies are talking about living off of processed, store-bought noodles & Ramen noodles.

Still, part way through our horrid year, our oldest was diagnosed with Celiac. Many Celiacs & those who are gluten-intolerant can handle spelt. In that case, they just substitute the wheat for spelt.

For those who can't tolerate spelt, they can grind beans, rices, tapioca, flax seed, & millet into flour. If someone is gluten-free & struggling, then they can't likely afford the store-bought mixes or pre-made products anyway. They'll have to learn how to combine the different flours with xantham or guar gum to make homemade products.

Quoting Anonymous:

What about those with a gluten allergy?

Quoting moneysaver6:
CutieCrab
by Jen on Nov. 29, 2012 at 8:48 AM
True.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 76 on Nov. 29, 2012 at 8:50 AM
I had an eating disorder growing up, but was in recovery when I moved out on my own... Dh and I fell on hard times. Money was extremely tight. I found out I was pregnant with ds, because I hadn't eaten in 3 weeks and had to be rushed to the hospital because I collapsed... To me, it felt like karma coming back to bite me in the ass for the many years I had food sitting right in front of me that I kept pushing away.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 77 on Nov. 29, 2012 at 9:00 AM

My budget for awhile was, pb&J and Ramen....at least we had food.

Legaltype
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 9:11 AM

LOL. I definitely understand that! One of these days it'll all be better....(sigh)

askyourmother
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 9:13 AM
I never put meat in my spaghetti.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)