Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

You know you're poor when...

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
You get excited to have hamburger in spaghetti! Noodles and sauce for as long as I can remember.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 28, 2012 at 6:56 PM
Replies (301-310):
briansmommy2010
by Ruby Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 11:53 PM
I'll have to check again, maybe I'm just missing it. But like I said, I tend to just buy my rice in bulk anyways. But it would be convenient for times when we run out and may not be able to get to the grocery store for our big bag.

Quoting Anonymous:

I am able to get it at mine- I use it to fill i-spy jars and heating pads :o)

Quoting briansmommy2010:

Oh I'm not arguing that at all. Ramen is nowhere near healthy. I've never seen rice at my dollar store though. Then again, I tend to just buy like a 10lb bag, and that will last me sometimes as long as 2 months.

Quoting Anonymous:

Eh, dollar tree sells rice in a decent size bag. Certainly healthier than raman. Not that I am knocking it, because I love ramen, but it's not anywhere near the realm of healthy.

Quoting briansmommy2010:

Again, rice is really not cheaper when you are having to scrape together change. I have never seen a bag of rice for less than $3, but you can buy a 6 pack of ramen for $1.

Quoting moneysaver6:

Rice is cheaper & healthier.

Quoting Robsessed98:

Ramen noodles are cheap and real good. I eat them even when the cupboards are full. You can be creative with stuff to mix in it.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 36 on Nov. 28, 2012 at 11:53 PM
2 moms liked this

goddam you just can not STFU can you? how do you want her to grind that wheat?? ffs. omfg already. just STOP!! dirts free, let's eat that. is that poor enough for you?

Quoting moneysaver6:

$3 can buy 12 lbs of wheat which, when ground, yields 18 lbs of flour which can make far more than 5 lbs of pasta.

$3 can also buy 9 lbs of white rice or 6 lbs of brown rice.

I'm certain that's her point. Someone who is the poorest of poor won't have a choice BUT to look at the cheaper options.

Quoting Anonymous:

At Walmart I buy the 5lb bag of spaghetti for $3 and $1 sauce. Sounds poor friendly to me

Quoting Anonymous:

You could afford pasta and sauce, that hardly qualifies as poor.

moneysaver6
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 11:54 PM
The price is $.33/lb if you buy a 25 lb bag. The bag would be $8.25 total...but you'd have 25 lbs of rice with which to feed your family.

Quoting briansmommy2010:

I have NEVER seen a 3lb bag of rice for $1, and rice is one of my biggest staples.

Quoting moneysaver6:

$1 can buy almost 4 lbs of wheat which, when ground, makes 6 lbs of flour which yields far more than 1 lb of pasta.

$1 can also buy over 3lbs of white rice or 2 lbs of brown rice. Either of those would provide more than the 1 meal you can get from a package of pasta.

Quoting Anonymous:

pasta is a dollar and so is sauce

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
briansmommy2010
by Ruby Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 12:02 AM
1 mom liked this
You obviously aren't considering difference in cost of living in different areas. I usually buy a 10lb bag (mainly because we just don't have anywhere to store 25lbs), and it costs me about $6, and that's at a bargain grocery store. But either way, I have never seen a $1 bag of rice, anywhere. The less you buy, the more you are paying per pound (which as a "money saver" I would assume you know).

And for the record, I'm not struggling to feed my family. Things may be tight on occasion, but it has been a very long time since we had to scrape together our change to buy dinner for the night.

Quoting moneysaver6:

The price is $.33/lb if you buy a 25 lb bag. The bag would be $8.25 total...but you'd have 25 lbs of rice with which to feed your family.

Quoting briansmommy2010:

I have NEVER seen a 3lb bag of rice for $1, and rice is one of my biggest staples.

Quoting moneysaver6:

$1 can buy almost 4 lbs of wheat which, when ground, makes 6 lbs of flour which yields far more than 1 lb of pasta.

$1 can also buy over 3lbs of white rice or 2 lbs of brown rice. Either of those would provide more than the 1 meal you can get from a package of pasta.

Quoting Anonymous:

pasta is a dollar and so is sauce

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 60 on Nov. 29, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

I hope things get better for you. When I was a child, there were times when bean soup and powdered milk were all we had. A good meal is something alot of us take for granted. To the people who think that it is easy to scrounge up some change for crackers or pasta sauce or whatever, you have never been there. I haven't been in that situation since I was a teen, yet I still remember my parents panicking about how to get by. Not every situation is black and white, everyone has a different story and different circumstances.

Very well said, thank you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 18 on Nov. 29, 2012 at 12:07 AM
Huh milk cost more then two dollars!!!!! And besides, I get what he wants.

Quoting Anonymous:

So then I guess you should have bought a 1/2 gallon of milk. WTH!

Quoting Amazing77:

Yea only because my son was asking for som. I kept denying it to him because I didn't have no more money so it was like a blessing. we normally don't get that kind of stuff in the house because we can't afford. we dont have milk, pop or any of those goodies we live out of water and

Quoting Anonymous:

You wasted $2 on a pop????? Really?

Quoting Anonymous:

I got super happy when I found 2 dollars at laundromat. I quickly asked my 14yr old DS to run to the store and get us a soda pop. Our dinners is always white rice and beans and water to drink.

SusanD
by Gold Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 12:08 AM
I remember as a child living off potatoes day after day after day, noodles with a hint of butter and garlic were a staple, and cornbread and beans or rice with a sprinkle of meat was a luxury. I also remember my mother going days without eating and either telling us kids she was "too busy to eat right now", "dieting", or just "not hungry" because she didn't want us to know she was going hungry. I remember going into the kitchen one day after dinner and seeing her scraping everything she could off the plates into a bowl for her to eat. That was when I realized how bad things really were.

I'm thankful that as an adult I've never had it that bad, but I learned the value of a dollar. Its a lesson that hopefully my children can learn another way. I feel for you mommas that are struggling! I hope that things improve very soon for you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Irenesmommy
by Gold Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 12:09 AM

when I could scrape enough for a totinos pizza, that was a feast!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 60 on Nov. 29, 2012 at 12:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting momto2crazykids:

Aww let her splurge, I love my soda

Quoting Lydlou02:

And you wasted $2 on soda? You coulda got some canned veggies, wouda lasted longer.

Quoting Anonymous:

I got super happy when I found 2 dollars at laundromat. I quickly asked my 14yr old DS to run to the store and get us a soda pop. Our dinners is always white rice and beans and water to drink.

This pisses me off. Afterwards she said she got it for her kid when they don't even have milk in the house. If it was me, that $2 would have gone straight to a half gallon of whole milk which you can water down and have an entire gallon! Come on! I love my soda too, but if I was that broke, the milk comes first. Or canned veggies, or anything remotely healthy like beans or rice...

macysmom
by Platinum Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 12:18 AM
I have been very poor as a child and as an adult. Life throws you plenty of downs before it throws you up. If it wasn't for my childhood neighbors, I would have only had 1 meal a day. My mom hardly ever ate. I feel bad now bc as a sahm I get bored and just eat. I'm getting fatter by the day. I will remember this post and remember my mom and cut back on eating. If something were to happen to us financially, my fat ass would have ate all the food up. Thanks, this could be my new diet plan. Remembering the sacrifice my mom and other moms have made and are making now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)