Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

You know you're poor when...

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
You get excited to have hamburger in spaghetti! Noodles and sauce for as long as I can remember.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 28, 2012 at 6:56 PM
Replies (311-320):
BeautyFull
by Silver Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 12:21 AM

For anyone who is looking for a way out of lack and need help. Please feel free to contact me.  I want to invite you to join me on the road to becoming a Healthy/Wealthy Mom.

littlesippycup
by Ruby Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Oh my gosh, how sad. You're poor mom.

Quoting SusanD:

I remember as a child living off potatoes day after day after day, noodles with a hint of butter and garlic were a staple, and cornbread and beans or rice with a sprinkle of meat was a luxury. I also remember my mother going days without eating and either telling us kids she was "too busy to eat right now", "dieting", or just "not hungry" because she didn't want us to know she was going hungry. I remember going into the kitchen one day after dinner and seeing her scraping everything she could off the plates into a bowl for her to eat. That was when I realized how bad things really were.

I'm thankful that as an adult I've never had it that bad, but I learned the value of a dollar. Its a lesson that hopefully my children can learn another way. I feel for you mommas that are struggling! I hope that things improve very soon for you.

Famousglm714
by Gina on Nov. 29, 2012 at 12:27 AM
Me too. This whole thread. :(

Quoting sweetnsassymami:

Snakes! Omg I'm having anxiety thinking about that. This posts makes me so sad:/

Quoting Anonymous:

We didn't leave near any parks. We lived on a dirt road that had no name. We were pretty rural. We did have a small plum orchard in the back, but it didn't give fruits out all the time. We even ate snakes that we found and killed.

Quoting moneysaver6:

Yup. And learning which parks within walking distance have gardens or trees with edible fruit or leaves.

Quoting Anonymous:

Poor is going down the road to the cemetery to pick pears out of a tree there because you have nothing else.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 29, 2012 at 12:30 AM

Internet is paid for by my husbands employer, and the computer belongs to them too. Our area food banks are tapped out. You literally have to be in line 2 days early in order to get anything. We have no way of doing it. We have no one to watch the kids for me to go, and my husband can't miss work. We live in an area with a 29% unemployment rate.

Quoting MochaBerry24:

Omg!!! There has got to be somewhere you can get some free food!! Just wondering tho, you can afford internet but not food?

Quoting Anonymous:

I would give my left leg for noodles and sauce right now! We're at the time of the pay cycle that means adults don't eat for a couple days. :(

ElitestJen
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 12:46 AM
2 moms liked this

I took jobs involving food to keep from starving.  I went without eating quite frequently so that my daughter had enough. 

There's a whole lot of excuses going on here:

"Not everyone knows how." - are they learning disabled?  This is part of preparing for survival.  In the internet age, this is not an excuse.

"Not everyone has cooking utensils."  - wtf?  a pot and a spoon don't work, anymore?  how did our ancestors ever survive?

"It's cheaper to plan for one meal than to buy in bulk."  Uhhh...only if you're planning your last meal.  Otherwise, you still gotta eat tomorrow.

"I have dietary restrictions."  - Right...and it excludes all ingredients to all foods. 

"There's no time to cook." - is there time to reassess your priorities?  Set a timer, doze on the couch.  Get a grip.

Those of you making excuses, this is why you're poor.  This is why you're hungry.  This is why you will never permanently get out of the hole and be self-reliant.  There are few things I despise more than cooking.  I would do it even if I worked 18hr days if it kept me or my kids from starving.

Famousglm714
by Gina on Nov. 29, 2012 at 12:48 AM
Are you in MI? PM me. I can help you if you're close.

Quoting Anonymous:

Internet is paid for by my husbands employer, and the computer belongs to them too. Our area food banks are tapped out. You literally have to be in line 2 days early in order to get anything. We have no way of doing it. We have no one to watch the kids for me to go, and my husband can't miss work. We live in an area with a 29% unemployment rate.

Quoting MochaBerry24:

Omg!!! There has got to be somewhere you can get some free food!! Just wondering tho, you can afford internet but not food?

Quoting Anonymous:

I would give my left leg for noodles and sauce right now! We're at the time of the pay cycle that means adults don't eat for a couple days. :(

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
helema24
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 12:51 AM

when buttered noodles with salt pepper and dried seasonmings is considered a meal.....

when ramen noodles look edible...

when your meal consists of stale bread and cheese...

when your kids eat and you go without so they can get their fill.....

power bitch slap internetMuslim Cat prays towards Mecca. LoL by: wirgylovesamletoandshayaprofessor cat. reply[]

504bbymami
by Emerald Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 12:52 AM
Same. My go to things was flour mixed with water and salt. Just something to make the tummy stop hurting so bad. Being hungry SUCKS!

Quoting Dzyre1115:

You wouldn't believe what we ate when we were poor.  It was so sad and I am so glad my kids will never live like that.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 29, 2012 at 12:55 AM

No. I'm in WV.

Quoting Famousglm714:

Are you in MI? PM me. I can help you if you're close.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting MochaBerry24:

Quoting Anonymous:

jeannie39
by Silver Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 12:57 AM

Been there!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)