Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

You know you're poor when...

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
You get excited to have hamburger in spaghetti! Noodles and sauce for as long as I can remember.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 28, 2012 at 6:56 PM
Replies (331-340):
happymotherof6
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 2:27 AM

gosh I have never heard of such sad things like this.

I'm so glad I read this thread it makes me appreciate what I have in my kitchen because I find myself having bread, pasta, pancake mix, cereal, milk, juice, chicken, big bags of rice an beans and i'll tell my husband that we need food we need to go shopping becuase I feel like cooking something else and the kids want pizza and there favorite ice cream. this has helped me realize that I was not being very thankful.

Quoting Devious333:

I believe it. I had neighbors as a kid once who would kill rattle snakes, rabbits, cats, and eat them.

Quoting happymotherof6:

this makes me sad too:( are you guys being truthful?

Quoting Famousglm714:

Me too. This whole thread. :(

Quoting sweetnsassymami:

Snakes! Omg I'm having anxiety thinking about that. This posts makes me so sad:/

Quoting Anonymous:

We didn't leave near any parks. We lived on a dirt road that had no name. We were pretty rural. We did have a small plum orchard in the back, but it didn't give fruits out all the time. We even ate snakes that we found and killed.

Quoting moneysaver6:

Yup. And learning which parks within walking distance have gardens or trees with edible fruit or leaves.

Quoting Anonymous:

Poor is going down the road to the cemetery to pick pears out of a tree there because you have nothing else.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 29, 2012 at 2:29 AM
Being able to afford to spend $2 is hardly well off

Quoting Anonymous:

You could afford pasta and sauce, that hardly qualifies as poor.

ProudArmySister
by Bronze Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 2:30 AM

Hahaha...I have learned to hate spaghetti haha :(

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 29, 2012 at 2:36 AM

I was living with my bff in a studio apartment when I was about 19.  Man we where so POOR.  One of the most pathetic crazy things we did was we would steal toilet paper from different restaurants and places that would allow us to use their bathroom.  The few bucks we saved right there on a roll of tp met the difference between eating and not eating rawmen that night lol.  

moneysaver6
by Platinum Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 2:43 AM
You don't need special tools or utensils to cook from scratch.

Quoting Anonymous:

OP I'm glad you got meat! :) Been there!And while you have good tips Moneysaver, you come across as a self righteous, condescending bitch!You don't know her situation maybe she doesn't have the toys and utensils to cook from scratch properly.SMH
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
moneysaver6
by Platinum Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 2:52 AM

You bet!

Quoting Anonymous:

Thank you so much. I'll definitely check it out!
Quoting moneysaver6:

I got on the computer just for you.  :-) I do have a blog.  Two of them, actually.  They're in the signature of this response.  The "Thoughts of THAT Mom" one is the one you'll want to go to.  Click on the "Homemade Products" link to see many of my homemade cleaners & things like oatmeal packets.  The "Mom Saver" link will have more of the homemade items & my money-saving tips.

I took a hiatus after my dad died in April, but I'm in the process of writing again and have new blogs scheduled to post again on the first of January.

Quoting Anonymous:

Do you have a blog? You have alot of useful tips.
Quoting moneysaver6:

Plus, 25lbs of juicing carrots is typically between $7 & $10; depending on the area.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 29, 2012 at 2:53 AM
Very much truthful. Our father would drink his paychecks away and go to strip clubs. He knew we didn't have food, but chose to go out for drinks instead. I don't talk to him very often.

Quoting happymotherof6:

this makes me sad too:( are you guys being truthful?

Quoting Famousglm714:

Me too. This whole thread. :(

Quoting sweetnsassymami:

Snakes! Omg I'm having anxiety thinking about that. This posts makes me so sad:/

Quoting Anonymous:

We didn't leave near any parks. We lived on a dirt road that had no name. We were pretty rural. We did have a small plum orchard in the back, but it didn't give fruits out all the time. We even ate snakes that we found and killed.

Quoting moneysaver6:

Yup. And learning which parks within walking distance have gardens or trees with edible fruit or leaves.

Quoting Anonymous:

Poor is going down the road to the cemetery to pick pears out of a tree there because you have nothing else.

moneysaver6
by Platinum Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 2:56 AM

Can you do basic sewing?  After making my first couple of pads, I was really surprised at how easy it was and wondered why I hadn't done so before.  You can use materials that you already have around the house.  Fleece blankets are great for the outer layers (especially the one that goes right up against your skin).  You can put old towels inbetween the fleece layers.  You can also use old t-shirts.

For my first pattern, I just drew around the pads that I liked best size-wise & sewed from there.  (My first couple were terrible.)  However, there are now some great patterns online.  A quick Google search will yield several to choose from.

Quoting Anonymous:

You're poor when you take the diapers your son has grown out of and cut them to make pads. Sigh.

mommieof3_752
by Gold Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 2:57 AM

I hope thing look up for you.

JacksMom1221
by Platinum Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 2:57 AM
Lol, I used to just eat a lot of ramen noodles. Got excited about creamy chicken, spicy beef, cheese flavored. Yeah, I was poor. There were times when I had to choose beer or.food because I didn't have money for both. It.sucked being that broke so I usually chose the beer. At least I would be drunk and not hungry.

Eta: just read some replies, and wow, wtf?! I have.never in my life seen assholes accuse someone of not being poor because they could afford pasta and premade sauce. How patronizing, rude, and frankly rather disgusting. I'd be ashamed to speak to another person who was going through rough times in such a manner. It's just despicable.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)