Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

You know you're poor when...

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
You get excited to have hamburger in spaghetti! Noodles and sauce for as long as I can remember.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 28, 2012 at 6:56 PM
Replies (341-350):
thehickinhickor
by Platinum Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 2:58 AM
I am poor but this post makes me feel rich. hugs to everyone i hope things get better for everyone !
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 51 on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:10 AM
Could you give me some pointers. New to the No Gluten thing :(

Quoting moneysaver6:

Yes, because those with gluten allergies are talking about living off of processed, store-bought noodles & Ramen noodles.

Still, part way through our horrid year, our oldest was diagnosed with Celiac. Many Celiacs & those who are gluten-intolerant can handle spelt. In that case, they just substitute the wheat for spelt.

For those who can't tolerate spelt, they can grind beans, rices, tapioca, flax seed, & millet into flour. If someone is gluten-free & struggling, then they can't likely afford the store-bought mixes or pre-made products anyway. They'll have to learn how to combine the different flours with xantham or guar gum to make homemade products.

Quoting Anonymous:

What about those with a gluten allergy?

Quoting moneysaver6:

$3 can buy 12 lbs of wheat which, when ground, yields 18 lbs of flour which can make far more than 5 lbs of pasta.

$3 can also buy 9 lbs of white rice or 6 lbs of brown rice.

I'm certain that's her point. Someone who is the poorest of poor won't have a choice BUT to look at the cheaper options.

Quoting Anonymous:

At Walmart I buy the 5lb bag of spaghetti for $3 and $1 sauce. Sounds poor friendly to me

Quoting Anonymous:

You could afford pasta and sauce, that hardly qualifies as poor.

kbornman21
by Silver Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:11 AM
Yum spaghetti..it's midnight...I'm gonna make some spaghetti
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 62 on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:12 AM
Wow

Quoting JacksMom1221:

Lol, I used to just eat a lot of ramen noodles. Got excited about creamy chicken, spicy beef, cheese flavored. Yeah, I was poor. There were times when I had to choose beer or.food because I didn't have money for both. It.sucked being that broke so I usually chose the beer. At least I would be drunk and not hungry.

Eta: just read some replies, and wow, wtf?! I have.never in my life seen assholes accuse someone of not being poor because they could afford pasta and premade sauce. How patronizing, rude, and frankly rather disgusting. I'd be ashamed to speak to another person who was going through rough times in such a manner. It's just despicable.
moneysaver6
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:16 AM

Everyone who is online here at Cafemom obviously has access to the internet.  It doesn't take much to look up the recipe for whatever it is that you need to make.  It's much easier for anyone with internet access than it was for me back when I learned from my grandmother's old 1950's cookbook.

My favorite site to use now is AllRecipes.  Another great site is SuperCook.  You can enter the ingredients that you have on hand and it will tell you which recipes fit your current ingredients.

I didn't have any special tools for making pasta until last year when I finally bought a pastry cutter...and all that does is make for slightly easier cutting & a prettier edge.  I had been making pasta for years before then with only a rolling pin, a knife, & a pizza cutter.  Of course, there are some pastas that I can't make, but I do what I can.  I make lasagna, fettucini, mini lasagna, & bowtie pasta.  I don't do that every time we have pasta, though.  I make enough for several months at once & freeze the extra.  When I didn't have the space to freeze the extra, then I dried it so that it was shelf stable.

I have never needed any special tools for my sauces.

Quoting briansmommy2010:

not everybody knows how to do things like make their own pasta and sauce completely from scratch. Sure, they can learn, but they just may not have the time to do it (I know I sure as hell don't have time for anything like that). Plus, making your own pasta and sauce can require using certain kitchen tools that not everybody has access to.
Quoting moneysaver6:
Anonymous
by Anonymous 65 on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:25 AM

This thread is very sad...but reading that made me giggle a little...that bitch is going a little far...like everyone has a grinder..if you cant afford rice, Im sure you cant afford a grinder..

Quoting Anonymous:

goddam you just can not STFU can you? how do you want her to grind that wheat?? ffs. omfg already. just STOP!! dirts free, let's eat that. is that poor enough for you?

Quoting moneysaver6:

$3 can buy 12 lbs of wheat which, when ground, yields 18 lbs of flour which can make far more than 5 lbs of pasta.

I'm certain that's her point. Someone who is the poorest of poor won't have a choice BUT to look at the cheaper options.

Quoting Anonymous:

At Walmart I buy the 5lb bag of spaghetti for $3 and $1 sauce. Sounds poor friendly to me

Quoting Anonymous:

moneysaver6
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:38 AM

I'm not saying that anyone has to do anything.  I was simply providing cheaper and healthier options for those who would care to know.  If you're not interested or don't care, then you're more than welcome to move on.

As far as grinding the wheat goes...a blender is all that's necessary.  I didn't have an actual wheat grinder for several years.  When I did get one, it was a cheap manual one that only cost $20. 

Your dirt comment is just ridiculous. But if that's what you want to eat, then you're more than welcome to do so.  Whatever floats your boat.

Quoting Anonymous:

(deleted) you just can not STFU can you? how do you want her to grind that wheat?? ffs. omfg already. just STOP!! dirts free, let's eat that. is that poor enough for you?

Quoting moneysaver6:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

briansmommy2010
by Ruby Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:41 AM
Well maybe I will look into learning myself. I love pasta, and I would be interested in at least attempting to make my own. A rolling pin and pizza cutter I'm sure she could purchased for cheap enough. My biggest fear would be not rolling the pasta dough thin enough before I cut.

Also, as I said before, I generally don't have time to do ANYTHING like this. I'm actually on a bit of a "vacation" right now, because of the holiday. I go back to work on Friday morning, and between then and December 23rd I will have 2 days off (and one of those days I will be driving halfway through the night, so I'm not totally sure I would even really call it a day off.)

This is the reason that, sadly, DS eats a lot more processed crap than I would prefer him to. DF has very limited cooking abilities. He make pasta with meat sauce which is DS's favorite meal), he can make fries chicken (which he doesn't, because its very hit or miss to get DS to eat chicken-and more often than not a miss), and there is maybe a small handful of other things he can make that aren't as simple as opening a box, and throwing its contents into a preheated oven, lol. And sadly he just doesn't have the desire to learn. I am not home at night, since my job takes me out of town for 5 days at a time usually. What I would like to do is invest in microwave and oven safe storage containers. That way I can make certain meals while I'm home, and then make "tv dinners" out of them, and not just for DS, but so that DF Dan maybe start eating healthier also.

Sorry to go off on a bit of a tangent. I know you mean well with your suggestions, but you have to keep things like cost of living, time constraints, and skill level in mind.

Quoting moneysaver6:

Everyone who is online here at Cafemom obviously has access to the internet.  It doesn't take much to look up the recipe for whatever it is that you need to make.  It's much easier for anyone with internet access than it was for me back when I learned from my grandmother's old 1950's cookbook.

My favorite site to use now is AllRecipes.  Another great site is SuperCook.  You can enter the ingredients that you have on hand and it will tell you which recipes fit your current ingredients.

I didn't have any special tools for making pasta until last year when I finally bought a pastry cutter...and all that does is make for slightly easier cutting & a prettier edge.  I had been making pasta for years before then with only a rolling pin, a knife, & a pizza cutter.  Of course, there are some pastas that I can't make, but I do what I can.  I make lasagna, fettucini, mini lasagna, & bowtie pasta.  I don't do that every time we have pasta, though.  I make enough for several months at once & freeze the extra.  When I didn't have the space to freeze the extra, then I dried it so that it was shelf stable.

I have never needed any special tools for my sauces.

Quoting briansmommy2010:

not everybody knows how to do things like make their own pasta and sauce completely from scratch. Sure, they can learn, but they just may not have the time to do it (I know I sure as hell don't have time for anything like that). Plus, making your own pasta and sauce can require using certain kitchen tools that not everybody has access to.

Quoting moneysaver6:
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AbriCrazy
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:42 AM
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 66 on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:44 AM
My ex had to steal toilet paper from school in high school. He said the same phrase.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)