Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

You know you're poor when...

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
You get excited to have hamburger in spaghetti! Noodles and sauce for as long as I can remember.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 28, 2012 at 6:56 PM
Replies (351-360):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:49 AM
When you gotta take food from work,when you take bathroom tissue from work,school,stores from the bathroom,when u need food boxes,when u eat noodles,beans,rice almost every day no meat nothing when u only have sink water to drink,when u have no hot water yea that was my childhood
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:51 AM
I don't own a blender. Or an oven. We have one saucepan and one other pan, one plate, 2 mugs, 4 cups, 2 regular bowls, 4 kids bowls, a can opener, a cheese shredder, a stove-top, a microwave, a fridge, and a coffee maker.
The money we make just barely covers rent, 1 cell phone a month, and absolute necessities.
We are poor. It sucks ass. To see comments like this really hurt. Oh just get a blender. Just get this, just get that. It is really not that simple.

Quoting moneysaver6:

I'm not saying that anyone has to do anything.  I was simply providing cheaper and healthier options for those who would care to know.  If you're not interested or don't care, then you're more than welcome to move on.

As far as grinding the wheat goes...a blender is all that's necessary.  I didn't have an actual wheat grinder for several years.  When I did get one, it was a cheap manual one that only cost $20. 

Your dirt comment is just ridiculous. But if that's what you want to eat, then you're more than welcome to do so.  Whatever floats your boat.

Quoting Anonymous:

(deleted) you just can not STFU can you? how do you want her to grind that wheat?? ffs. omfg already. just STOP!! dirts free, let's eat that. is that poor enough for you?

Quoting moneysaver6:

$3 can buy 12 lbs of wheat which, when ground, yields 18 lbs of flour which can make far more than 5 lbs of pasta.

$3 can also buy 9 lbs of white rice or 6 lbs of brown rice.

I'm certain that's her point. Someone who is the poorest of poor won't have a choice BUT to look at the cheaper options.

Quoting Anonymous:

At Walmart I buy the 5lb bag of spaghetti for $3 and $1 sauce. Sounds poor friendly to me

Quoting Anonymous:

You could afford pasta and sauce, that hardly qualifies as poor.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:51 AM

Also when you have to decide which of you is going to have to go hungry for the day - me, being 39 weeks pregnant, my sick and disabled MIL, or my DH who works 12-hour days and then spends 4 hours a night trying to finish his degree...

briansmommy2010
by Ruby Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:57 AM
A lot of your "lame excuses" I notice are things that I said (not that I'm surprised, because I'm pretty sure I could tell you the sky is blue, and grass green, and you would argue with me). But I will address them.

As far as not knowing how and not having the correct utensils, moneysaver6 has corrected me on that, and explained that very limited tools are needed for making pasta (which I was unaware of, because I grew up with a mom who made quick easy meals every night when she got home from work). Most people can be taught how to cook just about anything, but you're naive if you think EVERYBODY can cook from scratch just as easily as they can google a recipe. My DF, for example, is highly "cooking impaired", and I have seen him screw up a very simple recipe.

Of course you still have to eat tomorrow, but it again comes down to people who don't know their way very easily around a kitchen, and may live paycheck to paycheck. If they are unaware of how to cook completely from scratch, and on a VERY tight budget, it will make more sense for them to buy partially prepared meals.

I don't have any dietary restrictions, but again you're very naive if you don't realize that things like gluten allergies can make feeding a family MUCH MORE costly than usual.

And then there is the time issue. I won't explain the way I just did to moneysaver6, but if you'd like, you can read that response as well. I absolutely do not have the time to be cooking from scratch all the time.

And no, I wouldn't call myself poor. We live paycheck to paycheck, but bills are paid, keeping the house stocked with food is almost never an issue (aside from the first week in January, when my company is on vacation.

Quoting ElitestJen:

I took jobs involving food to keep from starving.  I went without eating quite frequently so that my daughter had enough. 

There's a whole lot of excuses going on here:

"Not everyone knows how." - are they learning disabled?  This is part of preparing for survival.  In the internet age, this is not an excuse.

"Not everyone has cooking utensils."  - wtf?  a pot and a spoon don't work, anymore?  how did our ancestors ever survive?

"It's cheaper to plan for one meal than to buy in bulk."  Uhhh...only if you're planning your last meal.  Otherwise, you still gotta eat tomorrow.

"I have dietary restrictions."  - Right...and it excludes all ingredients to all foods. 

"There's no time to cook." - is there time to reassess your priorities?  Set a timer, doze on the couch.  Get a grip.

Those of you making excuses, this is why you're poor.  This is why you're hungry.  This is why you will never permanently get out of the hole and be self-reliant.  There are few things I despise more than cooking.  I would do it even if I worked 18hr days if it kept me or my kids from starving.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
moneysaver6
by Platinum Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 4:34 AM

Clearly, you don't understand the definition of "poor".  Or, more accurately, the "working poor".

You DO realize that those who make "just above" the qualfiying levels don't get ANYTHING. (Hence them saying that they are "just above" the level to qualify.)

There are a LOT of people who are just above the line to qualify for any aid who really struggle.  My story is not an uncommon one.  Perhaps the details are different, but the disparity between those who qualify for aid and those who are just above the line to qualify for aid is huge...and sickening.  Those who make above the line to qualify for aid are the TRUE working poor of this country.

Quoting Anonymous:

Your problem wasn't that you were "poor" then, it was that you had extremely high expenses. HUGE difference, even if it doesn't feel like it. By the way, the people who make "just above" the qualifying levels wouldn't get much anyway, because the program is tiered. I know people who make "just below" the qualification and they receive about $30 a month in food stamps. So my statement still stands, if you don't qualify for food stamps then there is no reason why you can't afford your food. Obviously this doesn't apply if you have a family member with extreme medical expenses, but you didn't state that in your original post.

Quoting moneysaver6:

Oh dear. I do love it so when people make assumptions. Especially when they're so hilariously wrong.

I don't owe you any explanations, but I'm going to explain to help all of you understand where people like the OP are coming from.

See, there is this group of people who makes just above what it would take to qualify for assistance. Those people don't have anything paid for. Adding in insurance premiums alone can almost sink a family.

We were paying $1K/month in insurance premiums alone. Up until the "crisis", we had 2 cars that were paid off, no debt of any kind, & $20K in savings. Because of our savings goals, we fed our family of 5 on $200/month. We didn't have cable or fast internet. We lived frugally, but we didn't really struggle.

Within a year, we had sold both vehicles & purchased a high-mileage older van, we had exhausted our savings, it now cost $350/month (after insurance) just to feed & medicate our son (nevermind the rest of us). In addition to that, my son had at least weekly lab draws & doctor's visits...not including the frequent hospital stays or the blood transfusions that he needed. We ended that horrific year with over $42K in medical bill debt after having exhausted our every resource to pay what we could.

We made it through that year BECAUSE of my excellent money-management before we hit that crisis. We paid off those bills (finally) almost 8 years later & while continuing to manage his chronic illness & beginning the journey with mine BECAUSE of my excellent money-management.

So...next judgement attempt???

Quoting Anonymous:

If you didn't qualify for food stamps, there is no reason why you shouldn't have been able to afford pre-made bread and crackers. The food stamp program is very generous, it allows for some disposable income even, so if they determine that you make too much then you have PLENTY to eat off of. Your problem was that you were too dumb to manage your money properly. That isn't poor, that is stupid.

Quoting moneysaver6:

Sounds like you want that to be true. I'm sorry to disappoint you, though.

We were so poor that pre-made products & processed foods were a luxury that we couldn't afford. We didn't get food stamps or any government assistance. We didn't get the "luxury" of living off of Ramen noodles.

If we had bread or crackers, it was because we made them from scratch...from flour that we ground from whole grains. Because we had no other choice if we were to eat. Now THAT is poor.

We still eat that way today because we realized in the process how much healthier it was...but we have a choice now. HUGE difference from where we were.

Quoting Bluescorpia:

Sounds like someone never been poor
Quoting moneysaver6:
moneysaver6
by Platinum Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 4:37 AM

No, it doesn't make your point at all because it's not cheaper.  I have never seen even organic rice be as expensive as $3.50 for 1 lb.  Since you didn't answer before, I'll ask again...Are you in the Continental US?  I ask because a higher price like that would be expected in places like Hawaii or Alaska.

Quoting Anonymous:

Still makes my point . It's cheaper . 7 meals for a family of 5 or 4 meals for a family of 5 with rice and beans . May not be a meal but makes more people full
Quoting moneysaver6:

And ramen noodles isn't a "meal". Certainly one of them isn't. One package of those is equal to one serving for one person. You would need 5 of those packages for one meal for a family of 5.
Quoting Anonymous:

Where . Because a small bag here is 3.50. That will make maybe four cups . Then if you buy beans that like a 1.60. So with tax here your at about 6.00 for 4 meals . Not bad for one person .

Now ramen here is .15. So you can get 35 meals for 5.25 .
Quoting moneysaver6:

Again, I just don't get this when rice is cheaper & healthier.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 29, 2012 at 4:40 AM

How much do you get in food stamps?  For how many people?

Quoting Anonymous:

You know what! Go you. I've been on that boat. I have many mouths to feed and on food stamps. It doesn't cover through the mouth, so at the end of the month I am like that. Even if she makes too much for stamps. Bills and gas are expensive!!! Remember that.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 29, 2012 at 4:40 AM
Ya that does suck :-(
moneysaver6
by Platinum Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 5:27 AM

You bet.  Are you a Celiac or just gluten-intolerant?  Regardless, you want to go off of all potentially gluten products for 12 weeks first.  Then, you can introduce spelt.  Many celiacs & most who are just gluten-intolerant can have spelt without difficulty.  It used to be called a gluten-free grain, but lost that status because some Celiacs can't tolerate it. 

If you can, that's the easiest situation to adapt to. You simply substitute spelt flour anywhere you would use whole wheat flour.  You will need to utilize whole wheat recipes (substituting the spelt), though.  If you can use spelt, I would recommend adding gluten-free dough enhancers when making any rising dough product like bread or rolls.  The best gluten-free enhancers are vinegar & potato flakes.  I use both in all of my roll & bread recipes.  You use the same amount of vinegar if you use yeast.  (If you use 1 tsp of yeast in a recipe, then you'll use 1 tsp of vinegar.)  I put 1/4 potato flakes per batch of rolls & per loaf of bread in a recipe. (My favorite bread recipe, for Ezekial bread, makes 3 loaves of bread.  I use 3/4 cup of potato flakes in that recipe.)

If you can't use spelt, then you'll have to learn how to mix different flours (you usually use around 3) with xantham or guar gum.  When baking like this, precise measurements are VERY important.  Gluten-free baking isn't very forgiving at ALL.  One little measurement being off & it can ruin the whole recipe.  If the funds are available, then I recommend that you keep a couple of mixes on hand just in case a recipe fails and you NEED that item right away.  My favorite cake mix is made by Namaste.  The Betty Crocker gluten-free products are good too, but the Namaste remains my favorite cake mix.  Those who aren't gluten-free can't tell that it is.  

All Recipes does have a good selection of gluten-free recipes.  Here are some of my favorite gluten-free recipe sites besides All Recipes:

Feel free to message me at any time if you have any other questions.

Quoting Anonymous:

Could you give me some pointers. New to the No Gluten thing :(
Quoting moneysaver6:

Yes, because those with gluten allergies are talking about living off of processed, store-bought noodles & Ramen noodles.

Still, part way through our horrid year, our oldest was diagnosed with Celiac. Many Celiacs & those who are gluten-intolerant can handle spelt. In that case, they just substitute the wheat for spelt.

For those who can't tolerate spelt, they can grind beans, rices, tapioca, flax seed, & millet into flour. If someone is gluten-free & struggling, then they can't likely afford the store-bought mixes or pre-made products anyway. They'll have to learn how to combine the different flours with xantham or guar gum to make homemade products.

Quoting Anonymous:

What about those with a gluten allergy?
Quoting moneysaver6:
moneysaver6
by Platinum Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 5:29 AM

Most people have a blender which works fine for grinding grain.  If someone were to eventually get a grinder, they can get a manual one for as little as $20.

Quoting Anonymous:

This thread is very sad...but reading that made me giggle a little...that bitch is going a little far...like everyone has a grinder..if you cant afford rice, Im sure you cant afford a grinder..

Quoting Moneysaver6:
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured