Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

A 3 year old sitting like a baby?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My son is 3, almost 4 and I was chatting with another mom at his school today while I was waiting to pick my boy up. We continued our conversation and walked in to the parking lot together. I was parked right next to her! We kept talking while my son got in to his seat and her daughter got in to hers. But it was the weirdest thing. Her daughter was backwards in the seat, you know like how you put a baby in.

I've never seen this before is this because she has some sort of disability or something? I didn't want to be insensitive and ask the mom. Does anyone know what that could be?

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 28, 2012 at 10:39 PM
Replies (181-189):
Jenniy
by Platinum Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 5:41 PM

My youngest was rear facing until he hit the seat limit, he turned forward in September and turned 5 in October.

AmyG1976
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 5:50 PM

safer that way. AAP says kids  should remain backwards until at least 2 years and 30lbs or to the upper limits of the seat (now a days seats go backwards to at least 35lbs some 40 because it is safer) the law has not caught up to that yet it will its a matter of time before it goes to 2 and 30lbs, just like years ago boosters were not used past age 5 my dd was one that did but I knew 4 kids ages 5-8 that were killed from not being in one before the laws were what they are (one the dads fought to get them the laws as if it were he would know and his kid would be alive)  FAR safer sure all the reasons are in the post.

DestinyHLewis
by Gold Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 7:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Lovely. The woman asks an honest question and people feel the need to be assholes in their comments instead of just tell her what extended rear facing is. There are a lot of people who have never heard of it, and have not seen it. No need to be rude. Smh...

divinedimension
by Not Miss Cleo on Nov. 29, 2012 at 7:24 PM
Yes, and it often happens when the child is on the smaller side weight/height wise

Quoting Anonymous:

It's called extended rear facing.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LectioDivina
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 7:25 PM

mY dd is still rear facing and she's two...

outthere38
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 7:30 PM

i have never heard of this before, my youngest is 9 yrs old now, maybe its something new?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 35 on Nov. 29, 2012 at 7:34 PM
I never seen anther mother do it before.I am doing it until my DD is 2yrs old but people act like I am crazy lol
knkd
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 12:50 AM
1 mom liked this

My goodness people.  I look at these post and see all the hate and abuse.  The ignorant ones are the ones who are bashing the person who just asked a question.  I don't care if you think I am a 'good' parent for rear facing or forward facing my kids.  I also don't make my older kids wear helmets when riding their bikes in our neighborhood.  Here's the thing:  You have to let your children live life.  I'm pretty sure if I put my 2 year old in a rear facing seat, he'd scream horribly for hours on trips.  That my friends, is WAY more dangerous than him being forward facing.

here's the thing- what works for your family- may not work for mine...and vice versa.  But it disgusts me to see people being so rude... women and mothers should be building each other up, not tearing each other down.  

shame on the haters!

Tay06
by Silver Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Some parents choose to extended rearface in the car because they believe it is safer.  There are a ton of tests and studies being done on it now.  Different parenting magazines have arguments back and forth about it all the time as do doctors and child experts.  Most pediatrians as of a couple of years ago now recommend that you rear face until 2, but it is not the law.  The law states that you have to rearface until 1.  Personally, my son would scream at the top of his lungs until we switched him to his forward facing seat.  His little legs got cramped facing backward.  :(  He's small for his age (so was his father) so I waited and waited and waited and at 22 months he finally fit in his forward facing seat (2 lbs over and 2 inches over just in case) and I switched them out.  He LOVES car rides now and his pediatrican, who is pro extended rearfacing, said it is perfectly safe as long as he is correctly buckled in.   :)  But it is a personal decision.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)