Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

A 3 year old sitting like a baby?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My son is 3, almost 4 and I was chatting with another mom at his school today while I was waiting to pick my boy up. We continued our conversation and walked in to the parking lot together. I was parked right next to her! We kept talking while my son got in to his seat and her daughter got in to hers. But it was the weirdest thing. Her daughter was backwards in the seat, you know like how you put a baby in.

I've never seen this before is this because she has some sort of disability or something? I didn't want to be insensitive and ask the mom. Does anyone know what that could be?

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 28, 2012 at 10:39 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 28, 2012 at 10:54 PM

I don't think so. It was late winter because we bought the car seat around Christmas time, so he would have been right around a year old.

Quoting Anonymous:

Was he under a year old?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

When did you turn your kid(s) around, OP? Just curious.

I don't remember. When we got him a new seat, I think. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Nov. 28, 2012 at 10:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Don't their legs get a little to long for that? If you're in an accident they could easily break them or knew themselves in the face and cause a lot of damage too. I've never heard of anyone that age still rear facing...

Quoting Anonymous:

Lmao...how old are you? Its called extended rear facing. Its safer than forward facing.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Nov. 28, 2012 at 10:55 PM
Quoting Anonymous:

There are tons of posts on every topic imaginable that are solely created for te purpose of trolling.
Extended rear facing is keeping your child rear facing past the laws and mimimun guidelines. My own child is two. She rides rear facing as it is proven much safer.
Their necks are not as sturdy, to put it simply, as an older child's neck. They can become internally decapitated in the event of a collision if facing forward at a very young age.
When we wrecked our car, we hit a deer going 70mph. Our daughter was still rear facing at just over a year old and was sleeping, safely harnessed into her seat. She would have had at least neck pain and strain from the impact forcing her very limp body forward. Her head, arms, and legs would have been thrust forward, causing injury and possible death had she been facing forward. As it was she slept through it due to the force of the impact being spread over her shoulders and torso. She had no injuries.
It may seem silly but in the even of another collision, I rather her be safe and know she was fine after one suck wreck, than risk her having neck trauma and brain injury which could occur if she were to be facing forward.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 28, 2012 at 10:55 PM

thank you

Quoting imafuswb:

Ass. Why don't you take this opportunity to help the OP learn about something she (and MANY others) have never heard of instead of being a superior bitch and belittling her?

Quoting flcowgrl23:

Troll.

Quoting Anonymous:

Sorry. They didn't cover car seats in college. 

Quoting flcowgrl23:

Wow. Education is a beautiful thing.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting flcowgrl23:

A lot of moms rear face until 4 or even 5 depending on seat limitations. It's much safer than forward facing.

I don't understand

pittiesmom
by Silver Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 10:55 PM
My dd is 3 and has been front facing since she was a little over 1. I don't think she'd go back to being rear facing without a fight, especially since she just got a cool new high back booster seat with built in lights. I'll definitely think about keeping my now 3 month old dd rear facing longer than I did with my older dd though!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Nov. 28, 2012 at 10:55 PM
My 3 year old still rear faces. He is fine. Just small and safer that way.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 28, 2012 at 10:56 PM
No they fold their legs Indian style.

Quoting Anonymous:

Don't their legs get a little to long for that? If you're in an accident they could easily break them or knew themselves in the face and cause a lot of damage too. I've never heard of anyone that age still rear facing...

Quoting Anonymous:

Lmao...how old are you? Its called extended rear facing. Its safer than forward facing.
BShip2010
by Gold Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 10:56 PM

I haven't seen that but some people think it's safer so I'm sure they continue to do it

Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Nov. 28, 2012 at 10:56 PM
2 moms liked this
just a car seat nazi rear facing her kid until high school!!!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Nov. 28, 2012 at 10:56 PM
1 mom liked this

no, let me rephrase that. i dont agree that it is safer for them to be rear facing after a certain age. i think its safer for them to be forward facing.

Quoting Anonymous:

So keeping your child safe is ridiculous?

Quoting Anonymous:

yeah ive heard of people keeping their kids rear facing that long - they say as long as the restricts on the seat allow for it its safe. personally i think its alittle ridiculous.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)