Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Mom Leaves 2 Sons in 4Runner With Engine Running For 90 Minutes**More on pg 15, 19, 33, 35**NEW 12/4 pg 36**

Posted by   + Show Post
This happened where I live. So sad. :-(

Affidavit: Mom admits leaving kids in car

By Paul Shockley Wednesday, November 28, 2012

A Palisade mother admitted to a Mesa County sheriff’s

investigator she left her toddler sons alone in her Toyota 4Runner, with its engine running, for approximately 90 minutes Tuesday night near Powderhorn Mountain Resort while she met a man, according to records obtained by The Daily Sentinel.

At 6:31 p.m., 24-year-old Heather Jensen called 911, reporting her 2-year-old boy, William, was unconscious, not breathing and had no pulse, reads a search warrant affidavit signed by a Mesa County judge early Wednesday.

With emergency crews scrambling to respond Tuesday night, Jensen told dispatchers around 6:50 p.m. that her 4-year-old boy, Tyler, was breathing but “gurgling” with every breath, the affidavit said.

William was pronounced dead at the scene, while Tyler was flown to St. Mary’s Hospital before being transferred to Children’s Hospital in Denver. He remained in critical condition there through Wednesday.

The Mesa County Coroner’s Office as of Wednesday had not released the cause and manner of William’s death, while the Sheriff’s Department said little in the ongoing investigation.

According to the search warrant, Jensen told deputies in her initial statement at the scene she had taken her sons to play in the snow near the ski resort. When they finished, she said she put the boys back in their car seats and started her 4Runner.

“Heather stated she stood outside the vehicle, smoking a cigarette, and then spoke to a friend who happened to drive by,” an investigator wrote in the affidavit. “Heather said after about 10 minutes, she got in the vehicle and started driving home. She described hearing Tyler making gurgling noises within minutes of driving away.”

She said she pulled over, discovered William wasn’t breathing and called 911, while taking CPR instructions over the phone.

Jensen gave a different account of events in an interview late Tuesday at the Sheriff’s Department.

She said she contacted a “male friend” Tuesday afternoon and made arrangements to meet him near the ski resort, the affidavit said. They met while Jensen said she allowed her children to play in the snow, before she put them back in their car seats and started her engine.

She described “getting into the man’s truck,” which was parked next to her 4Runner.

“Heather admitted that she left her two sons alone in her 4Runner, with its engine running, for approximately 90 minutes before she returned to the vehicle and drove away,” the affidavit said.

Jensen denied using any narcotics or controlled substances, although she said she had a prescription for anti-depressant medication.

“Heather stated she previously had an addiction to pain medication but had not used any for about one year,” the affidavit said.

She told the investigator both children were wearing coats when they were outside playing and she took the coats off when they got back into the 4Runner because they were wet, the affidavit said.

An investigator wrote in the affidavit there was probable cause to believe the crime of child abuse resulting in death had been committed. The search warrant authorized the seizure of any articles of children’s clothing remaining in the 4Runner, in addition to prescriptions, empty prescription containers, controlled substances, pesticides, chemicals or poisons. A mechanical inspection also was authorized for the 4Runner’s exhaust and emission system, as well as testing for the presence of carbon monoxide.

The 4Runner was impounded Wednesday at the Sheriff’s Department.

The investigation comes in the wake of the death of Jensen’s husband, Eric, 26, who died in a two-car accident Oct. 10 in Garfield County.

Eric Jensen was driving north on Garfield County Road 319 around 6:26 a.m. on Oct. 10, when the Acura Integra he was driving was struck by a southbound Jeep Cherokee, driven by 37-year-old Justin Robinson of Rifle, according to the Colorado State Patrol. Robinson suffered non-threatening injuries.

Nobody else was in the vehicles. Troopers said speed may have contributed to the crash.

Heather Jensen had been serving a deferred judgment and probation stemming from a domestic violence arrest on March 13 in which Eric Jensen was the named victim, according to court records.

Eric Jensen told arresting Palisade police officers his wife had punched and bit him when he confronted her about hanging out with a woman “she receives medication from,” an arrest affidavit said. Eric Jensen told the officer she had taken Vicodin and Percocet in the past.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 9:39 AM
Replies (31-40):
702girly
by Gold Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 10:06 AM

It could definitely be something wrong with the cars.

I've sat in parked, running cars for hours. It shouldn't kill anyone or even make them sick.

I'm curious about what cause of death was in both cases.

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Did you read the above comment this happened to a little girl in OK too...

Maybe there is a defect in cars?

Quoting 702girly:

Yeah, I agree.

There's either something seriously wrong with the car or they died of something else entirely.

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

In order for this to be her fault there would have to be evidence of pipe stuffing. She would have had to stuff the tail pipe and run a hose from the tail pipe to the car windows...

But there would be clear evidence of that happening.

So it sounds like maybe there was something wrong with the car? Or maybe the kids were sick?

Quoting 702girly:

Yeah, I've put my son in the running car and stood next to it in the parking lot of stores chatting with people I ran into.

That shouldn't be fatal.

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Exactly...

I don't see how she kills. Her kids by leaving them in a parked car.

I've left my kids in the car when they were napping and we had arrived at our destination.

Like if we get to n grandparents house. Instead of waking sleeping kids I will leave them in it and stay outside with them.

Quoting 702girly:

Wait, so she was sitting in a truck parked right next to the car where her kids were the entire time?

I don't see how that's neglect if that's what really happened.

RollingStone
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 10:07 AM
They said she had a high core temperture.. she might have had a fever but probably not.. heaters get really hot.. ya know.. and if you're not there checking it the temp can rise fast.. he was 19.. now charged with manslaughter..

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

What?

Did she get over heated?

How king was she in the car? No evidence of foul play?

Quoting RollingStone:

There was an 18 moth old girl that died in Oklahoma a couple of weeks ago as well.. the dad was at the park.. outside with his friend while she was in the car.. it was 50° so he also had his heater running..

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
indyb
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 10:08 AM

They said they were at a ski resort,  it's possible that she could have backed up into a snow bank and enough carbon monoxide would have gotten in the car to kill them.  Although they will never be able to prove whether she did it on purpose or not if that's the case!

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

In order for this to be her fault there would have to be evidence of pipe stuffing. She would have had to stuff the tail pipe and run a hose from the tail pipe to the car windows...

So it sounds like maybe there was something wrong with the car? Or maybe the kids were sick?

Quoting 702girly:

Yeah, I've put my son in the running car and stood next to it in the parking lot of stores chatting with people I ran into.

That shouldn't be fatal.

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Exactly...

I've left my kids in the car when they were napping and we had arrived at our destination.

Like if we get to n grandparents house. Instead of waking sleeping kids I will leave them in it and stay outside with them.

Quoting 702girly:

Wait, so she was sitting in a truck parked right next to the car where her kids were the entire time?

Ms.Pteranodon
by Platinum Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 10:09 AM
1 mom liked this
That seems insane. That would be like charging someone for murder if they had a space heater in their kids bedroom.

Something is not adding up...

Quoting RollingStone:

They said she had a high core temperture.. she might have had a fever but probably not.. heaters get really hot.. ya know.. and if you're not there checking it the temp can rise fast.. he was 19.. now charged with manslaughter..

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

What?

Did she get over heated?

Quoting RollingStone:

There was an 18 moth old girl that died in Oklahoma a couple of weeks ago as well.. the dad was at the park.. outside with his friend while she was in the car.. it was 50° so he also had his heater running..

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heavenly1462
by Jessica on Nov. 29, 2012 at 10:09 AM
Yeah something definitely isn't right.

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Was her car not out in the open?

I thought it was only dangerous to leave a car running if it was enclosed in a garage or something...

I'm not saying that leaving your kids in the car for an hour and half is right, but something is not adding up
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
katiew2012
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Wow. In all of this sad story, all I could think was...

I know all of those places. I used to snowbard at Powderhorn. I know a man with Mesa County Sheriff's dept.

So sad. I wonder what the coroner will say.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Katie, proud wife of a railroader, and a future mother-to-be! 

I only reply if I've been quoted, or I happen to look and see a response. So, if you want to discuss with me, please quote me. :) Thank-you and good day!

Ms.Pteranodon
by Platinum Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 10:12 AM
Backing into a snow bank would t make sense either.. She would to have left the windows rolled down as had a direct link from the tail pipe into the car.

The car would have to be completely enclosed in a garage for it to happen.

Quoting indyb:

They said they were at a ski resort,  it's possible that she could have backed up into a snow bank and enough carbon monoxide would have gotten in the car to kill them.  Although they will never be able to prove whether she did it on purpose or not if that's the case!

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Quoting 702girly:

That shouldn't be fatal.

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Exactly...

Quoting 702girly:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RollingStone
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 10:13 AM
Nope.. and in the pic they have of him he looks heartbroken..

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

What?

Did she get over heated?

Quoting RollingStone:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TresHijas111825
by Bronze Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 10:13 AM
5 moms liked this

I'm not certain why don't see this as neglectful but let me present this scenario:

If you (general you) were in the same house but another room for a straight  1.5 hours while having sex with and/or doing drugs with a man and your children opened up the door/ turned on the stove/ drowned in the toilet-would that be considered neglect? Just because the vehicles were right next to each other doesn't mean she was caring for them. A  2 and 4 year old need constant supervision. 

Quoting 702girly:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 29, 2012 at 10:14 AM
1 mom liked this
This story jumps like crazy first about the kids then husband then domestic violence. I read they dod testing then bam its about the husband and nothing more on the test results or anything.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)