Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Small breeds good with kids? small edit

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Hey ladies,

I am considering another dog, but do not want a large or even medium size dog. I want one of those little lapwarmer dogs! lol I love Min Pins, but am interested in other suggestions. I currently have a 5 year old, and will be trying for #2 at some point (still considering). I do have a Pitbull, who is wonderful, so I am aware of the "alpha" mentality from day one with any dog.

So I guess I would be looking for something small...I'd say no more than 20 pounds, short hair, generally a good temperament (I know a lot of it is how the dog is raised, but not 100%), and something that can be calm at times (not bouncing every second of the day).

Not honestly sure whether I would do a breeder, rescue, or shelter.

Please share your suggestions, stories, and feel free to share pictures of your own! :)

edit: Hey ladies, thanks for all the replies! I am starting to look through them now. Sorry it took so long, the lsat few days have been busy busy. :)

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:07 PM
Replies (11-20):
LogansMommy0328
by Silver Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:19 PM
Ok I added a picture it's only his face but its the only pic I haveThey can be if they not exposed enough I've met other people with them and they were very skittish but my moms dogs think there big dogs and are very adventurous and playful the only concern I had was how tiny they are weight wise there just very skinny dogs they look just like the big greyhounds just smaller I think my moms dogs are about 15lbs or so I'm not completely sure. Let me see if I can post a picture of them
Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting LogansMommy0328:

My mom has 2 Italian gray hounds they loooove my kids there great with them. I will say though they are very fragile dogs so we had to teach our kids to be gentle with them.

Are these dogs constantly skittish/scared? Other family members have small dogs, so DD should be alright with any one. (supervised until I am sure of course lol)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Quoting armyvet06:

This is our dog. He is full chihuahua. Him and dd have been best friends since the day we brought her home from the hospital.

Aww! He's cute! Love his big eyes. Do you know if Chihuahuas are more of a product of how they are raised, or if it's mostly genetic?  A lot of the Chis I have encountered by me, are actually meaner than most of the Pits I've seen (which is saying something because unfortunately these people don't take very good care of the dogs :( )

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Dont get a min pin they are terrible dogs

LogansMommy0328
by Silver Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:20 PM

This is Apollo he's the more adventurous of the two but very sweet
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Ok. I'd love to see them :) Are they more of a chill-laid back dog, or more hyper, or a mix of both?

Quoting LogansMommy0328:

They can be if they not exposed enough I've met other people with them and they were very skittish but my moms dogs think there big dogs and are very adventurous and playful the only concern I had was how tiny they are weight wise there just very skinny dogs they look just like the big greyhounds just smaller I think my moms dogs are about 15lbs or so I'm not completely sure. Let me see if I can post a picture of them

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting LogansMommy0328:

My mom has 2 Italian gray hounds they loooove my kids there great with them. I will say though they are very fragile dogs so we had to teach our kids to be gentle with them.

Are these dogs constantly skittish/scared? Other family members have small dogs, so DD should be alright with any one. (supervised until I am sure of course lol)

garnet83
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting garnet83:

beagles. small, short hair, great personalities

Hmm...possibility. Are they able to be left alone without howling for...I'd say 4-6 hours (not everyday, just two days a week for sure)?

that shouldn't be a problem. they're typically not overly needy. but some of that is dependent on good training.

Danapopcorn
by AbbyCat on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Corgi or pug. Oh and beagles for sure. Cha-weenies are cute and good with kids, but they're pretty hyper. So if you have hyper kids, they can tire each other out.

mommysangelface
by Emerald Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:21 PM
Hahahahaha

These pain pills got me reading funny

I thought your title said "small breasts good with kids "

Oy
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
peacemom28
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Both of my dogs are awesome with my girls!!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Dont get a min pin they are terrible dogs

Is there a specific reason behind your opinion? Any dog can honestly be terrible if not raised properly. Genetic temperament does play it's part as well, but I thought Min Pins weren't too bad in that department 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)