Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Small breeds good with kids? small edit

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Hey ladies,

I am considering another dog, but do not want a large or even medium size dog. I want one of those little lapwarmer dogs! lol I love Min Pins, but am interested in other suggestions. I currently have a 5 year old, and will be trying for #2 at some point (still considering). I do have a Pitbull, who is wonderful, so I am aware of the "alpha" mentality from day one with any dog.

So I guess I would be looking for something small...I'd say no more than 20 pounds, short hair, generally a good temperament (I know a lot of it is how the dog is raised, but not 100%), and something that can be calm at times (not bouncing every second of the day).

Not honestly sure whether I would do a breeder, rescue, or shelter.

Please share your suggestions, stories, and feel free to share pictures of your own! :)

edit: Hey ladies, thanks for all the replies! I am starting to look through them now. Sorry it took so long, the lsat few days have been busy busy. :)

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:07 PM
Replies (81-90):
erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:48 PM
Exactly mine does GREAT wirh small its large she has issues wirh.

OP many of my rescue friends have either Boston's or Chiquawa with their Pitties. For dome reason the seem to mesh well if yours accepts small dogs

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Melissa_4:

Good luck getting a small dog when you have a pit group dog.  I can tell you as the owner of three Staffordshires that they do not get along well with little dogs.  THey think they are a snack.

Depends on the dog. I've had a Chihuahua in my home already, and after being interested in the the first day, she didn't really care. (it was a stray I kept until the owner came)

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Huh....I may have to do further research about Min Pins as you are not the only one who has said this. And I agree.....Pitties are the best dog ever :) If only they came in toy size....lol

Quoting kevinzwifey:

I had a min pin as a kid, I got him for my b-day, he was a pup when we got him and he became so mean I had to find and adult woman to take him... My best dogs were a corgi mix, pugs, and pitbulls but youre not looking for another one of those..lol..but seriously, mutts are the best and pugs  are amazing and sturdy! I have american bullies(from pitbulls) and owned several pitbulls in the past, most amazing dogs ever! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Beagles are fantastic. She is protective of the house and only barks when she feels it is threatened. She doesn't howl. She has the sweetest temperament. I always swore I would never own an animal but she is amazing.
alyssaravensmom
by Platinum Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:49 PM
My pomeranians are good with my daughter.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Christie825
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:49 PM
1 mom liked this

French Bull Dogs are great

jellybeanjean
by Gold Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:49 PM

I have a Peke...she gets along well with my DD, but she is really really suspicious of outsiders. They are stubborn and willful dogs, but loyal to owners.

Anyway i vote pug. They have wonderful bubbly personalities....like kids!

Quoting she_walk_softly:

Shish Tzu is not short hair but very funny and kid sweet.Most Chinese/Japanese bred lap dogs have wonderful light hearted,easy going temperament.Pekenese can be a bit tougher.Min pin can be bossy and tough too.

KyrinM
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:50 PM
Quoting garnet83:

beagles. small, short hair, great personalities

Downside to Beagles, very needy, don't do well if left alone & they howl & bark a lot. If you have close neighbors, I would not suggest this breed. Personality wise they are great, but the noise factor is a problem. I used to work as a vet assistant, I can't tell you how many people with that breed dog who came in begging our vet to debark them. He wouldn't, but that isn't the point.
Maks1mommy
by Ruby Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:50 PM

This is dib, he's a Pom-chi, he's about three years old and is seriously the best dog I've ever had in my life. He has more patience than I do sometimes lol. He does has severe separation anxiety though, if I leave he freaks.
All dogs are different and none completely conform to breed standards, it's all about how they're raised.
You know that, you've got a Pitt.

I would suggest a beagle or a mini schnauzer, both sturdy and friendly type dogs.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KyrinM
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:51 PM
Quoting Anonymous:

Beagles are fantastic. She is protective of the house and only barks when she feels it is threatened. She doesn't howl. She has the sweetest temperament. I always swore I would never own an animal but she is amazing.
You lucked out, your Beagle is an exception, most are insane crazy when left at home alone.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Quoting Devious333:

Mini or toy aussies. Trust me, you can't go wrong.

I thought all Aussies were super-hyper?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)