Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Small breeds good with kids? small edit

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 275 Replies

Hey ladies,

I am considering another dog, but do not want a large or even medium size dog. I want one of those little lapwarmer dogs! lol I love Min Pins, but am interested in other suggestions. I currently have a 5 year old, and will be trying for #2 at some point (still considering). I do have a Pitbull, who is wonderful, so I am aware of the "alpha" mentality from day one with any dog.

So I guess I would be looking for something small...I'd say no more than 20 pounds, short hair, generally a good temperament (I know a lot of it is how the dog is raised, but not 100%), and something that can be calm at times (not bouncing every second of the day).

Not honestly sure whether I would do a breeder, rescue, or shelter.

Please share your suggestions, stories, and feel free to share pictures of your own! :)

edit: Hey ladies, thanks for all the replies! I am starting to look through them now. Sorry it took so long, the lsat few days have been busy busy. :)

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Redwoods_Mama
by Platinum Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Go pick a nice, sturdy, mellow pup form the shelter.  Seriously.  Ours has some real gems.

garnet83
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:08 PM
2 moms liked this

beagles. small, short hair, great personalities

Redwoods_Mama
by Platinum Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:09 PM
1 mom liked this

BTW, I love pitties, but they often are dog aggressive, and can kill a little dog so fast.  I would take my pitt to a trainer for some troubleshooting before bringing home another dog/squeaky toy. 

LogansMommy0328
by Silver Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:10 PM
My mom has 2 Italian gray hounds they loooove my kids there great with them. I will say though they are very fragile dogs so we had to teach our kids to be gentle with them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
toopicky429
by Silver Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:11 PM
1 mom liked this

My sister has a miniature Schnauzer. He is very good with kids, but I can't stand him. I prefer giant breeds. We have 2 Great Danes, and they are amazing with kids.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Quoting Redwoods_Mama:

BTW, I love pitties, but they often are dog aggressive, and can kill a little dog so fast.  I would take my pitt to a trainer for some troubleshooting before bringing home another dog/squeaky toy. 

Yep, I know. But I actually found a Chihuahua before and kept it at my house for about 3 days, and she was fine with it. In any case she will be going to training classes starting in December or January, just to make sure there won't be any issues.

armyvet06
by Gold Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:12 PM

This is our dog. He is full chihuahua. Him and dd have been best friends since the day we brought her home from the hospital.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Quoting LogansMommy0328:

My mom has 2 Italian gray hounds they loooove my kids there great with them. I will say though they are very fragile dogs so we had to teach our kids to be gentle with them.

Are these dogs constantly skittish/scared? Other family members have small dogs, so DD should be alright with any one. (supervised until I am sure of course lol)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Quoting garnet83:

beagles. small, short hair, great personalities

Hmm...possibility. Are they able to be left alone without howling for...I'd say 4-6 hours (not everyday, just two days a week for sure)?

ohbamitsans
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:18 PM
I love miniature pinchures they are so damn cute when I move out of here I'm definitely going to get me one :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN