Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Small breeds good with kids? small edit

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Hey ladies,

I am considering another dog, but do not want a large or even medium size dog. I want one of those little lapwarmer dogs! lol I love Min Pins, but am interested in other suggestions. I currently have a 5 year old, and will be trying for #2 at some point (still considering). I do have a Pitbull, who is wonderful, so I am aware of the "alpha" mentality from day one with any dog.

So I guess I would be looking for something small...I'd say no more than 20 pounds, short hair, generally a good temperament (I know a lot of it is how the dog is raised, but not 100%), and something that can be calm at times (not bouncing every second of the day).

Not honestly sure whether I would do a breeder, rescue, or shelter.

Please share your suggestions, stories, and feel free to share pictures of your own! :)

edit: Hey ladies, thanks for all the replies! I am starting to look through them now. Sorry it took so long, the lsat few days have been busy busy. :)

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:07 PM
Replies (101-110):
alyssaravensmom
by Platinum Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:57 PM
They are even good with my cats :). I'll post a pic

Quoting Anonymous:

All the ones I've met we're scary little bastards!

Quoting alyssaravensmom:

It depends on if they are trained. They are hyper, but excellent with her and my niece and nephew.

Quoting Anonymous:

Omg no. Poms are awful. I wouldn't trust one with kids.

Quoting alyssaravensmom:

My pomeranians are good with my daughter.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elzingah36
by Gold Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:57 PM
As I'm a firm believer of animals acting out because of their owners and whatnot,but the many friends I have I've noticed some major similarities in these types of dogs actions. Your probably right though,our Jasmine is a rescue. I rescued her from my parents because my dad(pos) was physically abusing this poor dog quite badly. I'm not really sure exactly how my mom "raised" her,they had her since she was a 6 weeks old. When I took her(stole her literally in the middle of the night) she's been attached to me from hip from day one.
I just didn't want OP'S child or future children hurt is all.

Quoting Anonymous:

Does that mentality have more to do with genetics or the way they are raised ?

Quoting elzingah36:

I have a 1 1/2 yr.old Yorkshire Terrier /Dachshund mix female. As sge is adorable as can be and a hoot to be around,she's very territorial and a one woman dog. She gets along with the kids pretty well for the most part but she's definitely been known to nip and growl at them because they've gotten to close to me and "our chair"(we share a recliner). My kids are 20,16,15&12. I personally believe you'd be a lot better off getting a beagle possibly. They're still pretty small but yet don't have the "it's all about me" attitude like the little "lap dogs". Just want you to know that the little "lap dogs" can be very selfish and territorial.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alyssaravensmom
by Platinum Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:58 PM

My poms and my kitty
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommeeTo4
by &1more on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Pugs are awesome.

They are small but not too small and are a sturdy small breed.
Pugs are very affectionate, and are huge clowns and are funny dogs.
They do snort, snore, and shed some.
They are loyal and loving.
My pug is best buddies with my 23m old, he lets her sleep on him and will cuddle with her whenever he can.

Pugs are really awesome with kids.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
IndescribableMa
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:58 PM

It varies. She may get to 5 lbs, but will most likely stay at this weight. Both her parents were little as well. We get her groomed about every 8 weeks or so, just depends on how busy we get. She gets clipped when groomed. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting IndescribableMa:

We have a 1 year old toy poodle, she weighs about 4 lbs and is definitely a lap dog lol. We got her when she was 2 months old. She's adorable and great with our son!

Wow that's tiny! What do toys max out at for weight? How often do you have to groom/clip her?

lovinmykiddo07
by Ruby Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:59 PM
Boston Terriers are pretty awesome little dogs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kevinzwifey
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:59 PM

OK HOW BOUT A BUNNY BULL?  lol

Ealane2011
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Ealane2011:

I have a pitbull as well. He gets along great with Jack Russells. I wouldn't suggest one though. Unless you can handle a VERY hyper animal, lol.

Yea.....my mom's friend growing up bred them....they were like..psycho-hyper lol Great for wearing us kids out, but I could not do that in my house

Tell me about it... My mother breeds them. She has 7, plus a liter or two at a time :( Nutcase dogs!

kevinzwifey
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 4:00 PM
1 mom liked this

pugs are wonderful dogs,I had one named Minnie mouse when I was a kid and I was heart broken when she died of old age!!

Quoting MommeeTo4:

Pugs are awesome.

They are small but not too small and are a sturdy small breed.
Pugs are very affectionate, and are huge clowns and are funny dogs.
They do snort, snore, and shed some.
They are loyal and loving.
My pug is best buddies with my 23m old, he lets her sleep on him and will cuddle with her whenever he can.

Pugs are really awesome with kids.

monshine2
by Silver Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Our chihuahua is such a lover boy who loves to cuddle but he also has little mans syndrome so he can be a real PITA and barks at everything.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured