Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Small breeds good with kids? small edit

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Hey ladies,

I am considering another dog, but do not want a large or even medium size dog. I want one of those little lapwarmer dogs! lol I love Min Pins, but am interested in other suggestions. I currently have a 5 year old, and will be trying for #2 at some point (still considering). I do have a Pitbull, who is wonderful, so I am aware of the "alpha" mentality from day one with any dog.

So I guess I would be looking for something small...I'd say no more than 20 pounds, short hair, generally a good temperament (I know a lot of it is how the dog is raised, but not 100%), and something that can be calm at times (not bouncing every second of the day).

Not honestly sure whether I would do a breeder, rescue, or shelter.

Please share your suggestions, stories, and feel free to share pictures of your own! :)

edit: Hey ladies, thanks for all the replies! I am starting to look through them now. Sorry it took so long, the lsat few days have been busy busy. :)

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:07 PM
Replies (271-275):
armstrong7984
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 4:42 PM

ill tell u this from working at the grooming salon, doing pugs nails are a nightmare, no other breed of dog was more difficult..they would get soo stressed out it was insane.

Quoting Anonymous:

I actually saw quite a few posts about pugs, so I apologize yours were not directly quoted. Pugs are a possibility, but not one of my personal favs. They are great dogs, and my ex's mom had one, but idk, not really my cup of tea. :)

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted a few things about them, and they were never quoted.

Probably just overlooked.
No biggie lol

But they are awesome dogs

Quoting Anonymous:

Really? And where do you get that from?

Quoting Anonymous:

I think you hate pugs

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 3, 2012 at 5:06 PM

You sound like me :) lol But thanks. Obedience training is a must in any case

Quoting smurfbitebug:

She has a great temperament. She is sweet. Feisty... like active and a little mischevious.. but she is a puppy. She also hops like a tiny little deer. Pretty cute. I'm sure you would have to put some time in teaching it not to jump up, because they jump really high... (hint: countertop height) but as far as temperament I have no complaints about that dog. And I am picky. I strongly dislike nervous dogs, dogs that get overexcited, and dogs that have any jealousy or aggression issues.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting smurfbitebug:

Hmm. My mother has a little min pin, and while I am not that big a fan of small dogs, that one is not bad. She is good with kids, which was surprising to me. She either plays well with my daughter or successfully stays clear of her. I guess due to her size she can hide better lol
But all in all not a bad little dog.

Thanks! Really starting to think most people don't like these dogs because they weren't trained right, not because of the temperament of the dog.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 16 on Dec. 3, 2012 at 5:52 PM

If you are most concerned about temperament, you should investigate the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. They are known for their sweetness. Some hereditary cardiac problems in the breed, though. Pugs are often great family dogs, but some can be difficult to housebreak. They are the comedians of the dog world; I have never met one I didn't like! I have seen Italian Greyhounds in this thread; nice dogs, but very fragile, and can break those long legs very easily. Probably best for older children. Good luck.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 17 on Dec. 3, 2012 at 6:24 PM
A pomeridian (sp?)
They were big dogs but were breed down to the size they are now. They have the big dog personalities instead of the ankle bitter personalities.
Maevelyn
by Gold Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Exactly, people don't understand that when you train a dog in basic commands, sit, stay, walking on a leash, you aren't just teaching them those tricks (I hear all the time "My dog is so small I don't care is she pulls" or "He's so little, I don't need him to sit." You are teaching them to deny their impulses and look to you for direction. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Training is a given in my house. I will not allow a dog run my house. Was just wondering whether small breeds are genetically more inclined to that particular thinking, or if is because (as you stated) they are spoiled first and trained second. Through the replies on here, I am seeing the answer. Because they are small and cute, they are spoiled, then become a problem people try to train. So if it is done right to begin with, there shouldn't be an issue.

Quoting Maevelyn:

You have to train them. They tend to be oriented toward one person when they aren't trained well that turns into agressiveness. They aren't a dog you can spoil first and train second. In my experience (grooming) the problems people run into are because the don't train them at all and let them run the house. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting armyvet06:

This is our dog. He is full chihuahua. Him and dd have been best friends since the day we brought her home from the hospital.

Aww! He's cute! Love his big eyes. Do you know if Chihuahuas are more of a product of how they are raised, or if it's mostly genetic?  A lot of the Chis I have encountered by me, are actually meaner than most of the Pits I've seen (which is saying something because unfortunately these people don't take very good care of the dogs :( )

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN