Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Small breeds good with kids? small edit

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Hey ladies,

I am considering another dog, but do not want a large or even medium size dog. I want one of those little lapwarmer dogs! lol I love Min Pins, but am interested in other suggestions. I currently have a 5 year old, and will be trying for #2 at some point (still considering). I do have a Pitbull, who is wonderful, so I am aware of the "alpha" mentality from day one with any dog.

So I guess I would be looking for something small...I'd say no more than 20 pounds, short hair, generally a good temperament (I know a lot of it is how the dog is raised, but not 100%), and something that can be calm at times (not bouncing every second of the day).

Not honestly sure whether I would do a breeder, rescue, or shelter.

Please share your suggestions, stories, and feel free to share pictures of your own! :)

edit: Hey ladies, thanks for all the replies! I am starting to look through them now. Sorry it took so long, the lsat few days have been busy busy. :)

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:07 PM
Replies (61-70):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Quoting she_walk_softly:

Shish Tzu is not short hair but very funny and kid sweet.Most Chinese/Japanese bred lap dogs have wonderful light hearted,easy going temperament.Pekenese can be a bit tougher.Min pin can be bossy and tough too.

Pekes just look funny lol with their smushed up noses...poor things lol    Shi Tzus...maybe...not a real fan of the hair though. My ex's mom has one, but I think she is mixed with something. She is tiny

Devious333
by Ruby Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:39 PM
Mini or toy aussies. Trust me, you can't go wrong.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Maevelyn
by Gold Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:40 PM

pugs are good with kids and they have a thicker build so they aren't as suspetable to injuries from drops or rough handling. (we had a customer get ride of their toy poodle puppy because the kids took it up to the top of the bunk bed and let it jump off.) They can keep up with kids better than other toy breeds. Cavelier King Charles Spaniels are nice, sweet with kids and more on the sturdy side but prone to heart problems so good breeding is important. Westies are probably at the top of your weight range (and will tip it if over fed) they are feisty but still cuddly and would probably enjoy playing with your kids and your pit (cairn terriers are basically the same in size and temperment, they just aren't white. A long time ago they were one breed.) I had a toy fox terrier, who was great with kids but the breed is really too delicate for 90% of kids that small their little bones snap like twigs. A miniature poodle would fall into your weight range and they are fun dogs (better than toys IMO but with poodles the bigger the better.)

TallChic
by Stacey on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Shih Tzus are awesome family pets.. We have 4

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Ok, thanks. That's what I would be looking for out of any dog, of any size. Any dog I get will be trained to deal with being pulled on, etc by me, but the kids will also be taught not to do it.

Quoting armyvet06:

In my opinion, its a mix between their nature and the way they are raised. Ours has always been gentle. When shr tries to pull on him or hit him, he will take it or go lay in his bed. He has never once tried to bite her.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting armyvet06:

This is our dog. He is full chihuahua. Him and dd have been best friends since the day we brought her home from the hospital.

Aww! He's cute! Love his big eyes. Do you know if Chihuahuas are more of a product of how they are raised, or if it's mostly genetic?  A lot of the Chis I have encountered by me, are actually meaner than most of the Pits I've seen (which is saying something because unfortunately these people don't take very good care of the dogs :( )

Danapopcorn
by AbbyCat on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:42 PM

I'm not sure, I've never had one personally, but they are short haired, playful but laid back, and SO cute. If you can make the investment, if you get a shedding breed, the furminator is GREAT.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Danapopcorn:

Corgi or pug. Oh and beagles for sure. Cha-weenies are cute and good with kids, but they're pretty hyper. So if you have hyper kids, they can tire each other out.

Are corgis big shedders?

Redwoods_Mama
by Platinum Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:42 PM

*sigh*  I would refute, but I get the idea you are just spoiling for a fight. 

But of course, you are the only person to have ever owned the breed, so you know everything there could ever be to possibly know in any situation.  I should bow to your superior wisdom and go sit in the corner. 

Just sayin.  You rude little twat.  LMAO

Quoting kevinzwifey:

Not true, any dog can be dog aggressive, I have 6 bully pitbulls and they will get backed down by a chihuahua, and they have been, I have a 90lb male that will share his food with a cat and he loves puppies and small dogs and knows exactly how to play with them! and if you are spelling Pitbull with2 T's its obvious u have no clue what you are talking about!  Just sayin!

Quoting Redwoods_Mama:

BTW, I love pitties, but they often are dog aggressive, and can kill a little dog so fast.  I would take my pitt to a trainer for some troubleshooting before bringing home another dog/squeaky toy. 

smalltownmom03
by Platinum Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:42 PM
Im not anon but reading your op i was also thinking that you don't really want a min pin. I like min pins but they are to much for some people to handle. They are very hyper and literally jump around the house all day. The only time they are calm is when they are sleeping. (Think puppy on speed) they are also difficult to train. House training is really a pain. Also they are extremely small as puppies so it is advised not to get one if you have small children because they could accidentally hurt the pup. Please do lots of research on the breed before you buy.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Dont get a min pin they are terrible dogs

Is there a specific reason behind your opinion? Any dog can honestly be terrible if not raised properly. Genetic temperament does play it's part as well, but I thought Min Pins weren't too bad in that department 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kevinzwifey
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Sounds like you need to get some training if your dogs think small things are snacks, I have 6 american bullies and have had several pits and 1 staffordshire bull terrier and never any issues, only 1 out of all of them has been dog aggressive..

Quoting Melissa_4:

Good luck getting a small dog when you have a pit group dog.  I can tell you as the owner of three Staffordshires that they do not get along well with little dogs.  THey think they are a snack.

Devious333
by Ruby Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:42 PM
Yes, they are.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Danapopcorn:

Corgi or pug. Oh and beagles for sure. Cha-weenies are cute and good with kids, but they're pretty hyper. So if you have hyper kids, they can tire each other out.

Are corgis big shedders?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)