Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Small breeds good with kids? small edit

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Hey ladies,

I am considering another dog, but do not want a large or even medium size dog. I want one of those little lapwarmer dogs! lol I love Min Pins, but am interested in other suggestions. I currently have a 5 year old, and will be trying for #2 at some point (still considering). I do have a Pitbull, who is wonderful, so I am aware of the "alpha" mentality from day one with any dog.

So I guess I would be looking for something small...I'd say no more than 20 pounds, short hair, generally a good temperament (I know a lot of it is how the dog is raised, but not 100%), and something that can be calm at times (not bouncing every second of the day).

Not honestly sure whether I would do a breeder, rescue, or shelter.

Please share your suggestions, stories, and feel free to share pictures of your own! :)

edit: Hey ladies, thanks for all the replies! I am starting to look through them now. Sorry it took so long, the lsat few days have been busy busy. :)

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:07 PM
Replies (71-80):
taylamill
by Tayla on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:43 PM
Depends on the dog itself. Isis needs it about very three months but I also do some of it myself to save on money. She doesn't have the real curly hair. Hers is curly with waves. So she tends to need trimmed every so often. Also I brush her out once a week. The one I had before her was my baby ginger. Had her since I was a little girl. She had short curls and went every four months maybe six. So it really just depends on the dog.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting taylamill:

We have poodles. They don't shed and are great lap dogs. My Isis is currently in my lap asleep.

How often do poodles need to be groomed?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Quoting Melissa_4:

Good luck getting a small dog when you have a pit group dog.  I can tell you as the owner of three Staffordshires that they do not get along well with little dogs.  THey think they are a snack.

Depends on the dog. I've had a Chihuahua in my home already, and after being interested in the the first day, she didn't really care. (it was a stray I kept until the owner came)

erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:44 PM
Actually it is true about Pitties. BTW if that spelling bugs you tough shit. I work in rescue and while not all are dog aggressive many are particular. Meaning they will get along with smaller or larger or female or male or alpha or submissive but not all. Denying the truth is a deservice to the breed and is one reason so many end up in shelters. That's like saying it is nit true that labs like water.
My female lives with 3 cats a preschooler..birds..and does well with small fogs but if you get her near a same size or bigger dog she will try and kill them

Quoting kevinzwifey:

Not true, any dog can be dog aggressive, I have 6 bully pitbulls and they will get backed down by a chihuahua, and they have been, I have a 90lb male that will share his food with a cat and he loves puppies and small dogs and knows exactly how to play with them! and if you are spelling Pitbull with2 T's its obvious u have no clue what you are talking about!  Just sayin!

Quoting Redwoods_Mama:

BTW, I love pitties, but they often are dog aggressive, and can kill a little dog so fast.  I would take my pitt to a trainer for some troubleshooting before bringing home another dog/squeaky toy. 

MommeeTo4
by &1more on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:44 PM
3 moms liked this

A pug
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Quoting IndescribableMa:

We have a 1 year old toy poodle, she weighs about 4 lbs and is definitely a lap dog lol. We got her when she was 2 months old. She's adorable and great with our son!

Wow that's tiny! What do toys max out at for weight? How often do you have to groom/clip her?

toopicky429
by Silver Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:45 PM
He is yippy, lol. He does not shed, and they have hair instead of fur so they tend to be better for people with allergies.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting toopicky429:

My sister has a miniature Schnauzer. He is very good with kids, but I can't stand him. I prefer giant breeds. We have 2 Great Danes, and they are amazing with kids.

Is there a reason you can't stand him? lol And do those actually shed?     I am a fan of larger breeds as well, but it would not work in our apartment :)

kevinzwifey
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I did not quote the whole pit breed as you did, I stated what you said was untrue, pitbulls are not automatically dog aggressive,some are and some aren't just like all other dogs, and no im not looking for a fight,But I am a pitbull advocate and if someone is stating untrue facts that make other continue to look down on the breed, yes I WILL correct them.. Sorry to have offend a LADY of such class.. Rude little twat..lol...I love that, Thank you sweetheart..

Quoting Redwoods_Mama:

*sigh*  I would refute, but I get the idea you are just spoiling for a fight. 

But of course, you are the only person to have ever owned the breed, so you know everything there could ever be to possibly know in any situation.  I should bow to your superior wisdom and go sit in the corner. 

Just sayin.  You rude little twat.  LMAO

Quoting kevinzwifey:

Not true, any dog can be dog aggressive, I have 6 bully pitbulls and they will get backed down by a chihuahua, and they have been, I have a 90lb male that will share his food with a cat and he loves puppies and small dogs and knows exactly how to play with them! and if you are spelling Pitbull with2 T's its obvious u have no clue what you are talking about!  Just sayin!

Quoting Redwoods_Mama:

BTW, I love pitties, but they often are dog aggressive, and can kill a little dog so fast.  I would take my pitt to a trainer for some troubleshooting before bringing home another dog/squeaky toy. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Does that mentality have more to do with genetics or the way they are raised ?

Quoting elzingah36:

I have a 1 1/2 yr.old Yorkshire Terrier /Dachshund mix female. As sge is adorable as can be and a hoot to be around,she's very territorial and a one woman dog. She gets along with the kids pretty well for the most part but she's definitely been known to nip and growl at them because they've gotten to close to me and "our chair"(we share a recliner). My kids are 20,16,15&12. I personally believe you'd be a lot better off getting a beagle possibly. They're still pretty small but yet don't have the "it's all about me" attitude like the little "lap dogs". Just want you to know that the little "lap dogs" can be very selfish and territorial.

SuperPickle
by Gold Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:47 PM

I have a jack russel, chihuahua shih tzu mix. He  is awesome....

also this is my beagle border collie mix. I know someone had mentioned a beagle, he is about 30lbs....beware, they are shedders though!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Be careful with the pit. I'm a dog lover and love pits but they can be dog aggressive. Especially if its 2 females.

I have a mini schnauzer. She barks a lot but doesn't shed and is great with kids.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN