Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Small breeds good with kids? small edit

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Hey ladies,

I am considering another dog, but do not want a large or even medium size dog. I want one of those little lapwarmer dogs! lol I love Min Pins, but am interested in other suggestions. I currently have a 5 year old, and will be trying for #2 at some point (still considering). I do have a Pitbull, who is wonderful, so I am aware of the "alpha" mentality from day one with any dog.

So I guess I would be looking for something small...I'd say no more than 20 pounds, short hair, generally a good temperament (I know a lot of it is how the dog is raised, but not 100%), and something that can be calm at times (not bouncing every second of the day).

Not honestly sure whether I would do a breeder, rescue, or shelter.

Please share your suggestions, stories, and feel free to share pictures of your own! :)

edit: Hey ladies, thanks for all the replies! I am starting to look through them now. Sorry it took so long, the lsat few days have been busy busy. :)

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:07 PM
Replies (91-100):
armyvet06
by Gold Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:52 PM
We are still trying to teach dd to be nice to him since she is only 2 and for the most part she is. He has never been trained to deal with the "rough love" as i call it, he just naturally does it. He knows he is little and knows if he did anything that he could easily get his butt whooped.

Quoting Anonymous:

Ok, thanks. That's what I would be looking for out of any dog, of any size. Any dog I get will be trained to deal with being pulled on, etc by me, but the kids will also be taught not to do it.

Quoting armyvet06:

In my opinion, its a mix between their nature and the way they are raised. Ours has always been gentle. When shr tries to pull on him or hit him, he will take it or go lay in his bed. He has never once tried to bite her.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting armyvet06:

This is our dog. He is full chihuahua. Him and dd have been best friends since the day we brought her home from the hospital.

Aww! He's cute! Love his big eyes. Do you know if Chihuahuas are more of a product of how they are raised, or if it's mostly genetic?  A lot of the Chis I have encountered by me, are actually meaner than most of the Pits I've seen (which is saying something because unfortunately these people don't take very good care of the dogs :( )

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:52 PM
Actually it is true.

Quoting kevinzwifey:

Not true, any dog can be dog aggressive, I have 6 bully pitbulls and they will get backed down by a chihuahua, and they have been, I have a 90lb male that will share his food with a cat and he loves puppies and small dogs and knows exactly how to play with them! and if you are spelling Pitbull with2 T's its obvious u have no clue what you are talking about!  Just sayin!

Quoting Redwoods_Mama:

BTW, I love pitties, but they often are dog aggressive, and can kill a little dog so fast.  I would take my pitt to a trainer for some troubleshooting before bringing home another dog/squeaky toy. 

kevinzwifey
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Thanks for stating you knowledge, But research outside of a rescue where most fighting dogs and abused dogs end up, I have been showing dogs of pitbull and bullie breeds for a while now, and Havent expeirenced dog aggression, Like I said in another post, only one time with a RESCUE dog, Most of the people I know who work with these dogs havent had any issues with these dogs..Just beacuse you work in a rescue doesnt make you facts straight, and most probably say mine are not as well, but untilyou work with more than just the abused and neglected dont get all high and mighty knowing it all...

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Actually it is true about Pitties. BTW if that spelling bugs you tough shit. I work in rescue and while not all are dog aggressive many are particular. Meaning they will get along with smaller or larger or female or male or alpha or submissive but not all. Denying the truth is a deservice to the breed and is one reason so many end up in shelters. That's like saying it is nit true that labs like water.
My female lives with 3 cats a preschooler..birds..and does well with small fogs but if you get her near a same size or bigger dog she will try and kill them

Quoting kevinzwifey:

Not true, any dog can be dog aggressive, I have 6 bully pitbulls and they will get backed down by a chihuahua, and they have been, I have a 90lb male that will share his food with a cat and he loves puppies and small dogs and knows exactly how to play with them! and if you are spelling Pitbull with2 T's its obvious u have no clue what you are talking about!  Just sayin!

Quoting Redwoods_Mama:

BTW, I love pitties, but they often are dog aggressive, and can kill a little dog so fast.  I would take my pitt to a trainer for some troubleshooting before bringing home another dog/squeaky toy. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:53 PM
Omg no. Poms are awful. I wouldn't trust one with kids.

Quoting alyssaravensmom:

My pomeranians are good with my daughter.
kevinzwifey
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Yeah my min pin was great with me but I have a brother and 2 sisters and he was not so fond of everyone else..lol...  If you like Pitbulls but want something small, Check out Shorty Bulls or french bulldogs, both amazing dogs and very sturdy for kids...

Quoting Anonymous:

Huh....I may have to do further research about Min Pins as you are not the only one who has said this. And I agree.....Pitties are the best dog ever :) If only they came in toy size....lol

Quoting kevinzwifey:

I had a min pin as a kid, I got him for my b-day, he was a pup when we got him and he became so mean I had to find and adult woman to take him... My best dogs were a corgi mix, pugs, and pitbulls but youre not looking for another one of those..lol..but seriously, mutts are the best and pugs  are amazing and sturdy! I have american bullies(from pitbulls) and owned several pitbulls in the past, most amazing dogs ever! 

alyssaravensmom
by Platinum Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:55 PM
It depends on if they are trained. They are hyper, but excellent with her and my niece and nephew.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting alyssaravensmom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ItsJustKell
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Someone mentioned Corgi or Pug.  I love them both.  I have a little Corgi-X that has always been wonderful with my daughter from day one. And Corgi's are more sturdy than the teacup dogs, and they don't have a yappy bark. 

kevinzwifey
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Frenchies are GREAT! I love them!

Quoting Christie825:

French Bull Dogs are great

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:56 PM
All the ones I've met we're scary little bastards!

Quoting alyssaravensmom:

It depends on if they are trained. They are hyper, but excellent with her and my niece and nephew.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting alyssaravensmom:

elzingah36
by Gold Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:56 PM
As I'm a firm believer of animals acting out because of their owners and whatnot,but the many friends I have I've noticed some major similarities in these types of dogs actions. Your probably right though,our Jasmine is a rescue. I rescued her from my parents because my dad(pos) was physically abusing this poor dog quite badly. I'm not really sure exactly how my mom "raised" her,they had her since she was a 6 weeks old. When I took her(stole her literally in the middle of the night) she's been attached to me from hip from day one.

Quoting Anonymous:

Does that mentality have more to do with genetics or the way they are raised ?

Quoting elzingah36:

I have a 1 1/2 yr.old Yorkshire Terrier /Dachshund mix female. As sge is adorable as can be and a hoot to be around,she's very territorial and a one woman dog. She gets along with the kids pretty well for the most part but she's definitely been known to nip and growl at them because they've gotten to close to me and "our chair"(we share a recliner). My kids are 20,16,15&12. I personally believe you'd be a lot better off getting a beagle possibly. They're still pretty small but yet don't have the "it's all about me" attitude like the little "lap dogs". Just want you to know that the little "lap dogs" can be very selfish and territorial.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN