Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I just realized we can't afford Christmas...

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I did all the math on our bills over $1000 due this month most overdue. My daughter is 3 and learned about Santa this year at school, and my son is 1 and doesn't no better so I'm thinking I'll just say Santa forgot? I don't know what to. We already cut back on everything and were still drowning. We don't qualify for any PA, because of my husbands unemployment and the vaule of my car. I can barely keep food on the table. I can't sell my car cause its the only one we have and it's not worth that much. We're both looking for jobs but can't find any. I just don't know what to do. Thanks for listening. 

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 29, 2012 at 6:33 PM
Replies (21-30):
illinoismommy83
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Sell plasma, pawn your wedding ring, whatever. Walgreens has toys that are 3 for $14. They have cool things like Disney Princess backpacks full of art supplies and dolls and tea sets and such. Could easily give both kids a nice Christmas with the proceeds of one plasma donation.

LovingSAHMommy
by Gold Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 6:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Do you have anything you can sell on Craigslist? Or tots and clothes you can sell at a kids consignment shop?

Acid
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Cut the internet off.

LovingSAHMommy
by Gold Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Toys*, not tots, lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 29, 2012 at 6:54 PM
Most if not all of those are done by Thanksgiving and after that don't accept anyone :'(

Quoting CreziaMommyTo2:

angel tree, toys for tots, church donations, local charity groups

Refurbished
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Knock on doors.  Do yard work or housework.  Offer to clean your neighbor's bathrooms and kitchen for $40.  Go to Home Depot or Lowes.  Those customers buying materials may need help installing those materials.  Can you babysit?  Sell stuff on Ebay?  Donate blood? 

Also, she's three.  She only knows it's Christmas day because you've told her that.  If you have to wait until the end of the month, then do Christmas Day on January 1st if you have to.

endoftheworld
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 6:56 PM

My suggestion is just 1 gift per child plus 3 dollar store items per child.

Get a coloring book, a pack of crayons, and stuffed animal at the dollar store,1 per kid. $6 and a bit of tax

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Disney-Princess-Ballerina-Cinderella-Doll/17193216

$6 for this doll at walmart for your dd. It is free ship to store so you could just pick her up and pay $6.

$9 for this light up bear. Again free ship to store so just go pick it up. The toys here total come to about $23 with tax.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/VTech-Happy-Lights-Bear/14321364

There must be a way this is doable and much better than nothing right?

kikibix
by Platinum Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 6:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Christmas is not about gifts, it's about memories.  Cut out a Christmas tree shape out of newspapers and tape it to a wall and decorate it, bake some goodies, put on some Christmas music, go to the free local holiday events, read books, light the fireplace, etc.  It's about making special memories not about gifts that nobody will remember.  Think back on your own lifetime what is it about Christmas that is so special?  Don't fall into the commercial trap.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 29, 2012 at 6:58 PM

**** Hugs ****   Have you looked at applying to any Angel/Wishing tree programs?  If you have a church, do they have any programs to help people who have suddenly come on hard times?

ShyPiper
by Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 7:00 PM

I'm sorry mama! Don't listen to these broken records btw. A lot of people are having it rough in this economy, and hearing about it is a "buzz kill" for some people *rolls eyes*. I would check into local charities if I were you, see if you can't scrounge up some change and go to good will or something. You can even find cheap second hand toys on ebay or CL. Talk to family and see if they would just let you have what they were going to give them, and say santa brought them. Worst case, as some people said, just wait until you have extra money and have your own little christmas when it's possible. Good luck :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)