Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I just realized we can't afford Christmas...

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I did all the math on our bills over $1000 due this month most overdue. My daughter is 3 and learned about Santa this year at school, and my son is 1 and doesn't no better so I'm thinking I'll just say Santa forgot? I don't know what to. We already cut back on everything and were still drowning. We don't qualify for any PA, because of my husbands unemployment and the vaule of my car. I can barely keep food on the table. I can't sell my car cause its the only one we have and it's not worth that much. We're both looking for jobs but can't find any. I just don't know what to do. Thanks for listening. 

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 29, 2012 at 6:33 PM
Replies (51-60):
BeautyFull
by Silver Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 7:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh boy! Your kids are young but dont train them to think that Christmas is about gifts.  Last year my family and I were not in a good position, our boys 5 & 11 already knew that we love them and if they dont get nothing for Christmas they will get when we have Money. 

Because they were so understanding we still wanted to try do something, specially for the younger one.  So we went to Walmart and bought a few toys that cost $1.00 and packed them into some nice size boxes and put them under the tree that we couldnt afford to decorate.  My oldest son got some cloths that were on sale, we may have spent $10.00! When they opened up them gifts they were so Happy, and we didnt even spend $30.00

I must say tho, both my husband and I are in a better position this year because I have found an opportunity that is changing our lives!  If you are interested I would be happy to share it with you and your husband.

Join: Health/Wealthy Mom

It does not matter where you are but where you are goin.      

~Tough times do not last, Tough people do!~

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 29, 2012 at 7:27 PM

I agree, and wish I had the balls to say it.

ALSO   I dont know how those bills and things can sneak up on you either... I can tell you roughly what is going to be in my bank account and what will be coming out at any point in the month for at least four months forward. Any change of income and I sit down and calculate how its going to affect us. This might just be a side effect of being poor for so long...  Now, if something drastic happened and we had a large bill dumped on us, I might be in a frenzy for a minute... but it doesnt sound like the OPs case. 

PREPARE!!!!! Gah, people, its called a budget. We are all old enough to have children, we should all be able to have some sort of budget

Quoting Anonymous:

For one....it's not like christmas can sneak up on you.  It's the same time every year.  This is why you plan and prepare.  So your bills are $1000?  I feel you.  I feel like we are drowning constanty...especially if I have a short paycheck.  But you know what?  My son will have a full christmas tree.  Why?  Because I planned.  I know Christmas is Secember 25th.  EVERY YEAR.  the day doesn't change.  I started buying one gift a week back in the summer.  For the bigger gifts, I would set $20 out of every paycheck.  Why not be smart about it?  The angel tree annoys me when it comes to people like you who don't prepare.

That is all.  Call me a bitch, but I don't care.  We are poor, but still have food on the table, bills are paid, and my son will have a christmas   (even though gifts don't make christmas)

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 29, 2012 at 7:27 PM

how about getting something from the thrift store or goodwill? Sometimes they have toys there new in the box. Maybe you can find there a plush toy or 2 and maybe a book or 2. Around here they sell plush toys as low as 59 cents. books as low as 39 cents. If that doenst work maybe the dollar store? Just if you can spare 5 dollars there or so at least to give her something small.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 29, 2012 at 7:32 PM

And another thing... you are already so overdue on your bills, whats another 15-20 dollars for a dollar store christmas?

BeautyFull
by Silver Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 7:34 PM
3 moms liked this

Another thing I tought my kids..  SANTA DONT BRING _________!!! Parents are the ones that work hard to make sure that kids have a wonderful Christmas!!! I will be damed if I let my kids think different.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 29, 2012 at 7:35 PM

I don't understand how bills can sneak either.  Normal bills I know will be roughly $1200.  The only thing that EVER "sneaks" is medical bills and the we recently had a $400 bill pop up from a year ago!  I"m always planning how many hours I need at work to pay the bills.  Always.  It's like the math is always running through my head to make sure there's enough.  If there's not, I sell something of mine to cover the difference.  To cover the $400, I had to sell my laptop, my kindle, and our yard blower.

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree, and wish I had the balls to say it.

ALSO   I dont know how those bills and things can sneak up on you either... I can tell you roughly what is going to be in my bank account and what will be coming out at any point in the month for at least four months forward. Any change of income and I sit down and calculate how its going to affect us. This might just be a side effect of being poor for so long...  Now, if something drastic happened and we had a large bill dumped on us, I might be in a frenzy for a minute... but it doesnt sound like the OPs case. 

PREPARE!!!!! Gah, people, its called a budget. We are all old enough to have children, we should all be able to have some sort of budget

Quoting Anonymous:

For one....it's not like christmas can sneak up on you.  It's the same time every year.  This is why you plan and prepare.  So your bills are $1000?  I feel you.  I feel like we are drowning constanty...especially if I have a short paycheck.  But you know what?  My son will have a full christmas tree.  Why?  Because I planned.  I know Christmas is Secember 25th.  EVERY YEAR.  the day doesn't change.  I started buying one gift a week back in the summer.  For the bigger gifts, I would set $20 out of every paycheck.  Why not be smart about it?  The angel tree annoys me when it comes to people like you who don't prepare.

That is all.  Call me a bitch, but I don't care.  We are poor, but still have food on the table, bills are paid, and my son will have a christmas   (even though gifts don't make christmas)

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 29, 2012 at 7:38 PM
California...

Quoting Anonymous:

You only receive UE and you don't qualify for ANY pa? In what states do they count your car against you? You can't get a couple dollar store things? Trade something on Craigslist, do an odd job off Craigslist, pawn stuff, check into local charities. Call 211

myhandsomelove
by Gold Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 7:38 PM
I'm sorry, try your church or even thru the school they sometimes help. Or on freecycle for slightly used toys, what is old to one kid can be new to yours. (((Hugs)))
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LamiavitaDivina
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 7:39 PM
Yup!

Quoting BeautyFull:

Another thing I tought my kids..  SANTA DONT BRING _________!!! Parents are the ones that work hard to make sure that kids have a wonderful Christmas!!! I will be damed if I let my kids think different.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 29, 2012 at 7:40 PM
Go to the dollar tree and wrap up 3 things each
Your children are young and will be happy with small things.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)