Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Need help ASAP.....water breaking question

Posted by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 5:52 AM
  • 35 Replies

Ok, so I am nine months today. Yesterday I went to the doctors and she said I was 2cm dilated. I had been having signs of preterm labor earlier on so they have already given me steroid shots and what not. I've been having mild contractions over the past week or so. A little while ago I went to sit down on my couch and suddenly I felt very wet. To the point where it was on my legs and I had to change my underware. I know this is tmi, bear with me. Now, with my first child, I was induced and the doctor broke my water, so I don't know what its like if it breaks on its own. It wasnt a gush of water or anything. And it felt kinda "thicker" than water. Not like discharge, but not super watery. Could this be my water breaking? Should I call afterhours or just wait till my doctors opens? Anyone else have this issue? Please help. Thanks!

by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 5:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Unoriginal.
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 5:54 AM
Smell it.
For real lol

It might've been pee
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovelove211
by Platinum Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 5:54 AM
I'm not sure as my waters didn't break either but here's a bump for someone who knows
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Liz.Sisk
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 5:58 AM
Call after hours. And smell it. You can tell if it's pee of course. Amniotic fluid doesn't have much of a smell. It is thicker than urine.
If you think it broke always call. They'll more than likely say. Hospital, now. They'll test it for pooling. My forewater broke so one test was positive. It's two outta three. If your water did break infection is highly risk. Always call if you think it broke. Good luck hun
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SB2217
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 5:58 AM
Is it still coming out? With my first it was a big gush. My second was so low that it would just drip slowly and when I walked.
If it still comes out , even a little go to l&d. They'll test it to see if it is amniotic fluid or not.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thefiregoddess
by MotherDucker on Nov. 30, 2012 at 6:00 AM
This!
As a nurse and a mom with friends... i can tell you often its pee!

If it doesn't smell like pee I'd go in. You don't *have* to go in its usually safe to labor a while with a broken bag for a few days... but i would personally just get my ducks in a row and go in.

Quoting Unoriginal.:

Smell it.

For real lol

It might've been pee
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GreenAndLean
by Bronze Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 6:00 AM
Mine never broke at home but when they broke it it was a lot and a huge gush that lasted what seemed like forever.
dlnimo
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 6:05 AM
With both my pregnancies my water broke at home. With my first, it trickled out every time I stood up. With the twins because they were breech the water gushed out every time I took a breath! I agree with the PP, smell it. Toy will know if it's your water it pee! Good luck :)
Titana
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 6:06 AM
My water broke at home. :) for me I wasn't sure at first either because it wasn't a huge gush, just enough to soak my underwear and run down my legs. I put on a pad and waited. When it happened again I was sitting and had not moved. I checked the pad and it was soaked. I put on another pad and called my ob. Best of luck mama!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamakat070812
by Gold Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 6:08 AM
After being broken for 24 hours the risk of infection increases.
Where I worked before they would not let the mother labor longer than 24 hours with broken water, they did a csection.

Quoting thefiregoddess:

This!

As a nurse and a mom with friends... i can tell you often its pee!

If it doesn't smell like pee I'd go in. You don't *have* to go in its usually safe to labor a while with a broken bag for a few days... but i would personally just get my ducks in a row and go in.

Quoting Unoriginal.:

Smell it.

For real lol

It might've been pee

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MyLittlePwny
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 6:12 AM
Smell it. Another thing you can do, and it's a bit grosser than smelling it is to stick two fingers in there and cough. I have birth to my daughter last Friday and the hospital kept telling me it was pee. That was the only way I knew for sure it was my water (until it turned green of course).
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN