Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

The food stamp program will be cut ?? That's A LOT of money!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 987 Replies
2 moms liked this

Republicans have also focused on food stamps as a target for cuts. Last year, Cantor said he had identified $20 billion that the federal government could save by eliminating fraud from the Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program. (Democrats, however, argued that the real number was closer to $2 billion.) And House Budget Committee Chair Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) slashed SNAP funding by $127 billion over the next decade in his 2011 budget.

If the cuts took effect in 2015, as Ryan proposed, 10 million Americans would lose their eligibility in the following seven years, the Center for Budget and Policy Priorities found.

In September, Congress failed to pass a new farm bill, in part due to disagreements over how much to cut from SNAP. The GOP-controlled House attempted to slash food stamps by $16 billion over the next year alone during negotiations, whereas Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) and the Senate Democrats limited the SNAP cuts to $4 billion over the next year.

Still, the food stamp program remains a likely place where lawmakers will seek to find savings this fall.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/11/fiscal-cliff-talks-medicare-social-security_n_2113259.html

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jillbailey26
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:30 AM
6 moms liked this

No comment, lol.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

JamesMom714
by Platinum Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:31 AM
90 moms liked this
" 10 million Americans would lose their eligibility in the following seven years"... Perhaps people should take the next 7 years to learn to help themselves knowing the cuts will be coming.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ElitestJen
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:32 AM
17 moms liked this

LOL @ "Democrats, however, argued that the real number was closer to $2 billion."

Jackasses.

And - good.  People should be able to meet their own basic needs.

JBiiirdD
by No Day but Today on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:33 AM
6 moms liked this
This. I've been on assistance for about 5/6 months & I cannot WAIT to be off. I've never had to be on it & I absolutely hate it. I'm amazed at people who have been on it 1+ years.

Quoting JamesMom714:

" 10 million Americans would lose their eligibility in the following seven years"... Perhaps people should take the next 7 years to learn to help themselves knowing the cuts will be coming.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:33 AM
Wow...
Ali5683
by Ruby Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:34 AM
22 moms liked this

I think it would be helpful to cut food stamps! Weed out the ones who are abusing it and make it a temporary assistance program. There is no reason why someone should be on government assistance longer than 6 months or, in rare cases, one year. I'm sick of paying for lazy asses instead of the ones who actually need it!

angevil53
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:36 AM
25 moms liked this
Yes it's not a paycheck so you can be a sahm.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:37 AM
4 moms liked this
I have been getting food stamps for about 6 years now.. We could afford food on our own i supposed, but as long as I remain eligible im going to keep it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:37 AM

This is going to start a lotof stuff for the people that do abuse the system that will be cut. Lol can't wait to hear about that

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:37 AM
38 moms liked this
Ton of kids will starve and / or die because of this :'( all politicians are ASSHOLES who don't give a shit because it's not their fucking problem just more money in their damn pockets it's sad that the world has come to this :/ hopefully it does NOT happen
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)