Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

The food stamp program will be cut ?? That's A LOT of money!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Republicans have also focused on food stamps as a target for cuts. Last year, Cantor said he had identified $20 billion that the federal government could save by eliminating fraud from the Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program. (Democrats, however, argued that the real number was closer to $2 billion.) And House Budget Committee Chair Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) slashed SNAP funding by $127 billion over the next decade in his 2011 budget.

If the cuts took effect in 2015, as Ryan proposed, 10 million Americans would lose their eligibility in the following seven years, the Center for Budget and Policy Priorities found.

In September, Congress failed to pass a new farm bill, in part due to disagreements over how much to cut from SNAP. The GOP-controlled House attempted to slash food stamps by $16 billion over the next year alone during negotiations, whereas Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) and the Senate Democrats limited the SNAP cuts to $4 billion over the next year.

Still, the food stamp program remains a likely place where lawmakers will seek to find savings this fall.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/11/fiscal-cliff-talks-medicare-social-security_n_2113259.html

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:29 AM
Replies (981-987):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:29 AM

Things are going to get ugly out there. 

mamakirs
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:04 AM
This exactly..well said

Quoting ElitestJen:

Quoting Celtic_Dragon:

I'm glad you seem to have all the answers for millions of people across the globe.

Fiances are taught and learned. Not born knowing. They don't teach you how to balance your bank account in school. But you learn how to do math you'll never use unless you build rockets for missiles to destroy civilizations. . .

Before the 1970s, you didn't NEED a college education to education yourself. You could learn how to do everything by self teaching yourself. Today, our consumerism market favors the money spent on a college education, even if you could have taught yourself. No one will take their prized animal to a vet who is self-taught and does not have a license. Even if that person has thousands of patients under their belt.

In Germany, high school children were suppose to select a field they wanted and they were expected to commit themselves completely to it for their three years of school. They worked and attended school and had to mind the older children that were in the same program. That way, when they graduated high school, they had the knowledge and the experience to not only do their jobs, but they were taught to be committed and to respect their elders. Our country does not have this. Very, very, very few do. Instead, the seniors belittle and look down on the freshman and there is no guidance and no motivation and no training to be an adult in our schools.

These things are TAUGHT, and we are NOT teaching it. Why? Because of money. It always go back to it and is hindering us. 

I don't have to have answers for everyone across the globe.  I have the answers for entitled American citizens who put themselves in bad financial situations because they "deserve" more or just because they want more than they rightfully earn.  There's no excuse for lack of financial advice.  Google is available everywhere.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know not to buy more house than you can afford or to take out student loans to pay your rent. 

Seniors scowl at the freshmen because the freshmen know nothing about sacrifice, hard work, and patience.  We want it all and we want it NOW!  If we don't like something, we push a button to change it or simply throw it away.  And the freshmen scowl and are rude to the seniors and seem to think the seniors owe them something.

It doesn't come down to money.  It comes down to parenting.  Parents are the ultimate teachers in a child's life.  They've passed the buck to teachers and there simply is not enough time.  Teachers are now in charge of teaching life skills AND the 3 R's.  No one wants to be called a bad parent, but the truth is....if you're not providing and teaching your kids to provide - you suck.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mamakirs
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:11 AM
Fwiw, my hubby and i neither one have a college degree and we make a very very nice income. It is our strong work ethic, drive, huge sense of self respect and refusal to accept anything less that keeps us in our jobs.

We have priorities....we do not drive new cars, we have a beautiful yet modest home, we do not have credit cards, we put everything we can into our 401k and savings...

We are NOT entitled and we do NOT expect the government to support us.

Our wants and needs and those of our children lay entirely on us.

It feels good. More people should try it
clari85
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:22 AM
Ummm...because people who aren't on stamps are never fat? Ok....

Quoting Anonymous:

cutting food stamps will lead people to go on a diet, and to cut back from overeating-will solve obesity issues

Allie_kat1
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:24 AM
Nope. I would (and already do) pay .20 cents extra to get gas that does not contain ethanol. Its better for your vehicle, and you get much better fuel economy with gas that is not an ethanol blend. In my truck it is actually cheaper for me to pay the extra .20-.25 per gallon for the premium that is ethanol free because i can go roughly 120 miles further on that same tank of fuel.

Quoting ElitestJen:

Quoting Mom2_Jimmy_Anka:

I think it would be nice if we started the cuts with coporate welfare and corn subsidies. It would save a lot more money. Cutting from food stamps now is a sure way to throw us back into a recession. 

Corn subsidies?  You want to pay $5+/gal for gas with ethanol?

How many more people would need food stamps, then?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ElitestJen
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Quoting Allie_kat1:

Nope. I would (and already do) pay .20 cents extra to get gas that does not contain ethanol. Its better for your vehicle, and you get much better fuel economy with gas that is not an ethanol blend. In my truck it is actually cheaper for me to pay the extra .20-.25 per gallon for the premium that is ethanol free because i can go roughly 120 miles further on that same tank of fuel.

Ethanol free gas is only $0.10 higher here....and I know this because I only put ethanol free gas in my truck.  With that said, ethanol gas is significantly subsidized because it costs significantly more than regular gasoline.  In some states, you cannot find ethanol free gasoline (New England).

team2008
by Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Limits people, Limits. 1 year on food stamps.... 1 baby for medi-cal / medicaid. Not 4,5,or 6... The fed's will pay for 1..... One year on food stamsp. 1 year of uneployment benifits. If you can not get your act together after 1 year then you are LAZY.!!!!! .....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)