Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Phantom Pains in a 9 yr old?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies

My son has always had weird things going on with him since he was younger.  Unexplained things.  Like his neck...he can make it pop and crack just but jutting his chin forward and he had pain in it too.  The dr's had him going to get mri's but he could never stay still long enough and when they sent us to have him sedated for one we didn't have the same insurance and they woudln't cover it.  Anyhow- then his back started hurting and then his hip. They aren't constant and they come and go. He isn't fat but he is on the upper percentile in weight and he has never been very coordinated. Yesterday he started crying and said that his left arm hurt really bad.  not his elbow but mid-arm.  I asked if he fell or bumped it and he said no. This morning he woke up and was crying that his right shoulder was hurting and didn't want to lift his arms up.  Basically I helped him get dressed for school.  I sent him with a note telling the teacher that if he is in too much pain to let him see the nurse.  And I sent the nurse a note telling her what was going on.  I just don't know what to do.  His pediatrician is not the type to really dig for answers so I am wondering if I should just go to the ER? or should I chalk it up to being growing pains?  He really is in pain...weird pain. He can't describe it other than it is inside the bone.  He is a very smart and loving boy and other than being the youngest and feeling a bit left out at times he isn't the type to cry wolf.  Then I had a nightmare last night that my son had cancer and then they couldn't help him because I waited too long...so now I am freaking out.  What do you guys think it could be?  What should I do?

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:57 PM

bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:09 PM
1 mom liked this

hmmm...hoping someone knows of anything.  I went to the Dr. and he is going to get a blood test for a bunch of stuff.... oh well.  apparently no one read this. lol

KalenaRose11
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:15 PM
I'm not sure but good luck! Have them look for anything in his bones... Such as an abnormality in his bone marrow, etc. My little sister had some growing pains than caused her knees to hurt but she played soccer and was very active.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lanceandhailey
by Platinum Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:18 PM

BUMP!

jonnlilithsmom
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:20 PM

if his pediatrician won't look for what is wrong, get him another pediatrician...

I have no ideas for you about what it might be, but I am very concerned for your son... just a bad feeling I have that if he isn't diagnosed soon, it could be a very bad thing... please take him in and MAKE that doctor start doing testing!

sweetmissy_05
by Gold Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Yes definately get some tests done to make sure what's going on!! If your current pediatrician won't do it then please go to someone else!! 

Moma3boyz
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:22 PM
Have him checked for juvenile rheumatoid arthritis. It can have some of these symptoms and can be diagnosed with blood work.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:22 PM
My daughter has had several bouts like that. Most recently her hip joint just about locked up-her pedi ran bloodwork and found her ANA markers were triple what they should have been and now we are waiting on a referral to a rheumatologist.
MissArtsyPants
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:27 PM

I wouldn't go to the ER unless it got really bad suddenly, and he were to act odd. It will just bring you unecessary bills if your insurance will not cover it. I would suggest finding a better Pediatrician, or even a general physician if they will see him. I hope his tests go well.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:28 PM
"phantom pains" is a term used for amputees who experience a sensation of the limb still being attached. I think your little one may be experiencing growing pains. My 9 years old son gets them occasionally. I would defanently recomend further testing by a docter just to be sure. Good luck!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN