Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My Neighbors are going to hate me -_-

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: which coop do you like better?

Options:

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 178

View Results

AFTER SAYING THIS A FEW TIMES I WILL POST IT UP HERE.  I have already contacted the city. It IS allowed. I just need permits. 

I am a country girl stuck in the city. To me teaching kids where food comes from is VERY important. I live in an area that everyone is very close together (our drive way has a 6 inch strip of grass and a metal fence between our drive way then theirs. Theirs touches the house. I have a 8 inch strip of grass between my house and driveway.) . I have been working on puting things like blueberry bushes (so far 6 planing on 12), raspberry bushes (have two want 9), Strawberries (none yet), Veggie garden up front, fence lined with corn. WELL...We are talking about geting a permit to build a chicken coop and then geting a permit to have chickens on the property! SHoule we do this we are planing on having between 6 and 10 chickens (no roosters).  LOL well atleast they make less noise than my nehbors Yappy dog. I found 4 diffrent coops I like. ALL flooring will be sand for easy cleaning (including in the run). Hoing with Rhode Island Reds who lay up to 5 eggs a week so if we went with 10 we would have 50 eggs a week. This means the kids could gather the eggs and sell the extra. 

2 of the nehbors have anoying as hell pets. A cat that had been shitting on my lawn. (sprinkilers stoped that), and a none stop yapping dog. Oh and the one with a yapping dog has a house alarm that goes off atleast once a month and will go one for an hour or more. 

IF YOU CLEAN TWICE A DAY HELL EVEN IF YOU CLEAN THE CAGE ONCE A DAY AND PUT THE WASTE IN A CLOSED CONTAINER YOU DO NOT GET THE SMELL

FOR ME NONE OF THE COOPS WOULD BE PAINTED THEY WOULD ALL BE STAINED WOOD.

This is our house and yard (the grape vines are gone)

We will be taking the plants out of the back (weeds) and puting it behind the brick building. Again grape vines are gone. 

For information please click the ribbon. 

I have something known as Nerofibromatosis. This illness causes tumors to grow within my body. I currently have brain tumors which affects my ability to function 100% normaly. My memory is poor as is my spelling and grammar abilities. It is a part of who my youngest is and a part of who I am. It is not all of ether of us.

My husbands best friends brother has a condition known as tuberous sclerosis. He was supposed to have died at a very young age. He is now close to 30 and still alive. He has had a few brain surgeries and has had to have his shunt replaced a few times. They run a program to help people with this condition. This ribbon will take you to their website where information on TS is located. 

by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:57 AM
Replies (111-120):
Mrs.wilcox01
by Gold Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 2:43 PM
One and three would be best for where your putting it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kzuehlk
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 2:44 PM
We tie their feet and hang them upside down for a minute or so before we do it. It makes them nice and calm with the blood rushing to their heads. Then we just slice the veins in both sides of their necks and let them bleed out. They usually stay calm the entire time. We tried just lobbing a head off, but it was far too horrific!

Quoting gypsy_rose:

what way do you use for slaughter? I don't know if I could stomach that part LOL

Quoting kzuehlk:

We live in the city and usually raise about 100 chickens every summer. Our neighbors love the fresh eggs (except one crotchety old woman who hates everyone.) We use some for meat and sell the rest to bring in a little extra cash. We can't have roosters in the city, but there is no limit on how many hens we can have as long as it doesn't smell and we keep them 30 feet off the property line. My kids love it!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
silverdawn99
by Ruby Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 2:46 PM

while i think this is an awesome state you better check your zoning codes

some cities do not allow animals like this inside city limits and you also can get in trouble for the noise

i wish you good luck

Quoting gypsy_rose:

this would be the breed of chicken

gypsy_rose
by Kandy on Nov. 30, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Already have. It is legal here. 

Quoting silverdawn99:

while i think this is an awesome state you better check your zoning codes

some cities do not allow animals like this inside city limits and you also can get in trouble for the noise

i wish you good luck

Quoting gypsy_rose:

this would be the breed of chicken

I have something known as Nerofibromatosis. This illness causes tumors to grow within my body. I currently have brain tumors which affects my ability to function 100% normaly. My memory is poor as is my spelling and grammar abilities. It is a part of who my youngest is and a part of who I am. It is not all of ether of us.

My husbands best friends brother has a condition known as tuberous sclerosis. He was supposed to have died at a very young age. He is now close to 30 and still alive. He has had a few brain surgeries and has had to have his shunt replaced a few times. They run a program to help people with this condition. This ribbon will take you to their website where information on TS is located. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Nov. 30, 2012 at 2:51 PM
If you sell any of your produce/eggs you have to count the money you get as income when you do taxes.
gypsy_rose
by Kandy on Nov. 30, 2012 at 2:57 PM

I contacted the IRS about that. Because it is my CHILDREN selling them (they will be keeping the profet) and at max they would make 12 a week between 4 of them no it would not need to be reported. They will be helping with egg collection.

Quoting Anonymous:

If you sell any of your produce/eggs you have to count the money you get as income when you do taxes.

littlesmom3
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 2:59 PM
I love number two. Id say as long as you have permission to have them , then i wouldnt worry about the neighbors. Maybe offer them free eggs every now and then? I wish my neighbors were that awesome lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Nov. 30, 2012 at 3:00 PM
Okaaaay. No need to be rude. I was just letting you know what I know. My friend didn't know and got in a shit-ton of trouble. Excuse me!

Quoting gypsy_rose:

I contacted the IRS about that. Because it is my CHILDREN selling them (they will be keeping the profet) and at max they would make 12 a week between 4 of them no it would not need to be reported. They will be helping with egg collection.

Quoting Anonymous:

gypsy_rose
by Kandy on Nov. 30, 2012 at 3:01 PM

I was planning every few weeks to give them each a dozen eggs.

Quoting littlesmom3:

I love number two. Id say as long as you have permission to have them , then i wouldnt worry about the neighbors. Maybe offer them free eggs every now and then? I wish my neighbors were that awesome lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Nov. 30, 2012 at 3:34 PM
I like 2 but I would just skip the extra side part and let them wonder your yard.
Just clip their wings so they can't get over the fence.

Isa browns are good too. There a long island red and something cross, they are good layers. You can have 6 chickens and end up with 7 eggs a day.
We have Americanas. I love them green and blue eggs. But they can fly over anything, even with clipped wings.. (we live in the country)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)