Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

No "Santa" gifts for bad kids?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 59 Replies

Poll

Question: Is taking a way "Santa" presents a bad idea?

Options:

Yes, it's a bad idea, give him presents

Nope, he shouldn't get Santa gifts

Other, cause...you know. And explain why!

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 45

View Results

My oldest son has been fairly badly behaved in school this year.  He went from A/B honor roll last year to almost all C's this year, and he's been sent to in-school detention (NOT in-school suspension) 5 times already.  All of his behavior is him being the class clown and getting in trouble for it, and he's a pretty good kid at home, for the most part.  

He is 13 (almost 14) and doesn't believe in "Santa" anymore, but he has a younger brother and sister who do.  I am considering not giving him any gifts from "Santa" this year (he'd still get gifts from everyone else, but just nothing from the North Pole).  

I don't know if this is too mean to do, and I want some opinions.

*Edit* Because several people have mentioned his already:  Even though he doesn't believe in Santa anymore, and hasn't for years, I've still given him "Santa" gifts in previous years.  

*Edit 2* I have tried other ways to correct his behavior.  I have grounded him, taken things away, changed his bedtime, given him more chores and more homework....I've done everything I can think of short of getting physical.  Nothing changes.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 30, 2012 at 9:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AleaKat
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 9:21 AM
If my kids did something truly horrible you're damn right I'd leave out Santa gifts. Otherwise it not only proves that Santa isn't real or is full of it but it validates the action. Consistency is key.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
702girly
by Gold Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 9:22 AM

I don't see how that's a punishment at all. He's a teenager. He doesn't believe in Santa anymore. If you're going to spend the same amount of money do you really think he gives a damn if the tag says from Santa?

blakesmommy531
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 9:23 AM
If he doesn't believe anyway & he's still going to get the same amount, I don't see how that's punishment.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
UgtaBkdnMe
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 9:24 AM

your options are misleading.

ccnstanczak
by Gold Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Quoting 702girly:

I don't see how that's a punishment at all. He's a teenager. He doesn't believe in Santa anymore. If you're going to spend the same amount of money do you really think he gives a damn if the tag says from Santa?

this.

and id be trying to figure out what the real root of the problem of why his grades dropped and why hes acting out and figure out solutions to get him back on track. simply punishing him at Christmas is a mistake and sends the wrong message. (not saying you are but jmo)

jas_momof2
by Platinum Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 9:28 AM

I agree...

Quoting ccnstanczak:

Quoting 702girly:

this.

and id be trying to figure out what the real root of the problem of why his grades dropped and why hes acting out and figure out solutions to get him back on track. simply punishing him at Christmas is a mistake and sends the wrong message. (not saying you are but jmo)

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 30, 2012 at 9:28 AM

How would he know how much money I spent on him?  Even though he doesn't believe in Santa anymore, I have still given him presents from santa in previous years.

Quoting 702girly:

mitikusmom
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Honestly no Santa for a kid who has been naughty is not a bad idea.  And if he doesn't believe not only does it send a good message to your other kids, but it probably won't really matter to your son.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 30, 2012 at 9:29 AM

...Yes, no and other are misleading?  How so?

Quoting UgtaBkdnMe:

your options are misleading.

zianneaaliyah
by 4ever LMFAO on Nov. 30, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Really?  I picked other because bad kids don't get gifts at all, from "Santa" or anyone else. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)