Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

No "Santa" gifts for bad kids?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Is taking a way "Santa" presents a bad idea?

Options:

Yes, it's a bad idea, give him presents

Nope, he shouldn't get Santa gifts

Other, cause...you know. And explain why!

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 45

View Results

My oldest son has been fairly badly behaved in school this year.  He went from A/B honor roll last year to almost all C's this year, and he's been sent to in-school detention (NOT in-school suspension) 5 times already.  All of his behavior is him being the class clown and getting in trouble for it, and he's a pretty good kid at home, for the most part.  

He is 13 (almost 14) and doesn't believe in "Santa" anymore, but he has a younger brother and sister who do.  I am considering not giving him any gifts from "Santa" this year (he'd still get gifts from everyone else, but just nothing from the North Pole).  

I don't know if this is too mean to do, and I want some opinions.

*Edit* Because several people have mentioned his already:  Even though he doesn't believe in Santa anymore, and hasn't for years, I've still given him "Santa" gifts in previous years.  

*Edit 2* I have tried other ways to correct his behavior.  I have grounded him, taken things away, changed his bedtime, given him more chores and more homework....I've done everything I can think of short of getting physical.  Nothing changes.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 30, 2012 at 9:19 AM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Following through on the whole "Santa's watching so you'd better behave" crap is a clever punishment?

Do you really think that I've made no attempt to fix the problem?  I've tried everything short of smacking him to fix the problem.  I've grounded him, I've taken his favorite things away from him, I've taken away other things that don't matter as much, I've given him more homework, more chores, earlier bedtime....nothing has worked.  Do you have a suggestion for another (not clever) punishment?

Quoting rgba:

Yep.
I think your too worried about a clever punishment, when really you need to fix the problem.

Quoting ccnstanczak:

Quoting 702girly:

I don't see how that's a punishment at all. He's a teenager. He doesn't believe in Santa anymore. If you're going to spend the same amount of money do you really think he gives a damn if the tag says from Santa?

this.

and id be trying to figure out what the real root of the problem of why his grades dropped and why hes acting out and figure out solutions to get him back on track. simply punishing him at Christmas is a mistake and sends the wrong message. (not saying you are but jmo)

LectioDivina
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:07 PM

That's fine...

He doesn't believe in santa anyways, and if he's still getting presents from mom and dad it will kind of be more of a teaching experience for the younger ones than a punishment for him... he might not care

Babujai
by Gold Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Santa brought my ODS a box of rocks one year when he was having a lot of behavioural issues in school.  He got a few other gifts, too, but I made sure that was the first one he opened.  It was a sobering and eye-opening experience for him, probably more than not getting a Santa gift at all.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:08 PM

I have younger brothers and sisters, I got "santa" gifts until the day I moved out. I always knew they were from my parents and thanked them later for everything I got. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:09 PM

How old was he when you did this?  Did he still believe in Santa?  I'm curious, because a lot of people are saying that it won't effect him at all if he already doesn't believe in Santa.

Quoting Babujai:

Santa brought my ODS a box of rocks one year when he was having a lot of behavioural issues in school.  He got a few other gifts, too, but I made sure that was the first one he opened.  It was a sobering and eye-opening experience for him, probably more than not getting a Santa gift at all.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:09 PM

...that doesn't really answer the question.

Quoting Anonymous:

I have younger brothers and sisters, I got "santa" gifts until the day I moved out. I always knew they were from my parents and thanked them later for everything I got. 

lovelife350
by Platinum Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:11 PM

your poll is messed up , the yes answer and the no answer both lead to him getting gift from santa

ms-superwoman
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:12 PM

If he doesn't believe in Santa, I highly doubt he will care.

opinionatedmom
by Platinum Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:13 PM

give him lumps of coal. you can get the candy and the gum. that way the younger kids believe bad kids get lumps of coal and he at least gets something.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Then what is your question? I'm sorry I thought you were asking about giving him santa gifts still or just gifts from you. Damn, I need some coffee. 

Quoting Anonymous:

...that doesn't really answer the question.

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)