Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

You know what's even MORE strange than extended breastfeeding?

Posted by   + Show Post

A Grown woman who's offended by breasts.

Very Unnatural.

by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 10:05 AM
Replies (561-570):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 3, 2012 at 5:21 PM
If boobs are sexual given that criterion, so is skin as a whole.

I can assure you that my friend from Kenya did not consider boobs sexual during breast feeding. Not at all. To her, breasts and breast milk were a FAMILY resource. Had you told her to cover up while feeding she would have asked you why.

My sils (both from South America and the same country), viewed breast feeding very differently. One was from the coast and covered up, the other from the mountains and thought that was silly. Even within their own geographic areas there were generational variations.

And I listed the areas I live in. Are you unable to read?

My other sister in law considered bathing a non-sexual activity as do the Japanese. Boobs are not covered during bathing. And often during swimming. Why would they be offensive when feeding a child?

The reason boobs are considered sexually attractive? Because it indicates you can FEED your child. Because that is what they DO. For some women, a man's income or strength is considered attractive for the same reason. Shall we sexualize the almighty wallet?

Regarding the notion that nerve endings cause a breast to be a sexual organ (which for a female is ludicrous). ...,men's nipples also have nerve endings. Really their only potential purpose is simulators and vestigial.... Which makes their nipples far MORE purely sexual. Yet men's nipples are NOT considered obscene. Or requiring covering in hot weather in public places.

Secondly, the almighty boob is behind several other organs and body parts in terms of nerve endings. It isn't even in the top 10.

Boobs are sexual in some contexts, but then again those contexts vary widely by culture and location. Are you implying that ALL cultures cover up their boobs at all times? Do you run screaming from beaches in Europe wear women sunbathe topless?

ALL cultures think that breastfeeding requires a cover? Again incorrect.

Do ALL sensual body parts require cover up? Rarely. The lips are also highly sensual yet largely uncovered.

And yes, imposing your Puritanical "cover it up" idea is most definitely a case of YOU imposing your morals on people. You may feel ashamed of your breasts. I simply don't while I am breast feeding.

You are free to cover up from head to toe, in fact, I encourage it. Any person who cannot control their eyes or loins shouldn't be roaming about anyways.

I will feed my child as my priority with the organ whose primary function is to do so. And I will happily tell you to shove off. Or put clothes that I find more appropriate for you. Like a dunce cap.

Quoting Momniscient:

I havent' figured out your argument in order to pick it apart.

That boobs aren't sexual?

Well that's just stupid. Biology dictates that boobs ARE indeed sexual otherwise they wouldn't have sensitive nerve endings and be an errogenous zone that evolutionarily speaking has a lot to do with reproductive selection (selection being a biological term in this sense not a conscious choice). Boobs are a means of signalling to a body sexual desire. As well as attracting the opposite sex. In fact there are a lot of biologists (ooooh peer reviewed and vetted even) who will suggest that it is as scientifically accurate to state that boobs evolved as a sexual signalling device as it is to claim they evolved to feed kids.  Boobs are sexual and they feed things. To claim that boobs are not sexual is merely dichotomizing the issue in the exact same way that those who claim that boobs should never be flung about while a kid is attached are doing.

It's silly and counterproductive. Your boobs, my boobs, Condoleeza Rice's boobs, Mother Mary's boobs and Queen Victoria's boobs are sexual. What I said was don't try to desexualize MY boobs because you are a breastfeeding nazi.

You are taking issue with the sexualization of boobs in a puritanical context. Boobs are sexual AND they feed the spawn of humans. I don't put my tits on hiatus because I have a kid stuck to them. And to try to tell women they have to desexualize their tits for the duration of breastfeeding is silly and puritanical. No wonder America doesn't extended breastfeed like some parts of the world if they have to view their own anatomy in such a black and white way.

You keep bringing up sub saharan Africa and other such developing parts of the world. Do you really think they desexualize the tit? Have you LIVED in these parts of the world? I have not been to sub saharan africa but I have traveled extensively in the Andes and have lived in Europe and I can assure you that they ACCEPT that tits are both sensual and functional.

Why are you pigeonholing the almighty holy boob?

Quoting Anonymous:

Still all talk no action. Clearly your degree was mail order. Still no "ripping it apart". Funny that.

Ongoing assessment: momniacient is mean but not all that bright. Doesn't live up to the hype in the name.

Quoting Momniscient:

Good lord.

Take some comprehension classes too. I suspect you aren't even out of high school yet. They have classes like that in college. Even community college.

Quoting Anonymous:

Are you still talking?

Funny how you "could" rip it apart yet don't. Three times now you've referenced that. If you could rip it apart you would have by now.

But you don't.... Says miles about you.

Quoting Momniscient:

Lol.

Sure thing toots.

I'd be happy to have a discussion if it were with someone who wasn't hellbent on lecturing to someone who is more informed and well rounded in an aspect that is totally irrelevant. You aren't even CLOSE to arguing with me. You're just yammering.

You should go take some critical thinking classes and practice debate. You'd do your opinions more justice that way.

This is why the bf 'movement' is such a crock. You people would be much more successful if you weren't just in it to validate your own opinions.

It's okay. Really. Your choices are your own and you don't need to be a know it all self righteous moron to make them valid.

Quoting Anonymous:

And yet again, instead of participating in the discussion, you just fling shit about.  Which tells me you are incapable of it. It's ok. It's not my responsibility to help the terminally stupid.  Momniscient is only wishfully omniscient, not nearly as bright as she thinks she is, and pretty much a bitch who can't back her own assertions up.  Noted. 

If you are really too dense to understand (as a supposed cultural anthropologist). That different cultures see breast differently, particularly as it relates to breast feeding,I can't help you.   You just aren't all that bright, are you?   And what are ya doing with that degree? Popping out babies?  It's pretty dusty, isn't it?  And mostly book learning.

Skin is a sexual organ.  Please cover yours.  I'd doubt you'll turn anyone one, but we don't need more idiots in the gene pool. It's a good precaution.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 6:52 PM
Please explain the evolution of skin as pertains to sexual selection (biologically speaking) and then make a logical analogy to boobs.

And where you are getting this covering thing from my words is completely loony tunes. Are you confused? Are there voices in your head?

I'm glad your one friend from Kenya anecdotally explained her relationship with her boobs to you in detail but that does not make for cultural or biological trends in societies ranging from developing to developed.

You aren't even in the same ballpark hon. Your are trying to play a different sport.

Quoting Anonymous:

I can assure you that my friend from Kenya did not consider boobs sexual during breast feeding. Not at all. To her, breasts and breast milk were a FAMILY resource. Had you told her to cover up while feeding she would have asked you why.

My sils (both from South America and the same country), viewed breast feeding very differently. One was from the coast and covered up, the other from the mountains and thought that was silly. Even within their own geographic areas there were generational variations.

My other sister in law considered bathing a non-sexual activity as do the Japanese. Boobs are not covered during bathing. And often during swimming. Why would they be offensive when feeding a child?

The reason boobs are considered sexually attractive? Because it indicates you can FEED your child. Because that is what they DO. For some women, a man's income or strength is considered attractive for the same reason. Shall we sexualize the almighty wallet?

Regarding the notion that nerve endings cause a breast to be a sexual organ (which for a female is ludicrous). ...,men's nipples also have nerve endings. Really their only potential purpose is simulators and vestigial.... Which makes their nipples far MORE purely sexual. Yet men's nipples are NOT considered obscene. Or requiring covering in hot weather in public places.

Secondly, the almighty boob is behind several other organs and body parts in terms of nerve endings. It isn't even in the top 10.

Boobs are sexual in some contexts, but then again those contexts vary widely by culture and location. Are you implying that ALL cultures cover up their boobs at all times? Do you run screaming from beaches in Europe wear women sunbathe topless?

Do ALL sensual body parts require cover up? Rarely. The lips are also highly sensual yet largely uncovered.

And yes, imposing your Puritanical "cover it up" idea is most definitely a case of YOU imposing your morals on people. You may feel ashamed of your breasts. I simply don't while I am breast feeding.

You are free to cover up from head to toe, in fact, I encourage it. Any person who cannot control their eyes or loins shouldn't be roaming about anyways.

I will feed my child as my priority with the organ whose primary function is to do so. And I will happily tell you to shove off. Or put clothes that I find more appropriate for you. Like a dunce cap.

Quoting Momniscient:

Well that's just stupid. Biology dictates that boobs ARE indeed sexual otherwise they wouldn't have sensitive nerve endings and be an errogenous zone that evolutionarily speaking has a lot to do with reproductive selection (selection being a biological term in this sense not a conscious choice). Boobs are a means of signalling to a body sexual desire. As well as attracting the opposite sex. In fact there are a lot of biologists (ooooh peer reviewed and vetted even) who will suggest that it is as scientifically accurate to state that boobs evolved as a sexual signalling device as it is to claim they evolved to feed kids.  Boobs are sexual and they feed things. To claim that boobs are not sexual is merely dichotomizing the issue in the exact same way that those who claim that boobs should never be flung about while a kid is attached are doing.

It's silly and counterproductive. Your boobs, my boobs, Condoleeza Rice's boobs, Mother Mary's boobs and Queen Victoria's boobs are sexual. What I said was don't try to desexualize MY boobs because you are a breastfeeding nazi.

You are taking issue with the sexualization of boobs in a puritanical context. Boobs are sexual AND they feed the spawn of humans. I don't put my tits on hiatus because I have a kid stuck to them. And to try to tell women they have to desexualize their tits for the duration of breastfeeding is silly and puritanical. No wonder America doesn't extended breastfeed like some parts of the world if they have to view their own anatomy in such a black and white way.

You keep bringing up sub saharan Africa and other such developing parts of the world. Do you really think they desexualize the tit? Have you LIVED in these parts of the world? I have not been to sub saharan africa but I have traveled extensively in the Andes and have lived in Europe and I can assure you that they ACCEPT that tits are both sensual and functional.

Quoting Anonymous:

Still all talk no action. Clearly your degree was mail order. Still no "ripping it apart". Funny that.

Ongoing assessment: momniacient is mean but not all that bright. Doesn't live up to the hype in the name.

Quoting Momniscient:

Good lord.

Take some comprehension classes too. I suspect you aren't even out of high school yet. They have classes like that in college. Even community college.

Quoting Anonymous:

Are you still talking?

Funny how you "could" rip it apart yet don't. Three times now you've referenced that. If you could rip it apart you would have by now.

Quoting Momniscient:

Lol.

Sure thing toots.

I'd be happy to have a discussion if it were with someone who wasn't hellbent on lecturing to someone who is more informed and well rounded in an aspect that is totally irrelevant. You aren't even CLOSE to arguing with me. You're just yammering.

You should go take some critical thinking classes and practice debate. You'd do your opinions more justice that way.

This is why the bf 'movement' is such a crock. You people would be much more successful if you weren't just in it to validate your own opinions.

It's okay. Really. Your choices are your own and you don't need to be a know it all self righteous moron to make them valid.

Quoting Anonymous:

And yet again, instead of participating in the discussion, you just fling shit about.  Which tells me you are incapable of it. It's ok. It's not my responsibility to help the terminally stupid.  Momniscient is only wishfully omniscient, not nearly as bright as she thinks she is, and pretty much a bitch who can't back her own assertions up.  Noted. 

If you are really too dense to understand (as a supposed cultural anthropologist). That different cultures see breast differently, particularly as it relates to breast feeding,I can't help you.   You just aren't all that bright, are you?   And what are ya doing with that degree? Popping out babies?  It's pretty dusty, isn't it?  And mostly book learning.

Skin is a sexual organ.  Please cover yours.  I'd doubt you'll turn anyone one, but we don't need more idiots in the gene pool. It's a good precaution.

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 6:52 PM
Please explain the evolution of skin as pertains to sexual selection (biologically speaking) and then make a logical analogy to boobs.

And where you are getting this covering thing from my words is completely loony tunes. Are you confused? Are there voices in your head?

I'm glad your one friend from Kenya anecdotally explained her relationship with her boobs to you in detail but that does not make for cultural or biological trends in societies ranging from developing to developed.

You aren't even in the same ballpark hon. Your are trying to play a different sport.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Momniscient:

Good lord.

Quoting Anonymous:

Are you still talking?

Quoting Momniscient:

Lol.

Sure thing toots.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 3, 2012 at 7:27 PM
I didn't claim skin was a sexual organ. I said if the criterion you are using is desire or nerve endings, skin is more a sexual organ than breasts are.

But since you don't understand couterpoint and Are clearly on the low end of the class

Since all you are doing is trying to force your inhibitions on others, you WOULD disagree. YOU are more than free to hide in a corner anytime. I will feed my kids as I see fit. And it is really more Nazi like to force ones opinion others than to say "avert your eyes if it makes you uncomfortable".

These are the same tired arguments once used when women wore pants or swim suits. "Holy cow, men will get driven mad with desire, cover women up. Sorry, sister, the world moved on". But you are welcome to stay in the 1900s and wear silly shocked looks when women feed their kids.

But since juvenile responses seem all you are capable of "you stoopid". I'll just stay with that since as noted before, it's not required of me to educate terminally stupid people. We'll just legislate you out.

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Momniscient:

Good lord.

Quoting Anonymous:

Are you still talking?

Quoting Momniscient:

Lol.

Sure thing toots.

Quoting Anonymous:

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 8:07 PM

WHAT INHIBITIONS? You are so hellbent on preaching that you don't read?

I BREASTFEED AND DON'T COVER. I HAVE NO PROBLEM WHATSOEVER WITH BOOBS BEING SEXUAL AND FUNCTIONAL. MY TITS ARE WONDERFUL AND I WILL VIEW THEM AS FUN BAGS EVEN WHILE I HAVE NURSING AGE CHILDREN.

As far as boobs and evolutionary biology... google dear. Just google. Something reputable and sciency since I'm pretty sure you wouldn't know an academic library if it ran you over.

Quoting Anonymous:

I didn't claim skin was a sexual organ. I said if the criterion you are using is desire or nerve endings, skin is more a sexual organ than breasts are.

But since you don't understand couterpoint and Are clearly on the low end of the class

Since all you are doing is trying to force your inhibitions on others, you WOULD disagree. YOU are more than free to hide in a corner anytime. I will feed my kids as I see fit. And it is really more Nazi like to force ones opinion others than to say "avert your eyes if it makes you uncomfortable".

These are the same tired arguments once used when women wore pants or swim suits. "Holy cow, men will get driven mad with desire, cover women up. Sorry, sister, the world moved on". But you are welcome to stay in the 1900s and wear silly shocked looks when women feed their kids.

But since juvenile responses seem all you are capable of "you stoopid". I'll just stay with that since as noted before, it's not required of me to educate terminally stupid people. We'll just legislate you out.

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Momniscient:

Good lord.

Quoting Anonymous:

Are you still talking?

Quoting Momniscient:

Lol.

Sure thing toots.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 3, 2012 at 8:32 PM
If that is the case then what possible problem could you have had with the point that different cultures do NOT VIEW women's breast as sexual during breastfeeding and that other body parts have been treated as "sexual" in the past or in different cultures.

Do you just get insulting and bitchy when someone points out that the statement. "Boobs are sexual". Is not necessarily true? Because when they are used for breastfeeding they are NOT sexual to many people and many cultures.

Maybe you want to think twice before being a biotch. And actually read.

Since I actually agree with the premise of the original post (that women who find boobs offensive are stranger than extended breastfeeding) I haven't minded keeping it bumped to the top.

If you feel that way, wtf with the breastfeeding nazis comment. You really are confused.

At this point, you are either arguing against your own stance (by insisting that boobs are always sexual and must always be viewed that way). Or you simply cannot bear that anyone has a different view than yours.

You have shown on this thread that you can't simply be part of a conversation, you just run about looking for validation. And cannot stand anyone presenting a different viewpoint than you. I see that as a significant character weakness for you. You must not have many friends. Do you run about in real life doing this?

In short "you still stoopid".

Quoting Momniscient:

I BREASTFEED AND DON'T COVER. I HAVE NO PROBLEM WHATSOEVER WITH BOOBS BEING SEXUAL AND FUNCTIONAL. MY TITS ARE WONDERFUL AND I WILL VIEW THEM AS FUN BAGS EVEN WHILE I HAVE NURSING AGE CHILDREN.

As far as boobs and evolutionary biology... google dear. Just google. Something reputable and sciency since I'm pretty sure you wouldn't know an academic library if it ran you over.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Momniscient:

Good lord.

Quoting Anonymous:

Are you still talking?

Quoting Momniscient:

Lol.

Sure thing toots.

Quoting Anonymous:

Sweet_Carol_126
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 11:54 PM

People have been taught.  We ar anglo saxon and anything about the body is taught to us as offensive.  I never knew why men let stinkers (farts) and never an apology.  it is natural, but we women don't do that.  We hold it and slowly try to let it queeze out so it does not make a sound or we hurry into the restroom wher we still try to hold it if there is anothr woman in there.

Most young women at my church do breast feed but we do have a room for hat.  And those who stay out in the chapel and breastfeed slip a blanket over them so it doesn't show.  We arestill too uptight about normal fuctions when that is the purpose of breasts, to find babies.  Somehow men think it is for them and so we are embarrassed by it.  It is unfortunate that we have this embarrasment of feeding babies.  Buses have threatened to put women off because f breast feeding.  I sure wouldn't want to show the boob to everyone but a diaper or a towel over the breast certainly makes it modest enough.

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 11:55 PM

With advocates like you... formula companies don't even need to spend money. Jeeeesus. You are like the poster child for what gives the LLL their title of breastfeeding douchebags of the world.

No wonder American women don't breastfeed in droves. You'd make any rational person want to do the opposite of whatever it is you think you know something about.

PS dear the validation thing is ironically amusing seeing as how I actually run around telling sanctimommies they just need validation because they are insecure in their trendy adherence to the newest and bestest fads. lol.

And yes, arrogant morons who can't see past their own smug spoonfed and hackneyed opinions and just preach preach preach with zero actual thought bring out the caustic bitch in me. It amuses me.

Quoting Anonymous:

If that is the case then what possible problem could you have had with the point that different cultures do NOT VIEW women's breast as sexual during breastfeeding and that other body parts have been treated as "sexual" in the past or in different cultures.

Do you just get insulting and bitchy when someone points out that the statement. "Boobs are sexual". Is not necessarily true? Because when they are used for breastfeeding they are NOT sexual to many people and many cultures.

Since I actually agree with the premise of the original post (that women who find boobs offensive are stranger than extended breastfeeding) I haven't minded keeping it bumped to the top.

If you feel that way, wtf with the breastfeeding nazis comment. You really are confused.

At this point, you are either arguing against your own stance (by insisting that boobs are always sexual and must always be viewed that way). Or you simply cannot bear that anyone has a different view than yours.

You have shown on this thread that you can't simply be part of a conversation, you just run about looking for validation. And cannot stand anyone presenting a different viewpoint than you. I see that as a significant character weakness for you. You must not have many friends. Do you run about in real life doing this?

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting Anonymous:

Sweet_Carol_126
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:08 AM

I thought we were to be cordial to others.  I think we need to use common sense.  By the way I do have a doctorate in law so I am not stupid unless it was because I got my doctorate in that field.  I don't care to see a woman's breast and would not want to expose my own.  However, someone who puts a clean diaper or blanket over her breast while feeding a baby in public should have no shame and it is a perfectly normal thing to do.  If she is on a bus, fine.  If she is so enamored of her breasts that she wants to look at them and have others look at them, then she is an exhibitionist.  This does not pertain to all cultures as some third-world countries do not have the luxury of having items to put over themselves and they don't wear bras or other clothing on top of the body.  We should not be criticizing them.  It is not natural in our society to expose the breasts in public, contrary to Hollywood stars who seem to show way more than necessary.  I think the argument about women in So. Africa proves the point that there are differences in culture and we need to adhere to norms in our wn culture.  However, that cannot be to the complete exclusion of breast feeding when a child is hungry.  We can and should do it as modestly as we can.  I am out of here as this hs gotten ridiculous.  I guess this was all just to argue.  First arguments need to be reasonable and  not be for the arguments sake. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 4, 2012 at 5:53 AM
Talking about yourself are ya?

You are trying to impose your view of breasts as perpetually sexual and always needing to be seen that way, despite the fact that in several contexts it isn't true. Example: bathing in a public bathhouse in Japan where the entire body despite being fully on display for a brief moment is considered to be BATHING. You would get groped on the subway more often, despite the body being fully clothed.

From an evolutionary standpoint, the primary purpose of hands is for hunting and gathering, yet, when you are typing this drivel, you are not retrieving food in any way.

The primary purpose of a mouth is for breathing and eating, yet it can also be used for speaking and sex. It's wonderful how the body is multipurpose. Shall we all cover our mouths because ONE of the purposes is sexual?

Oh, I forgot your parents didn't teach you how to have a real conversation.

You STILL stoopid.
Quoting Momniscient:

With advocates like you... formula companies don't even need to spend money. Jeeeesus. You are like the poster child for what gives the LLL their title of breastfeeding douchebags of the world.

No wonder American women don't breastfeed in droves. You'd make any rational person want to do the opposite of whatever it is you think you know something about.

PS dear the validation thing is ironically amusing seeing as how I actually run around telling sanctimommies they just need validation because they are insecure in their trendy adherence to the newest and bestest fads. lol.

And yes, arrogant morons who can't see past their own smug spoonfed and hackneyed opinions and just preach preach preach with zero actual thought bring out the caustic bitch in me. It amuses me.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)