Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My Confession: I Will NOT Tell You Merry Christmas!

Posted by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:12 PM
  • 182 Replies
11 moms liked this

And yes, I am using my SN. I'm not to chicken to post that I 'need' to post this anon.
First off, let me say that I am really tired of Christians saying that "They" are taking Christ out of Christmas and how 'wrong' it is to say "Happy Holidays" instead. They, of course, being everyone who isn't Christian.
Christmas is the Christian interpretation of the Pagan holiday of Saturnalia. All the traditions- round bulbs on the tree, hanging mistletoe, wreaths, the tree itself- they are Pagan symbols that were adopted by early Catholics when the Church was seeking to convert members.
And Christmas being Christ's birthday? Right. Even Christians believe that he was born sometime around spring. That whole thing about it being the Saviors' birth? That, too, is a Pagan belief. At Yule, or the Winter Solstice, Pagans see it as the birth of our God, from our Goddess. So, if you REALLY want to celebrate Jesus' birth, pick a springtime date and celebrate then.
Next, and just as importantly- THERE ARE OTHER HOLIDAYS THIS TIME OF YEAR THAT HAVE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH CHRITMAS!!!
There is Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Bodhi Day, and New Years, to name a few. So, to say "Happy holidays" is not to 'Take Jesus out of Christmas', but, more simply, to INCLUDE other religions and let people know that, while you don't believe, you still RESPECT their right to believe and practice any religion they feel, in their hearts, is true.
Even if I was Christian, I would say "Happy holidays" because I would know that there are others, and by acknowledging them, I would know that I am NOT taking Jesus out of the season- just accepting that there are others and RESPECTING the fact that they HAVE THE RIGHT TO PRACTICE AND CELEBRATE THEIR HOLIDAYS, TOO!

That is all.
Have a very nice holiday season, one and all.
Love and light.

Mother to (IMO) the two best kids EVER born. I am a vaxing, corporal punishment (when called for!), loving, teaching my kids to be good, kind, caring, strong, independant people kinda MOMMA.
I am almost an LMT and love making people feel good!

by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:14 PM
8 moms liked this

Egh... I don't care what anyone says to me. I could care less if they wish me a Merry Christmas or Happy Hanukkah or Joyous Kwanzaa and I would go right ahead and say the same back to them even if I don't celebrate or believe.

gotnothinonme
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't care what anyone says, or if they acknowledge the holidays at all. I'm a certain faith and practice a given set of rituals, that doesn't mean HEARING a different type fo greeting or none at all will burn my ears, scald my eyes or send me into some wierd fit, lol....say what you want or nothing at all. I have no idea how people can get worked up about this stuff.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:15 PM
4 moms liked this
Did you also put up a holiday tree? Jeez you people have to analyze the fuck out of everything
outtamymynd
by Ruby Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:15 PM
Eh, whatevs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissLoveLyfe
by ShellBell on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:16 PM
K.. Doesn't matter to me one way or the other...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
casah4
by Gold Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:16 PM
2 moms liked this

Every freakin' year.

Grumpylilpixy
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:16 PM
18 moms liked this

My Confession " I will not tell you Happy Holidays" You will get Merry Christmas from me. 

Schleetle
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:16 PM
3 moms liked this
I'm not worried about it... A nice greeting is a nice greeting.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Lovemyfamilyof8
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:17 PM
2 moms liked this

Wow, Christmas is a symbolic time to honor Jesus. I couldn't give two ounces of puppy shit what you believe BUT you are insulting and condemning Catholics/ Christians the exact same way they did you. You're a sad sad person, Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas ( from me a Catholic) Happy Kwanzaa and Happy Hanukkah.... I mean really? Who cares lady?

lovnmy3boys
by Paula on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Doesn't matter to me...to each their own  :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)