Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My Confession: I Will NOT Tell You Merry Christmas!

Posted by   + Show Post

And yes, I am using my SN. I'm not to chicken to post that I 'need' to post this anon.
First off, let me say that I am really tired of Christians saying that "They" are taking Christ out of Christmas and how 'wrong' it is to say "Happy Holidays" instead. They, of course, being everyone who isn't Christian.
Christmas is the Christian interpretation of the Pagan holiday of Saturnalia. All the traditions- round bulbs on the tree, hanging mistletoe, wreaths, the tree itself- they are Pagan symbols that were adopted by early Catholics when the Church was seeking to convert members.
And Christmas being Christ's birthday? Right. Even Christians believe that he was born sometime around spring. That whole thing about it being the Saviors' birth? That, too, is a Pagan belief. At Yule, or the Winter Solstice, Pagans see it as the birth of our God, from our Goddess. So, if you REALLY want to celebrate Jesus' birth, pick a springtime date and celebrate then.
Next, and just as importantly- THERE ARE OTHER HOLIDAYS THIS TIME OF YEAR THAT HAVE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH CHRITMAS!!!
There is Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Bodhi Day, and New Years, to name a few. So, to say "Happy holidays" is not to 'Take Jesus out of Christmas', but, more simply, to INCLUDE other religions and let people know that, while you don't believe, you still RESPECT their right to believe and practice any religion they feel, in their hearts, is true.
Even if I was Christian, I would say "Happy holidays" because I would know that there are others, and by acknowledging them, I would know that I am NOT taking Jesus out of the season- just accepting that there are others and RESPECTING the fact that they HAVE THE RIGHT TO PRACTICE AND CELEBRATE THEIR HOLIDAYS, TOO!

That is all.
Have a very nice holiday season, one and all.
Love and light.

Mother to (IMO) the two best kids EVER born. I am a vaxing, corporal punishment (when called for!), loving, teaching my kids to be good, kind, caring, strong, independant people kinda MOMMA.
I am almost an LMT and love making people feel good!

by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:12 PM
Replies (41-50):
LyTe684
by Ruby Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:38 PM
Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Egh... I don't care what anyone says to me. I could care less if they wish me a Merry Christmas or Happy Hanukkah or Joyous Kwanzaa and I would go right ahead and say the same back to them even if I don't celebrate or believe.

Insulin is not a cure, it's life support.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:38 PM

I think it's way too much thought into something unimportant. They are just words, and I feel either way is rarely said with offensive intent. I respond with whatever is said to me. If you say Happy Hanukkah to me, I'm going to say the same thing back. I celebrate Christmas and have no problem with Merry Christmas, but Christmas has no religious meaning for my family.

AHmom103
by Gold Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:38 PM

I still fail to see why anyone cares. People are too sensitive. If you (general) can't tolerate hearing "Merry Christmas" because you aren't a Christian, that's your problem, not mine. Same goes for those who hate hearing "Happy (insert preferred holiday here)". Not my problem if you don't like hearing it.

Lovemyfamilyof8
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Because not everything you stated is the truth. OUR Christmas traditions are based on St. Nicholas an actual man who would deliver gifts to children on their door steps on December 25th. Also, OUR Christmas is to honor the birth of Christ, that is NOT taken from Pagans, that is from the bible love. Yes we adapted some traditions such as lights, and other silly Holiday related things, BUT you opinion of the truth is altered. Sharing a similar date does not mean that all things good come from Pagans..... Learn about gift giving and it's origins ( St. nicholas). Read a bible and actually learn why they used the date December 25th.

Quoting Sandiekd21:

How am I insulting and condemming Catholic/Christians by stating the truth?

Quoting Lovemyfamilyof8:

Wow, Christmas is a symbolic time to honor Jesus. I couldn't give two ounces of puppy shit what you believe BUT you are insulting and condemning Catholics/ Christians the exact same way they did you. You're a sad sad person, Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas ( from me a Catholic) Happy Kwanzaa and Happy Hanukkah.... I mean really? Who cares lady?

Proud Army wife and SAHM to seven! christmas treeholding ornaments

melissa632
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:43 PM
This...

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Egh... I don't care what anyone says to me. I could care less if they wish me a Merry Christmas or Happy Hanukkah or Joyous Kwanzaa and I would go right ahead and say the same back to them even if I don't celebrate or believe.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
emeraldangel2.0
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:44 PM
Quoting lovnmy3boys:

Doesn't matter to me...to each their own  :)

Sandiekd21
by Platinum Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Because I am Wiccan, which is a Pagan religion.
Also, because it is fun for my children.

Quoting Anonymous:

Why did you put up a tree?

Quoting Sandiekd21:

Yes. I do have a tree up.

Quoting Anonymous:

Did you also put up a holiday tree? Jeez you people have to analyze the fuck out of everything

Mother to (IMO) the two best kids EVER born. I am a vaxing, corporal punishment (when called for!), loving, teaching my kids to be good, kind, caring, strong, independant people kinda MOMMA.
I am almost an LMT and love making people feel good!

Lovemyfamilyof8
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:45 PM

I. When was Jesus born?

A. Popular myth puts his birth on December 25th in the year 1 C.E.

B. The New Testament gives no date or year for Jesus’ birth. The earliest gospel – St. Mark’s, written about 65 CE – begins with the baptism of an adult Jesus. This suggests that the earliest Christians lacked interest in or knowledge of Jesus’ birthdate.

C. The year of Jesus birth was determined by Dionysius Exiguus, a Scythian monk, “abbot of a Roman monastery. His calculation went as follows:

a. In the Roman, pre-Christian era, years were counted from ab urbe condita (“the founding of the City” [Rome]). Thus 1 AUC signifies the year Rome was founded, 5 AUC signifies the 5th year of Rome’s reign, etc.

b. Dionysius received a tradition that the Roman emperor Augustus reigned 43 years, and was followed by the emperor Tiberius.

c. Luke 3:1,23 indicates that when Jesus turned 30 years old, it was the 15th year of Tiberius reign.

d. If Jesus was 30 years old in Tiberius’ reign, then he lived 15 years under Augustus (placing Jesus birth in Augustus’ 28th year of reign).

e. Augustus took power in 727 AUC. Therefore, Dionysius put Jesus birth in 754 AUC.

f. However, Luke 1:5 places Jesus’ birth in the days of Herod, and Herod died in 750 AUC – four years before the year in which Dionysius places Jesus birth.

D. Joseph A. Fitzmyer – Professor Emeritus of Biblical Studies at the Catholic University of America, member of the Pontifical Biblical Commission, and former president of the Catholic Biblical Association – writing in the Catholic Church’s official commentary on the New Testament[1], writes about the date of Jesus’ birth, “Though the year [of Jesus birth is not reckoned with certainty, the birth did not occur in AD 1. The Christian era, supposed to have its starting point in the year of Jesus birth, is based on a miscalculation introduced ca. 533 by Dionysius Exiguus.”

E. The DePascha Computus, an anonymous document believed to have been written in North Africa around 243 CE, placed Jesus birth on March 28. Clement, a bishop of Alexandria (d. ca. 215 CE), thought Jesus was born on November 18. Based on historical records, Fitzmyer guesses that Jesus birth occurred on September 11, 3 BCE.

emeraldangel2.0
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Jesus was not born on the 25th. it was actually late sping/early summer. Christians decided to celebrate his birthday on December 25 so it could coincide with Yule. True story.

Quoting Lovemyfamilyof8:

Because not everything you stated is the truth. OUR Christmas traditions are based on St. Nicholas an actual man who would deliver gifts to children on their door steps on December 25th. Also, OUR Christmas is to honor the birth of Christ, that is NOT taken from Pagans, that is from the bible love. Yes we adapted some traditions such as lights, and other silly Holiday related things, BUT you opinion of the truth is altered. Sharing a similar date does not mean that all things good come from Pagans..... Learn about gift giving and it's origins ( St. nicholas). Read a bible and actually learn why they used the date December 25th.

Quoting Sandiekd21:

How am I insulting and condemming Catholic/Christians by stating the truth?

Quoting Lovemyfamilyof8:

Wow, Christmas is a symbolic time to honor Jesus. I couldn't give two ounces of puppy shit what you believe BUT you are insulting and condemning Catholics/ Christians the exact same way they did you. You're a sad sad person, Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas ( from me a Catholic) Happy Kwanzaa and Happy Hanukkah.... I mean really? Who cares lady?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:47 PM

my boob itches

*scratches boob*

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)